HiRez Poll Esteban - Enter The Heart [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Esteban - ENTER THE HEART

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations about this title...(y) (n)

Last edited:
I have this disc, and it is very good. The music is very well-crafted and listenable "New Flamenco" style guitar, and a pleasing and fairly aggressive surround mix that puts you in the middle of the stage. I gave it an 8, but it could be a 9.

However, this is a full-blown high-resolution DVD-Audio release, not a low resolution DTS Disc. I think it should be in the Hi-Rez music poll forum rather than here.

VACamper said:
However, this is a full-blown high-resolution DVD-Audio release, not a low resolution DTS Disc. I think it should be in the Hi-Rez music poll forum rather than here.

Actually, it IS a DTS disk. I have it, and it is very good. Excellent surround mix, and very nice sound quality for a lossy format. Mike.

I have this release also, and while it is released on the DTS label, it is in true, DVD-A multi-channel format. Recommended - I give it an 8.

I have this release also, and while it is released on the DTS label, it is in true, DVD-A multi-channel format. Recommended - I give it an 8.

It is indeed a full-blown DVD-A here.
This guy can really play, and the only thing that stops me giving this a 9 or a 10 is that the mix actually sounds faked in places - check out track 7 for certain, maybe track 6 as well. Turn off the front 3, and you have a heavy reverbed wash in Ls/Rs.
This is a minor niggle, and I could also be wrong.
The record sounds wonderful and he has a lot of serious soul in his fingers, making that acoustic come alive.

HIGHLY recommended, discrete or unwrap.

I decided to go ahead and give this one a 9. Nice, immersive surround mix. Some of it is reverb, but there is plenty going on in the surrounds. Miking is on the close side with good fidelity. The music is polished and quite soothing. One might say it's "Smooth Flamenco". Some of the percussion and other instruments add a mystical Middle-Eastern & Indian flavor. Esteban's Flamenco guitar playing is excellent.

I decided to go ahead and give this one a 9. Nice, immersive surround mix. Some of it is reverb, but there is plenty going on in the surrounds. Miking is on the close side close with good fidelity. The music is polished and quite soothing. One might say it's "Smooth Flamenco". Some of the percussion and other instruments add a mystical Middle-Eastern & Indian flavor. Esteban's Flamenco guitar playing is excellent.

haha WOW! A thread from the past...good one Lute. I don't have this disc, but I know Esteban is an excellent musician....hmmmm. Might have to see if I can locate a copy...

That's about what I paid for it. I love finding these little surround treasures. I went to my local music shop to pick up some of AF's new SACDs and came across a nice display of DVD-As. I picked up 6. I would have gotten more but I had just scooped up 12 classical SACDs in a different shop.

I think you'll like Esteban. It may not be groundbreaking music, but it's a good disc to kick back to and crack open a brew. :brew

That's about what I paid for it. I love finding these little surround treasures. I went to my local music shop to pick up some of AF's new SACDs and came across a nice display of DVD-As. I picked up 6. I would have gotten more but I had just scooped up 12 classical SACDs in a different shop.

I think you'll like Esteban. It may not be groundbreaking music, but it's a good disc to kick back to and crack open a brew. :brew

I tend to place more and more value on kick-back music as time goes on.

I decided to go ahead and give this one a 9.
Thanks for the recent posts on this one, Lute and all. I've been tempted to buy it more than once but couldn't get a good sense of the quality. It still doesn't show up in the Hi-Rez DVD-A Surround Poll unfortunately. It also seems the price can spike, usually when I'm looking to buy.:violin

Been a while since anyone has commented on this one! I am listening now. I voted a 7. The fidelity is excellent and the performances are fine if not spectacular. My gripe is that much of the content is solo guitar, and as such reverb is about all there is to offer on those tracks. Mind you, there are some tracks with multiple instruments, and these tend to be well mixed in surround. I was hoping for more ensemble music, which is more conducive to an active surround mix.

The good news is this disc can often be found for reasonable money if you like the music. Discogs has one for $10 now, and I have seen it often in the past at Amoeba Hollywood.

Back