Quad LP/Tape Poll Rich, Buddy: A Different Drummer [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the CD-4/Q8 of Buddy Rich - A Different Drummer

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 -

• 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Alternatively titled Superstar in some territories, this 1971 release from drummer Buddy Rich was issued on quad 8-track in the United States (as part of RCA's original 'PQ8' series) and CD-4 LP in Japan.

Buddy Rich Q8 .jpeg
Buddy Rich CD4.jpeg
Buddy Rich Disc.jpeg

RCA R4P 5015 [CD-4 LP] PQ8-1819 [Q8]
Discogs links: Q8 / LP
Wiki for the album: A Different Drummer

Side 1:
  1. Superstar
  2. Domino
  3. Chelsea Bridge
  4. Paul's Tune
Side 2:
  1. Straight, No Chaser
  2. Heaven On Their Minds
  3. Pipe Dreams
  4. Countin' Them Long White Lines
  5. Piece Of The Road
  6. Back Of The Bus

8. An above average mix and performance from a drum master. Nothing overly adventurous in mix, fidelity and performance. Further from poor and far closer to great. Perhaps a smidge better musical performance than I expected. Bought the Q8 49 years ago. It was the day before I got CR-80DSS.

My points of reference:
1- CBS jazz and jazz fusion Quad mixes, most of which are pretty "discrete"
2- Harry James' 3 Sheffield Direct-to-Discs for big band fidelity
3- Doc Severinsen orch as a standard for a not as adventurous jazz big band
4- Don Ellis for a modern big band that swings, yet is one of the more progressive

My rating criteria:
1- Mix doesn't do anything tricky or gimmicky, but is still fairly "discrete"

2- A friend in the record biz was pruning his collection and sold me his mint Japan CD-4 a few years ago. Not as good fidelity as D-to-D's, though way above average for '71 recordings. With MC cart a quantum leap better fidelity than Q8. Surprise!

3 & 4- Many solid, swingin' jazz performances and a few that grabbed me. Cover of Van the Man's Domino is a delight. A notch below Van's original, but a fuller sound. Disclaimer: I'm a mega Van the Man fan. Perhaps stylistically halfway between 30's-40's big band and Don Ellis.

If you love jazz big bands and/or Quad, you need this. Everybody loves Quad.

8. An above average mix and performance from a drum master. Nothing overly adventurous in mix, fidelity and performance. Further from poor and far closer to great. Perhaps a smidge better musical performance than I expected. Bought the Q8 49 years ago. It was the day before I got CR-80DSS.

My points of reference:
1- CBS jazz and jazz fusion Quad mixes, most of which are pretty "discrete"
2- Harry James' 3 Sheffield Direct-to-Discs for big band fidelity
3- Doc Severinsen orch as a standard for a not as adventurous jazz big band
4- Don Ellis for a modern big band that swings, yet is one of the more progressive

My rating criteria:
1- Mix doesn't do anything tricky or gimmicky, but is still fairly "discrete"

2- A friend in the record biz was pruning his collection and sold me his mint Japan CD-4 a few years ago. Not as good fidelity as D-to-D's, though way above average for '71 recordings. With MC cart a quantum leap better fidelity than Q8. Surprise!

3 & 4- Many solid, swingin' jazz performances and a few that grabbed me. Cover of Van the Man's Domino is a delight. A notch below Van's original, but a fuller sound. Disclaimer: I'm a mega Van the Man fan. Perhaps stylistically halfway between 30's-40's big band and Don Ellis.

If you love jazz big bands and/or Quad, you need this. Everybody loves Quad.
I was fortunate to see Don Ellis Big Band on a rare east coast tour in support of his only quad album. Unfortunately the venue was a large college basketball arena, but the music was transcendant.

Back