HiRez Poll Ferry, Bryan - BOYS AND GIRLS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bryan Ferry - BOYS AND GIRLS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and observations...............(y) (n)

R-1447420-1378535558-1061.jpeg.jpg

R-1447420-1378535257-9391.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this album every bit as much as Avalon. Beautiful mix... great sound... it could be Avalon part 2. I give this one a 9.

I gave it a 10. I think this album is better than Avalon sonically and it could have been part of of 2 disk release of Avalon, the material is very similar.

The surround mix on the song "Slave To Love" reminds me a woeful 12" inch B-Side remix. I appreciate it when the surround mix enhances previously released material not dramatically changes it. The sweeping vocal effects are very distractive to me.

This is most disappointing as I was eagerly awaiting this release.

Greg

I'm pleased with the album and mix, but it is mastered about 3-4db louder than Avalon...sigh...

Yes, it does have an AVALON feeling to it...very lush, smartly mixed, really does surround you in its ultracool glow. A '9' while realizing a few mixes are a bit more radical than anything attempted on AVALON, but it all works, IMO.

ED :)

This, along with Avalon, is oone of the only 2 SACD discs I have heard & actually like enough to buy.
Superb.
Not quite as well done as Avalon to my mind - slightly too loud in the mastering - but a superb sounding disc just the same.

Like many have mentioned this is a good disc to pick up if you like Roxy Music's 'Avalon'

I wasn't sure if I would know much of the songs on this album but 'Don't Stop the Dance' stood out right away and to most may be the most recognisable track on the album.

The multi channel track is all I ever listen to on this one and has a a very good mix whilst the recording quality is also excellent. Don't own any of Bryan Ferry's other albums but if this is anything to go by then I may get round to looking into some others. Good music and great SACD. Recommended.

9/10 (y)

Excellent solo release from Mr. Ferry, maybe his best? It doesn't have quite the emotional push that Avalon does, but Avalon is a perfect "audio-disiac", so it's not fair to compare. I don't know, the surround mix on Boys and Girls kind of makes me a little dizzy. A 7 from me

I have been a Roxy Music fan since the early 70's (back when Brian Eno was still in the line up), and have loosely followed Bryan Ferry's solo career as well. Personally I prefer Roxy Music's early stuff (1970-76), as it was slightly more raw and edgy. If anyone is interested I can highly recommend "The Best Of Roxy Music" on stereo SACD.

Bryan Ferry's "Boys and Girls" has lush, rich sound arrangements, with a Roxy Music like quality. IMO the content of the album is much like "Avalon," but overall falls just a bit short in comparison. The musical style itself suggests Big 80's (which I normally tire of quickly), however this does hold my interest.

The surround mix is immersive and a pleasure to experience. Guest musicians on B&G include the likes of David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler. This title is a very worthwhile acquisition, It rates an 8 for me.

I am presently absorbing Bryan's latest recording "Dylanesque," which is a collection of Bob Dylan cover songs. I must say for an aging crooner, his vocal talents still shine.

Dennis

Bryan Ferry has a number of interesting phases. I've downloaded 3 tracks from Dylanesque and enjoy them (like earlier Dylan covers over the years) quite a bit. Would love to have Bete Noir (1987) in surround.

Roxy Music - Thrill Of It All is still one of my favorites and possibly one of the best conceived and executed box set concepts ever released. Would you say the Best Of SACD (stereo) was really that much better?

Saw Ferry in '77 and Roxy in '79 & '83; should have been bolder at 16 and driven to Santa Monica to see Roxy Music in 1974!

Roxy Music - Thrill Of It All is still one of my favorites and possibly one of the best conceived and executed box set concepts ever released. Would you say the Best Of SACD (stereo) was really that much better?

Tim, I didn't know of this collection until I just now looked it up. Very nice indeed! I do think the stereo tracks in DSD sound great, especially for headphone listening.

The comparision with Avalon is obvious. The surround mix is as good, even a bit more active maybe (I like that). The sound is more "in your face" (louder) but still enjoyable.
Stereo SACD's are a mistake IMHO, and the "Thrill of it all" box is a kind of anthology of the Roxy Music, great when you don't have most of their albums.

I have the stereo SACD of the Roxy Music "Greatest Hits" album, and it is dreadful. The sonics are really bad - it starts to irritate me after 2 or 3 tracks to the point I have to turn it off altogether.
This title though, superb.
Avalon = Superb.
Also - the Ferry DVD-A I have is the best I have from him (Frantic)

This was on my "to buy" list, and I happened to find it at a local BB. I agree that if u like Avalon, you should like B&G.

I liked Boys & Girls a lot with very definitive use of the surrounds for discrete instrumentals and some vocals. Gave it a 9 for mix & content.

If only Best of Roxy Music was in multi-channel not stereo. Love Is the Drug would have been awesome.

In surround, it would have been Love is the DRUGS.

A 9. I still prefer Avalon, or even Flesh & Blood (2ch on Flesh). Yet, this IS one of his best solo efforts. I'm complete on both Ferry and RM, both SACD and CD. Also have the 4 CD UK box. Good mix, and I love Slave to Love and Don't Stop the Dance. I saw him live at the Arie Crown at McCormick Place, Chicago around this time. It was a great show. A 35 yo woman sitting in front of me exclaimed: I want to have his baby! So much for foreplay.

If only Best of Roxy Music was in multi-channel not stereo. Love Is the Drug would have been awesome.

A superb disc!

I still prefer Bryan Ferry's "Frantic" DVDA both for content and sound quality but marginally so, this is still exceptionally good stuff.

The sound is so clean without sounding unnatural or messed about with, the songs are slick yet engaging, the surround mix is active without being overpowering, it still fits nicely with the content and the overall package is very classy, in-spite of being completely 'no-frills'.

If you don't already own this and can find a copy for sensible money, do not hesitate, you cannot fail to be impressed.

Gave this one a 10........Snood a lil Biased as to this is my fave Ferry Solo effort and the soundscape surrounds you and pulls you into it's world.

Content wise, the music was amongst his best even rivaling some the best of later Roxy era.

Surround wise, for me it was other worldly. Lost time listening to it 3 times in a row.

Simply Beautiful :banana:

Back