Quad LP/Tape Poll Stone, Sly: High On You [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SQ/Q8 of Sly Stone - High On You

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 -

• 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
High On You was Sly Stone's first solo album and final quad release, issued on SQ matrix-encoded LP and quad 8-track in December 1975. The follow-up to Sly & The Family Stone's 1974 release Small Talk, High On You featured the US #3 R&B hit "I Get High On You" alongside the singles "Le Lo Li" and "Crossword Puzzle".

Sly Front.jpeg
Sly Disc.jpeg
Sly Q8 Front.jpeg
Sly Q8 Back.jpeg

Epic PEQ 33835 [SQ LP] EAQ 33835 [Q8]
Discogs links: Q8 / LP
Wiki for the album: High On You
Quadraphonic remix engineer: Roy Segal, Tom Lubin
Quadraphonic remix supervision: Sly Stone
Quadraphonic mastering: George Horn

Side 1
  1. I Get High On You
  2. Crossword Puzzle
  3. My World
  4. Who Do You Love?
  5. Green Eyed Monster Girl
Side 2
  1. Organize
  2. Le Lo Li
  3. That's Lovin' You
  4. So Good To Me
  5. Greed

I'd love to read people's thoughts about this quad mix. Anyone?
Haven't listened to it often enough/carefully enough to say much, though I bet @sjcorne has. I've heard good conversions of both the SQ LP and the Q8. My rough notes give the mix 4 stars out of 5 and say that even the Q8 has better-than-average sonics and even the SQ LP has a lot of good channel separation. I'll put it back in the queue.

I'd love to read people's thoughts about this quad mix. Anyone?
Haven't listened to it often enough/carefully enough to say much, though I bet @sjcorne has.
It's been a while since I've listened too, but I remember it being a fairly-typical mid-70s CBS mix with the rhythm section arrayed across the front speakers and various isolated horns/strings/backing vocals in the rears. I think I preferred the music on Small Talk to this one.

It's been a while since I've listened too, but I remember it being a fairly-typical mid-70s CBS mix with the rhythm section arrayed across the front speakers and various isolated horns/strings/backing vocals in the rears. I think I preferred the music on Small Talk to this one.
I'd confirm your memory--although you know "typical" better than I do. Lead & backing vocals plus bass & drumkit (and sometimes percussion) across the fronts, horns (and sometimes strings) in stereo across the rears. Organ either in the fronts or split across left front & rear, rhythm guitar usually left rear, guitar accents usually right rear, call-and-response vocal accents from Sly alternating between left and right rear. Gloriously loud and busy and fonky--it's Sly, after all--but I'd say there's a lower percentage of genuinely catchy or distinctive tunes compared to Small Talk. "Le Lo Li" is especially nice, though. And there's nothing sloppy or tossed-off about this album. If Dutton reissued it, I'd be all over it. I vote an 8.

Back