HiRez Poll Earth, Wind & Fire - ALIVE IN '75 [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Earth Wind & Fire - ALIVE IN '75

• 10: Excellent Mix, Excellent Sonics, Excellent Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

A good live set from one of my favorite bands. Musically good, but the surround mix is so-so, IMHO--mainly crowd noise. Might be some percussion scattered back there as well. Just glad to have another album from the mid 70s, so I rated it an 8.

This is a great disk!

The band's performance is superb, and the sonics of this disk are very good.

The mix is what you would expect from a live album, with a few discrete bits thrown in here and there.

Any Earth Wind & Fire fans should not be with out this disk.

I vote a 7.

This is a terrific snapshot of the band at the height of its popularity. The sound is quite impressive for a mid-70s live show and the group is in great form (and presented here without any overdubs/studio sweetening). Apart from some swirling elements in Overture the rears pretty much stick to ‘back of house’ reverb and audience. I’m sure this will disappoint some but since the audience is part of the show, actively clapping, applauding and cheering throughout, I find the surround experience effective. The sound also benefits from a dry bass and kick drum feed (and occasionally other elements) to the center channel providing some extra snap and clarity. Nice song selection including several hits and the added bonus of jazz great Ramsey Lewis on Rhodes for a tune. Good stuff all around. A solid 9 for me.

This is a terrific snapshot of the band at the height of its popularity. The sound is quite impressive for a mid-70s live show and the group is in great form (and presented here without any overdubs/studio sweetening). Apart from some swirling elements in Overture the rears pretty much stick to ‘back of house’ reverb and audience. I’m sure this will disappoint some but since the audience is part of the show, actively clapping, applauding and cheering throughout, I find the surround experience effective. The sound also benefits from a dry bass and kick drum feed (and occasionally other elements) to the center channel providing some extra snap and clarity. Nice song selection including several hits and the added bonus of jazz great Ramsey Lewis on Rhodes for a tune. Good stuff all around. A solid 9 for me.
The Gratitude mix is WAAAY better....

The live tracks on Gratitude are mixed in a similar fashion to Alive in '75 (band in front, crowd around you) but the studio tracks are extremely discrete, lots of instrumentation in the rear speakers. I don't really have a problem with it as it was obviously a stylistic choice on their part to give you the 'in the crowd' perspective rather than 'in the middle of the band'.

The only drawback with Gratitude is the brightness levels have been set to 'stun'.

Just acquired this for a reasonable price.
Not the most impressive multichannel mix…was thinking it was expendable, but then I got to “That’s The Way of The World”, where they “take us back to church” as they put it.
Now…this may also be impressive on a redbook CD, but I’ll never know as this is a keeper now 👍🏼

Back