HiRez Poll Kristofferson, Kris - SILVER TONGUED, BORDER LORD, CAPRICORN & SPOOKY LADY'S [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Kristofferson, Kris - SILVER TONGUED, BORDER LORD, CAPRICORN & SPOOKY LADY'S

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
To Comments.png

Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2022 Multichannel SACD from Dutton Vocalion containing four(!) albums from singer-songwriter Kris Kristofferson.
This Multichannel SACD features the first official release of the original Quadraphonic mixes since the 1970s!

THE SILVER TONGUED DEVIL AND I
LP Z 30679 (1971) STEREO/ZQ 30679 QUADRAPHONIC

1 The Silver Tongued Devil and I (Kristofferson)
2 Jody and the Kid (Kristofferson)
3 Billy Dee (Kristofferson)
4 Good Christian Soldier (Bare; Shaver)
5 Breakdown (A Long Way from Home) (Kristofferson)
6 Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I’ll Ever Do Again) (Kristofferson)
7 The Taker (Kristofferson; Silverstein)
8 When I Loved Her (Kristofferson)
9 The Pilgrim – Chapter 33 (Kristofferson)
10 Epitaph (Black and Blue) (Kristofferson; Fritts)

BORDER LORD
LP KZ 31302 (1972) STEREO/ZQ 31302 QUADRAPHONIC

11 Josie (Kristofferson)
12 Burden of Freedom (Kristofferson)
13 Stagger Mountain Tragedy (Kristofferson)
14 Border Lord (Kristofferson; Fritts; Bruton; Paul)
15 Somebody Nobody Knows (Kristofferson)
16 Little Girl Lost (Kristofferson)
17 Smokey Put the Sweat on Me (Kristofferson)
18 When She’s Wrong (Kristofferson)
19 Gettin’ By, High and Strange (Kristofferson)
20 Kiss the World Goodbye (Kristofferson)

JESUS WAS A CAPRICORN
LP KZ 31909 (1972) STEREO/ZQ 31909 QUADRAPHONIC

1 Jesus Was a Capricorn (Owed to John Prine) (Kristofferson)
2 Nobody Wins (Kristofferson)
3 It Sure Was (Love) (Kristofferson)
4 Enough for You (Kristofferson)
5 Help Me (Gatlin)
6 Jesse Younger (Kristofferson)
7 Give it Time to be Tender (Kristofferson; Fritts)
8 Out of Mind, Out of Sight (Kristofferson; Bruton)
9 Sugar Man (Kristofferson)
10 Why Me (Kristofferson)

SPOOKY LADY’S SIDESHOW
LP PZ 32914 (1974) STEREO/PZQ 32914 QUADRAPHONIC

11 Same Old Song (Kristofferson)
12 Broken Freedom Song (Kristofferson)
13 Shandy (The Perfect Disguise) (Kristofferson)
14 Star-Spangled Bummer (Whores Die Hard) (Kristofferson)
15 The Lights of Magdala (Murray)
16 I May Smoke Too Much (Kristofferson)
17 One for the Money (Kristofferson)
18 Late Again (Gettin’ Over You) (Kristofferson)
19 Stairway to the Bottom (Kristofferson)
20 Rescue Mission (Kristofferson; McGuinn; Neuwirth; Cassell)
21 Smile at Me Again (Kristofferson; Bruton)
22 Rock and Roll Time (Kristofferson; McGuinn; Neuwirth)

Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J Dutton

Multi-Channel/Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SACD
These Hybrid CDs can be played on any standard CD player

2CDLK4635

Kris Front.jpeg

Kris Back.jpeg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-september-2022-surround-sound-sacds-3.32846/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back In the early seventies I remember "Jesus Was a Capricorn" as being a popular album. I wasn't much into country at the time so took no real notice. I did love the movie "Cisco Pike" however. You would think that "Cisco" was semi-autobiographical but in fact it was conceived with a different actor in mind. Rightly or wrongly It did help form in my mind just who Kris Kristofferson was, a struggling singer/songwriter with a chequered past.

In the late seventies I found an SQ copy of "Border Lord" in the cut-out bin. Obviously I snapped it up. Upon listening to it for the first time I thought that hey this is not bad at all! The recording reminded me of the style of country music that you would often hear on the jukebox in one of our local "watering holes"! Over the years I did pick up copies of the other quad albums but "Border Lord" remained my favourite.
Border Lord is one of the few CBS quads with full centre vocals. To encode that would've required use of the SQ encoders internal position. The advantage of that placement is that you can sit in any position and get almost the same surround effect. All four channels are equally busy all the time. With the other recordings the sound becomes front oriented when the instrumentation is sparse.

