DVD/DTS Poll Clapton, Eric - 461 Ocean Blvd. [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Eric Clapton - 461 OCEAN BLVD

• Total voters
I gave this one a 7, as the mix ranges from inspired to very strange indeed.
If you are familiar with the stereo version, then you'll know how track 1 - Motherless Children - has that awesome slide guitar throughout providing the main riff. In this, the original Quad mix BTW, this is almost inaudible.
Yet tracks like "Willie & the Hand Jive" and "Let it Grow", the latter in particular, are almost sublime in their delivery.
It's one you should definitely buy if you are a fan - how it stacks up to the SACD I have no idea. I will be waiting for the promised DVD-A of that mix myself.

But, all in all, well worth the buying.

A '6' from me....this was just the point where Clapton seemed rather uninspired, though there's no denying he's very loose and relaxed here.

The mix itself, as Neil says, is erratic in nature....at times the mixes will make sense, and at others, it's as if no one referenced the stereo mixdown first. This is not unusual in Quad or 5.1 mixes by any means, but more obvious here, I think, than on many other albums.

Enjoyable but...doesn't knock me on my arse...

ED :)

Unlistenable. One of the worst-sounding quad releases. 2.

Atrocious sonics and eq. At least it has an aggressive mix, but I for one don't care.

The SACD is worlds better, IMHO.

picked this up for a cool £5:00 on the Amazon Market place recently, and not dissappointed. the mix is erratic yes but it has a quirky charm.

shame its not a full DVD-A but hey like the music and the mix when its good its very good. 8

Clapton's best album in great sound. I could listen (and have listened) to Mainline Florida a dozen times in a row. Superb.

Attachments

• EC - 461 DTS.jpg
    EC - 461 DTS.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 405
A "6".

Sound-quality wise, not a patch on the other Clapton Quad to DTS CD (There's One in Every Crowd) and a million miles away from the incredible SACD 5.1 of 461 OB.

I only keep it for completists' sake, in all honesty.

After revisiting in my 2012 Acura TL/Tech/ELS, I give it a 6.5
As others have stated, sonics are strange compared to the SACD
Saving grace is that it's 5.1 in my car; SACD only plays stereo/dolby digital
through 10 speakers
Good, not great vehicle disc; Mainline Florida rocks!

BTW: For some reason this DTS disc does NOT show tracks in my Acura/ELS
Only DTS disc I'm aware of that does this
Anyone else experience the same with this or other DTS discs?

Back