Quad LP/Tape Poll Stylistics, The: The Stylistics [CD-4]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the CD-4 of Stylistics, The - The Stylistics

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
The Stylistics' 1971 self-titled debut album was their first of several quad releases, issued solely in Japan on CD-4 LP in 1973. Recorded at Philadelphia's Sigma Sound Studios and produced by Thom Bell, the album featured the hit singles "Stop, Look, Listen (To Your Heart)" and "You Are Everything".

The quad LP omits the song "You're A Big Girl Now" entirely and swaps the positions of "You Are Everything" and "Betcha By Golly Wow", presumably to balance the running time between sides and/or prevent carrier distortion in the inner grooves.

Stylistics Front.jpeg
Stylistics Back.jpeg
Stylistics Disc.jpeg

Avco CD4W 7057 [CD-4 LP]
Discogs links: LP
Wiki for the album: The Stylistics

Side 1
  1. Stop, Look, Listen (To Your Heart)
  2. Point Of No Return
  3. You Are Everything
  4. Country Living
Side 2
  1. Betcha By Golly, Wow
  2. People Make The World Go Round
  3. Ebony Eyes
  4. If I Love You

I replied to this thread already but my comments seem to have been removed without explanation. So I am reposting!

Firstly I think that this is a rather odd choice for a poll, it was released only in Japan. There are currently no copies for sale anywhere at any price! I have never come across a conversion of it either. It would be great if Dutton/Vocalion would consider this for re-release! I will be surprised if anyone here even has a copy much less will ever be casting a vote.

I can vouch for content great however. I've always liked The Stylistics but imagined the all male group as having a female lead singer! I have all of these tracks on various compilation albums and on a CD compilation. I even chose "You're a Big Girl Now" as the song for the father daughter dance at my daughters wedding!

Last edited:
tbh i only have a few AVCO CD-4's because they're so tough to find for sensible money but these two were ok money and in ok shape and play great, i used to enjoy them a lot. thankfully they don't suffer the dreaded CD-4 crackle noise throughout like The Stylistics S/T! 😅

8A34E161-492D-4053-A8EC-DA1BBD0B3579.jpeg

Firstly I think that this is a rather odd choice for a poll, it was released only in Japan. There are currently no copies for sale anywhere at any price! I have never come across a conversion of it either. It would be great if Dutton/Vocalion would consider this for re-release! I will be surprised if anyone here even has a copy much less will ever be casting a vote.
There is plenty of precedent for including rarer Japan-only titles in the polls, including some I'd argue are even harder-to-find than this one (Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, Hot Butter's Popcorn, etc). I have a copy as well, the quad mix seems similar to Van McCoy's Disco Baby with a lot of the orchestration and some harmonies in the rear speakers. Interestingly, the bass guitar in "Stop Look Listen" is mixed almost entirely to the back.

Thom Bell in surround. Heaven.

there's a surprising amount and its all wonderful! 🥰

highlights include Johnny Mathis' "I'm Coming Home" Quad, 3 Quads from The Spinners (Spinners, New & Improved, Pick Of The Litter), 7 from The Stylistics (Stylistics, Round 2, Thank You Baby, You Are Beautiful, Heavy, Let's Put It All Together & Rockin' Roll Baby) and now we have two Elton tracks in stunning Atmos (Are You Ready For Love & Mama Can't Buy You Love) 💘

For anyone interested, here's a quick look at "Stop Look Listen" from the CD-4 LP:

Stylistics 01 CD4.jpg

Front channels are mostly drums and vocals, while the rears carry strings & brass (the trombone solo towards the end is clearly isolated in the left rear speaker) plus reverb from the instruments upfront. If not for the bass mixed to the back, I'd say it's a pretty modern-sounding surround mix.

Attachments

• Stylistics CD4 Rear Sample.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
I don't own the CD-4 LP but thanks to people here I have a copy of the conversion of this and of "Round Two". Sound quality of the conversion is acceptable. Sad that "You're A Big Girl Now" is missing. I wonder if a quad mix of that track was done as well but not released? It would be fantastic if DV could re-release this and "Round Two". Mix wise it's a bit subdued, spacious but it doesn't blow you over. I'm giving it a seven.

Back