Sadly the first album was not done in quad. I would love to hear "Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down" and "Me And Bobby McGee" given the quad treatment!

I'm giving the set a 9.

OUT OF THE BLUE and a background of silence comes THE SILVER TONGUE DEVIL AND I and three other QUAD Kris K treasures all masterfully remastered for hybrid SACD by the master himself, THE WIZARD of WATFORD UK! Was never a big C & W fanboy, but Kristofferson's gravelly vocals, his crackerjack back up band and heartfelt lyrics surely made a temporary country boy outta me!

Played DSD out through an all analogue Parasound P7 pre amp ....... the sonics are stunning on every conceivable level with judicious use of the rears which colalesce into a gorgeous soundstage throughout all four albums.

The WIZ has spoiled us all ....as we anxiously await more and MORE and with this latest batch of QUAD SACDs from the RCA and COLUMBIA catalogues never ceases to amaze me with how very exquisite these and all other D~V QUAD SACDs sound.

BTW, Like Jesus, I'm a Capricorn .... but the similarities end there!

IMO, nothing less than a 10!

I voted 9.
I fell in love with this 4 album set, not so much from the 4.0 surround, but the music.
Of course I have heard of Kris Kristofferson my whole life and when I started
listening to this new 2 disc set from Dutton Vocalion I was blown away.
I had no idea Kristofferson was so deep in country, whiskey, women and hard times, and a litttle bit of trucks and momma. I always thought he was, weird pop, or lousy country, I certainly never gave the man a chance.
The 4.0 is just perfect, it flows so cool with his voice and lyrics. The sonic quality is top notch, can hear everything so nice, even and spread out x 4.
Go back and purchase, you'll be glad you did.
The reason I voted 9 is I prefer 5.1 or Atmos better and reserve my 10's for those, but it hits all the marks and is a 10.

Keep poll threads pure. No off topic chatter, just your own story and experience in respect to the music release poll, please.

Hard to vote on this one, since the mixes and the material vary. For me, the takeaway from listening to these four albums in order is how much more interesting Kristofferson's sound and songwriting became once he committed to going fully "outlaw." (And how, when he went outlaw, he was so deeply under the influence of that notorious lawbreaker John Prine, whose spirit is all over both Jesus and Spooky Lady.) But man, Jesus Was a Capricorn is such a great album! Standout of the set. Nice, clean production, and Mike Figlio hit a home run on what was evidently his first and only major-league quad at-bat.

By the time Kristofferson decamped to LA for the next album, it sounded like he was trying a little too hard, and the louche persona had already become sort of a schtick. But that's okay; it's a good schtick. Anyway, I'll be spinning Disc 2 a lot more than Disc 1.

Keep poll threads pure. No off topic chatter, just your own story and experience in respect to the music release poll, please.

I'll only pollute this under-engaged & abandoned poll thread briefly to bring my story and experience in respect to the music.

My wife watched the Willie Nelson 90th birthday tribute concert & was shocked at the state of Kris when Roseanne Cash brought him out to duet on Loving Her Was Easier (Disc One, Track 6, Silver Tongued Devil, 1971).

I had forgotten about it, but googling refreshed my memory that he was mis-diagnosed with Alzheimers and given up as a lost cause decades ago until he got treatment for the actual problem: Lyme disease from a tick bite.

He's darn near as old as Willie at 87, deserving of the respect shown by bringing him onstage.
A courageous example of fortitude in the face of the ravages of age & health challenges.

Dutton's release of this Quadfecta will stand in perpetuity as part of his legacy, with his two biggest hit records in full Nashville Cats 70s studio production.

I’ll add my two cents worth as well, although I don’t have the discs in question yet. I do have them in SQ, though.

Way back when, we saw Kris in concert at the Universal Amphitheater. He was still married to Rita Coolidge, and she sang “We’re All Alone.” Universal Amphitheater was about an hour’s drive from out home in OC, but we probably saw a couple of concerts a year there.

Last edited:
I had forgotten about it, but googling refreshed my memory that he was mis-diagnosed with Alzheimers and given up as a lost cause decades ago until he got treatment for the actual problem: Lyme disease from a tick bite.
Holy cow! That news is over 7 years old now and I didn't know about it. I had it in my head all this time that he was suffering from dementia. Thank you for setting me straight!

Just noticed this thread.
I have never heard any of these albums before. I know that Kris is a very good song-writer and has been covered numerous times.
I think these 4 albums are really well done musically and mix-wise and the quad is an excellent way to hear Kris’s music. The price of the DV discs is very reasonable.
I give it a strong 9.

Back