HiRez Poll Nugent, Ted - FREE-FOR-ALL [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Ted Nugent - Free-For-All

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2022 Multichannel SACD from Dutton-Vocalion of Ted Nugent's Free-For-All.
This Multichannel SACD features the first official release of the original Quadraphonic mix since 1976!

(Please note that this SACD also features the 1977 album Cat Scratch Fever in stereo only)

FREE-FOR-ALL
LP PE 34121 (1976) STEREO/PEQ 34121 QUADRAPHONIC
1 FREE-FOR-ALL (Nugent)
2 DOG EAT DOG (Nugent)
3 WRITING ON THE WALL (Nugent)
4 TURN IT UP (Nugent)
5 STREET RATS (Nugent)
6 TOGETHER (Davies; Grange)
7 LIGHT MY WAY (St. Holmes; Grange)
8 HAMMERDOWN (Nugent)
9 I LOVE YOU SO I TOLD YOU A LIE (Davies)

Ted Nugent (lead and rhythm guitar, bass, vocals)
Cliff Davies (drums, percussion, background vocals)
Rob Grange (bass)
Derek St. Holmes (vocals, rhythm guitar)
Meat Loaf (vocals)
Steve McRay (keyboards, backing vocals)
Tom Werman (percussion)

Recorded at The Sound Pit, Atlanta
Recording engineer: Anthony Reale
Mixed at CBS Recording Studios, New York
Mixing engineer: Tim Geelan
Remixed in quadraphonic at CBS Recording Studios, New York
Quadraphonic sound/remix supervision: Flash Rhomboid
Quadraphonic remix engineer: Tim Geelan
Producers: Tom Werman, Cliff Davies, Lew Futterman

Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J Dutton

Multi-Channel/Stereo
Tracks 1-9 available in stereo and multi-channel

SACD
This Hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD player

CDSML 8585

s-l1600.jpeg

An 8 I guess. It's too bad Cat Scratch Fever wasn't in quad, but I thought the stereo mix sounded fine. Free for All did the trick though - and it's the only Nuge in surround I've ever heard.

An 8 I guess. It's too bad Cat Scratch Fever wasn't in quad, but I thought the stereo mix sounded fine. Free for All did the trick though - and it's the only Nuge in surround I've ever heard.
Do tell. An 8. How do you break it down? The quad mix is 8? Content? Curious. :)

Got mine yesterday but haven't given it a critical listen yet... just the first few tunes, which sounded great.

This mix is killer. Crisp, clean, well-balanced. Guitars everywhere, and you can hear every different part being played. A good surround mix will make you realize how things were layered on top of one another to achieve the final product, and this one does that. There isn't movement in this mix, but most rock mixes-- this one included-- don't call for it. Static is fine and expected, and this one is a home run as far as I'm concerned.

I had this LP back in the 80’s, it hasn’t aged well for me, sounds very dated, Meat Loaf’s vocals are brilliant and it’s a great mix, good value with Cat scratch fever (even though it’s a nightmare playing it), I am very easily pleased and would normally give a 10 but because of the music I vote a 9

I have Ted Nugent SACD self-titled (it rocks), and I ordered this double disc last night. I used to have Cat Scratch Fever on 8-track as well as the Amboy Dukes. Anyway with the reviews here, I ordered it.

Reactions: GOS
I have Ted Nugent SACD self-titled (it rocks), and I ordered this double disc last night. I used to have Cat Scratch Fever on 8-track as well as the Amboy Dukes. Anyway with the reviews here, I ordered it.
It's actually a single disc, FYI. FFA is the quad mix. CSF is stereo only, and the FFA stereo mix is on the same layer.

Back