DVD/DTS Poll Katatonia - NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Katatonia - NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY

• 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 reissue of the 2009 album "Night Is The New Day" by Katatonia.
This deluxe edition from Kscope includes a new 5.1 surround mix of the album by Bruce Soord.
96-khz/24-bit lossless 5.1 FLAC files can be purchased at Immersive Audio Album.

(y):)(n)
NIND Front.jpg

NIND Back.jpeg

NIND Disc.jpeg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...t-is-the-new-day”-box-set-with-5-1-mix.26137/

Some great songs on this one, "Idle Blood" and "Inheritance" would certainly make my personal Katatonia best of playlist. Bruce Soord's 5.1 remix is, for the most part, really well-done: Jonas' vocals and the bass guitar are fixed to the front stage, while backing vocals, keys, rhythm guitar, electronic percussion, and tom fills emerge from the rear speakers. The mix really shines on the mellower passages ("Inheritance" - wow!), but the heavier moments are somewhat marred by an unpleasant harsh quality to the cymbal crashes. If the cymbals were less piercing at high volume and heavy guitars were a touch more prominent, the surround mix would be nearly perfect in my book.

I gave The Great Cold Distance a "7" and The Fall Of Hearts a "9", so this gets an "8" from me.

Back