HiRez Poll McDonald, Michael - Motown Two [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Michael McDonald - MOTOWN 2

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Both volumes are excellant - musically I prefer the song selection of Vol 2..

Gets a 9 from me for great SQ and mix and because both discs are played regularily..

I wasn't sure about the concept of Michael McDonald singing Motown classics but I was surprised at how well it came off (which I guess is why they opted for a sequel).

Michael has a very distinctive voice that people either love or hate. Personally, I love his voice, and it works very well with these songs. I was especially impressed with how good his vocals sound when backed by female soul singers. It really adds a delightful dimension to his presentation.

The surround mix here is just right. I have no complaints at all. It is well balanced, with plenty of discrete elements to help break down the mix and allow you to appreciate the individual sounds.

I gave this title an 8. There are a couple of things that bother me about it. The first is that I have bias against albums composed of cover tunes, no matter how good they might be. Second, the concept does wear thin, and after a few songs I find myself wanting to go back to the originals.

Great review, Cai. You and I feel the same about cover tunes. I usually hate it when someone sings "someone elses" song, thinking that if I want to hear the song, I'll listen to the original. It is a rare occurance when a cover version is as good as or better than the original.

Still, MD's voice is perfect for Motown, and while every song does not work (as in the first SACD), many do. And the updated production and vocal arangements are done quite well.

Although these tunes may not be as well known "titles" as the first disc, you will find that you recognize many as they play.

Since we are so hard up to get HiRez surround releases out there, this one at least is enjoyable, if not perfect.

I too give it an 8. I am glad they released this one in HiRez, as it could have gone the other way quite easily. So, again, THANKS UMG! Keep 'em coming and I'll buy 'em.

(Speaking of covers, I still cannot bring myself to get the Rod Steward DVD-A of his first "Standards" disc. To me, MD doing Motown is fine, RS singing standards, well, there is something not quite right with that, to me anyway. Of course, I must be wrong, as they are now on the THIRD release of this type of material (although not in HiRez surround))

:-jon

JonUrban said:
I too give it an 8. I am glad they released this one in HiRez, as it could have gone the other way quite easily. So, again, THANKS UMG! Keep 'em coming and I'll buy 'em.

(Speaking of covers, I still cannot bring myself to get the Rod Steward DVD-A of his first "Standards" disc. To me, MD doing Motown is fine, RS singing standards, well, there is something not quite right with that, to me anyway. Of course, I must be wrong, as they are now on the THIRD release of this type of material (although not in HiRez surround))

:-jon
I have only heard the stereo cd of Motown 2, and the slick production had me pining for the originals. Maybe in surround it's different.

As for Rod........if you buy it Jon, you must sell the TL, buy a minivan, and hang a little soccerball from the rearview mirror! ;)

JonUrban said:
I usually hate it when someone sings "someone elses" song, thinking that if I want to hear the song, I'll listen to the original.

Yeah, I also wondered why more Motown artists are not released in multichannel like Marvin Gaye. It seems to me that when the Marvin Gaye albums were recorded, other Motown artists like Stevie Wonder (wouldn't Songs in the Key of Life http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1050769&cart=236850889&style=music&Bab=E be TOO GROOVY :steering: in multichannel!!), Temptations, etc. had great albums as well.

So in the meantime, I'll enjoy the McDonald Motown 1 and 2 SACDs and dream....

This is a good recording....I give it a 7.

Ed

Last edited:
51Giuxa2NiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Back