HiRez Poll Crystal Method - LEGION OF BOOM [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Crystal Method - LEGION OF BOOM

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Crystal Method Front.jpgCrystal Method Back.jpg

Last edited:
The mix is pretty cool, but the songs get boring REAL fast. I took it off 3/4 the way thru and put on Toys In The Attic in 5.1
AND.....for so called electronica, the bass is pretty crappy! When I put Toys on, my walls shook! CM has a lot of tinny drum sounds. Still a cool disc, but not a classic. 7 only cuz the mix is pretty awesome.

I just got this one a week ago. Not bad, but not great. The surround mix is pretty good, the music gets old fast, though there a couple of good songs. I couldn't give it more than a 6.

daved64 said:
The mix is pretty cool, but the songs get boring REAL fast. I took it off 3/4 the way thru and put on Toys In The Attic in 5.1
AND.....for so called electronica, the bass is pretty crappy! When I put Toys on, my walls shook! CM has a lot of tinny drum sounds. Still a cool disc, but not a classic. 7 only cuz the mix is pretty awesome.

Exactly what he said. :D

yes I agree, I gave a 6 because the mix was cool. But I got tired of listening to it. Now I can barely listen to the first tracks and I have to stop it. Don't get me wrong, it's quality music, but not my cup of tea.
I would suggest Amon Tobin "Chaos Theory" instead, wich is way more interesting and bare a comparable mix, if not better.

CarcPazu

Love the music, mix and sound quality. It's 48/24, but it really doesn't matter. It just packs an awesome punch.

I found out today that the video portion of this disc has an extended version of "Born Too Slow" in DTS 5.1. I found it while browsing the contents with DVD-Audio Extractor (www.dvdae.com). I'm not sure how you'd access it from the actual disc, or where it appears (perhaps it plays over a gallery or something)?

It's 3:51 minutes long (the regular song runs 3:04), and as far as I can tell, most or all of the extension is in the middle section, which has a lot of cool extra beats. I prefer it to the regular version!

I just got this one a week ago. Not bad, but not great. The surround mix is pretty good, the music gets old fast, though there a couple of good songs. I couldn't give it more than a 6.

After owning this for a few years and hardly ever listing to it, i listened to it last week and finally decided to sell it. Just not my taste in music.

I give it "9". The mix and the sonics are awesome. Electronica is tailor-made to be in surround. If you don't like electronica, then this album isn't going change your mind, but it is very good for what it is.

Not CMs best album, so I won't give it a "10" but this is a great disc.

Love the music, mix and sound quality. It's 48/24, but it really doesn't matter. It just packs an awesome punch.

I found out today that the video portion of this disc has an extended version of "Born Too Slow" in DTS 5.1. I found it while browsing the contents with DVD-Audio Extractor (www.dvdae.com). I'm not sure how you'd access it from the actual disc, or where it appears (perhaps it plays over a gallery or something)?

It's 3:51 minutes long (the regular song runs 3:04), and as far as I can tell, most or all of the extension is in the middle section, which has a lot of cool extra beats. I prefer it to the regular version!

Hey guys! Today, while playing this back in SMPlayer on Linux, I noticed that the channels were all out of whack in the extended "Born Too Slow" 5.1 DTS MKA I had extracted. The vocals came from the rears. So I opened it in VLC and it played correctly, which confused me a bit. I decided to look into this file with Xrecode, and it turns out that it actually had 7 channels in it, not 6!

Back in 2016, when I extracted the extended version from the DTS-ES track, DVDAE, though telling me it only recognized 5.1, actually grabbed all 7 channels of this 6.1 mix from the disc.

I went ahead and opened the MKA in Audacity, then duplicated the single rear channel, turning this into a 7.1 file (but with the same contents in both rear channels), then saved that as FLAC. Very happy that I now can listen to the 6.1 mix from my Linux machine.

So for those of you who have only been listening to the 5.1 mix and couldn't get 6.1 to work, this is one way you could get the 6.1 to play properly.

Back