DVD/DTS Poll Midnight Oil - CAPRICORNIA [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS CD of Midnight Oil - CAPRICORNIA

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2002 release from the band Midnight Oil.
This DTS-CD from DTS Entertainment contains a DTS-ES discrete 6.1 surround mix by the late Greg Ladanyi.

(y):)(n)
Midnight Oil Front.jpg

Midnight Oil Disc.jpeg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/midnight-oil-capricornia-dts-es.113/

Midnight Oil were a great band and this is one of my favorites by them. Front speakers are somewhat compressed but not badly enough to ruin the audio. I don't have a rear speaker so cannot comment on the full 6.1, but the DTS-CD is really discrete in 5.1 and gives me a greater appreciation for the arrangements' multiple layers of sound. Believe I bought this around 2009 and have listened to it many times. It's a must-have for fans of The Oils.

I pretty much agree with @hafquark's take - the music and surround mix are great, but the overall sound quality takes it down a few notches. There's definitely a muddy, crowded quality to the drums in the front speakers. I'd sure like to hear "Beds Are Burning" in a surround format someday, maybe they'll do it as an Atmos single on one of the streaming services?

Midnight Oil are one my favourites; I have tickets to one of the upcoming shows. I'm frustrated with the surround sound offering (having extracted the 5.1's from the live recordings - Oils on the Water DVD, Saturday Night At the Capitol DVD and Armistice Day bluray) - all front focused; not much happening in the rears. Thankfully I like Capricornia, but it seems to lack punch in DTS CD form. Always living in hope that Aus Rock can take surround a bit more seriously---

Back