HiRez Poll Mellencamp, John - SCARECROW [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of John Mellencamp - SCARECROW

• 10: Terrific Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2022 reissue of the classic John Mellencamp album "Scarecrow" which has been newly remixed in Dolby Atmos.
The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers:

(y) :) (n)

91eXx-sdpPL._SL1500_.jpg

81FLG0d-5ZL._SL1278_.jpg

61lXv9ghFLL._SL1200_.jpg

For me this is an 10 for the music pleasure. The sound is much richer and in every way better than the previous verions. The Atmos gives much more than the new stereo track offers. What is lacking is that the back speakers should have been higher in volume to get discreet audio pleasure.
That is how i am listening to it and if the disc had sounded like that from the beginning i would have given this an 10

I really like this album and was beyond disappointed when I played the Dolby Atmos layer. I had turn the volume up at least 15 points higher than any other Dolby Atmos album I've played. The surround was mixed so low I could barely even tell the rear speakers were active. The volume level between songs wasn't even consistent. As much as I like this album the only thing that sounded decent was the stereo layer and that's not what I got the album for. Personally I wouldn't recommend this to anybody.

Well, I finally picked this one up from Amazon. The price came down to $57.50 with tax to Ohio. Not bad considering everything in this set.

I agree with what everyone had to say about the BD. First of all the Atmos mix (Dolby True HD 7.1 on my set up) is recorded extremely low on the disc. A real workout for your amps! My normal volume setting is around -28. I had to push this to -15 to achieve the same db output. My rig has plenty of headroom so it wasn't a problem however I wonder if this was an engineering mistake? I also boosted the rear channels by 3.5 db. After all of that, it sounds great.šŸ˜„
The first track "Rain on the Scarecrow" for some reason is in 5.1 only.

The 24/96 stereo tracks are recorded at a normal level and there are 11 bonus tracks.

There is a half speed mastered 180g LP. A 7" 45 RPM single of "Small Town". Acoustic version on side B. Both sound very nice! Two additional CD's with the album on one bonus tracks on the other. Also a nice 20 page book, poster and photos.

Content: 10

Sound Quality: 7
(based on low Atmos level)

Mix: 7
(Based on low level of rear channels)

I would give an extra point for the stereo content. I like the vinyl.

I will round this up to an 8, but I am being generous considering all the futsing that is nessasary.

Dennis

Last edited:
Back