DVD/DTS Poll Mansun - SIX [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Mansun - Six

• 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 reissue of the 1998 album "Six" by the band Mansun.
This deluxe edition from Kscope includes a new 5.1 surround mix of the album by Paul 'P-Dub' Walton.

(y):)(n)
Six Front.jpg

six back.jpeg

six disc.jpeg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/mansuns-six-5-1-remix-coming-in-2019.23645/

Mix: 4/5: Strange mix. Far from perfect but also often very good. A lot of up front sound. But also a lot in the rears at times. Weirdly, almost all lead vocals are in the rears. (I thought this was because I needed to reduce the rears slightly but there is a fairly clear demarcation between the front (drums, bass + other bits) and the rears (lead vox and other stuff) so it seemed intentional.) But this doesn't sound totally out of place because the whole album is willfully different. The sounds are fairly easy to place but do seem a little blurred, possibly due to the sound quality.

Sound: 2/5: Not awful, but there's a lot of sludge which means it's not easy to distinguish individual sounds. (Apparently the band recorded in a room with lots of spillage and intentionally 'dirtied up' the sound in post-production.)

Music: 4/5: A little too metal for me but catchy, lots of variety, interesting themes and I admire its ambition

Interesting book which gives a lot of insight into the writing. Generous length (70 mins of surround) + loads of extra tracks (CD only)

Score: 3*4+2*2+1*4=12+4+4=20/30=6.66/10 = 7/10.

Back