HiRez Poll Zappa, Frank - WAKA/WAZOO [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Frank Zappa - WAKA/WAZOO

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2022 release of the classic Frank Zappa albums "Waka/Jawaka" and "The Grand Wazoo", collected together in this new box set entitled "Waka/Wazoo".
This new box set includes a Blu-Ray audio disc with both albums newly remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos.
Both Dolby Atmos mixes are also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers:

Pre-release discussion thread: Frank Zappa Waka/Wazoo Deluxe 4CD + Blu-Ray 5.1 and Atmos!!!!

(y) :) (n)

71IQ+7z6uaL._SL1200_.jpg

81dswqlLGvL._SL1500_.jpg

release_201601_15_WAKAJawaka_1500-1024x1024.jpg

release_201601_16_GrandWazoo-1024x1024.jpg

[this pertains to the 5.1 TrueHD mix only, I do not yet have or plan on an Atmos setup]

It would he hard to give this anything short of a 10/10. Although there's some level difference between the albums, they both sound fantastic and the soundstage / spread of the instruments around the room is a great way to present the often 'orchestrated chaos'. The density of Zappa's compositions lends itself well to surround mixing. I can see returning to this bluray and focusing on a different set of instruments with each listen.

I've not gotten through the 4 CDs of bonus material, what I previewed sounded good. The bluray is exceptional as an archive of a unique Zappa era/lineup. Looking forward to more Zappa surround, it seems we're in for some releases. Buckle up.

Last edited:
Voting 10 on this. Phenomenal sound and mix. Sublime to say the least

The rest of the box set is spectacular as well. Joe Travers outdid himself putting this one together.
No Sh____T! Listening to the 5.1/7/1 blu ray on my 5.1 family room system using ROON as I ripped the blu ray. Totally BATSH_T Phenomenal. When my theater renovation is done some months from now I'll be able to really hear it in full Atmos glory. Amazing multi-channel mix and sonics.

Voted 8 on this set , but for Waka Jawaka alone I'd say 9 , Grand Wazoo I'd say 7.

They both have decent surround for me as I listened in 5.0. Now musically I like Waka Jawaka much better, so there's that.

But a big PITA for Grand Wazoo , because you really really have to crank the audio to hear it properly. I could understand a slight difference , but not this much. I know I'll get used to it in time (just as I did with the DVDA of Halloween)

Hopefully in future recordings of Zappa in Surround they address that problem appropriately.

Anyway please keep the series coming and thanks for these two from Frank's Best years. (And better yet still to come)

So more Hot Rats I would say in conclusion !

My CD/Blu-ray set arrived today from Chalkys.com who appear to offer the best UK price. I struggled for quite a while to access the navigation screens on the Blu-ray. The PRODUCER's NOTE in the booklet fails to mention that you have to pretend you are on Tinder and swipe left or right to access the relevant menu for the tracks and format you wish to navigate from. Very impressed with the 5.1 mix (I do not have a Dolby Atmos installation (yet)). I am rather less impressed with the lack of Hi-Res versions of the content of the 4 CDs. I had to opt for downloads for them. A better job could easily have been done with the Blu-ray but given its limitations, this is still a very worthwhile release. Let's hope they make a better job of authoring the next Blu-ray release (6-channel Dolby Atmos + 5.1 surround mixes of Civilization Phaze 3, please).

Please vote, you're in a poll thread. It helps other members make judgement on purchase.

An easy 10 for me. I love this period of Zappa's music. The 5.1 mix is very well done and evidently follows Frank's notes/sketches for proposed quad mix. The bass is mainly in center channel and was a little too prominent on my system, but after lowering it a bit everything is nicely balanced. I'm only halfway through the 4 CDs and am enjoying them thoroughly. Brilliant stuff. I even sprang for the limited edition colored vinyl which look and sound gorgeous.

The latest episode of the Zappacast covers this release in great detail. A must listen for fans of this period. "Vaultmeister" Joe Travers talks a fair amount about the surround mix and about surround in general. He gives his reasons for why he thinks Atmos has a chance to survive where all previous surround formats have failed.

https://www.zappa.com/zappacast-episode-57-the-grandest-wazoo-waka-jawaka-too/#/

Love this disc, a no-brainer 10/10. Hard to imagine how this could be mixed any better. Sonics are INCREDIBLE considering this was performed 50 years ago.
No volume issues with my setup and I think the BD navigation is genius simple, wish more discs were authored this way.

Leaves me wanting to hear more..."One Size Fits All" awaits.

Please see most recent edit. 10 for the music content but 8 for the Blu-ray authoring and lack of navigation advice,
You verbalized your vote. Please actually cast a vote at the top of this thread. Know your votes seriously help future members get a glimpse at the general population's view of a surround release.

Would have preferred 96/24 for the surround mixes, both albums are very low and you need to pump up the volume to get the best out of them, the Grand Wazoo album is even a few decibels lower. But despite all that I still think the mises are worthy of 10 out of 10.

Would have preferred 96/24 for the surround mixes, both albums are very low and you need to pump up the volume to get the best out of them, the Grand Wazoo album is even a few decibels lower. But despite all that I still think the mises are worthy of 10 out of 10.
Atmos is never 96, always 48

I have voted 5/10. Zappa in general is 10/10 with me, especially Grand Wazoo is definitely a 10/10, but sorry, there must be a severe mastering or authoring problem with this Blu Ray disc. It cannot be that everytime I switch from dolby Atmos to PCM Stereo I get blasted out off my seat if I do not decrease the volume quick enough. The BD is defective in my eyes/ears and should be reworked and replaced.

I gave it a 9. The music and the mix are phenomenal. I have been listening to these albums since 1973, and this a big improvement. I am in quad-heaven!
It would be a 10 for me if not for the flickering (which I consider to be a defect. If it was intentional, it was bad idea), and that it goes to the loud stereo in-between albums. They shouldn't have music in the menus for these things.

I've voted 9, I love these albums so was really pleased to see them remixed in 5.1. As mentioned by others, the volume needs to be ramped up and the flickering menu's are a little distracting, Waka Jawaka sounds best to me, Grand Wazoo somehow sounds a bit 'flat', hard to describe but it's lacking somehow, but hopefully this will be the start of more Zappa in 5.1.

An easy 10 for me. I love this period of Zappa's music. The 5.1 mix is very well done and evidently follows Frank's notes/sketches for proposed quad mix. The bass is mainly in center channel and was a little too prominent on my system, but after lowering it a bit everything is nicely balanced. I'm only halfway through the 4 CDs and am enjoying them thoroughly. Brilliant stuff. I even sprang for the limited edition colored vinyl which look and sound gorgeous.

The latest episode of the Zappacast covers this release in great detail. A must listen for fans of this period. "Vaultmeister" Joe Travers talks a fair amount about the surround mix and about surround in general. He gives his reasons for why he thinks Atmos has a chance to survive where all previous surround formats have failed.

https://www.zappa.com/zappacast-episode-57-the-grandest-wazoo-waka-jawaka-too/#/
Listened to the podcast. Really cool to hear these Zappa experts! Did I hear Travers hint at a Hot Rats III release? Was some of the material from Sleep Dirt/Studio Tan recorded in Quad? That would be amazing...

Back