Quad LP/Tape Poll Mandingo: The Primeval Rhythm Of Life [SQ]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "The Primeval Rhythm Of Life"

• 10: Great Mix, Great Sound, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 So-so

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
By special request: a most interesting and unusual Quad entry! There are many obscure Quad's out there that haven't been much discussed, and while I've heard of this one, I've yet to actually *hear* it....;) But I'm sure others have, and so:

Side 1:

1. Mandingo
2. Black Rite
3. Medicine Man
4. Jungle Wedding
5. Chant Of The Virgins

Side 2:

1. Sacrifice
2. Tiger In The Night
3. Black Fire
4. Moon Goddess
5. Pagan Ritual

Attachments

• Mandingo Primeval Rhythm of life.jpg
    Mandingo Primeval Rhythm of life.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
This is one of the disk i've read the most controversial comments. Someone said "it's just a make-up of some British lads that enter in a studio and pretend to go wild...", some other qualified it as "the cheesy side of Enoch Light masked by ethnic style" and so on.
For me it has been a surpise: some songs are good and one especially is a favourite of mine, "Black rite". It's quite nice and the drum lines on the back are really ok. BTW, it will be also the perfect song that will find its perfect place on a movie sequence where people are going strong with joints, dope and so on - a perfect style match with TYA "i'd like to change the world".

For sure not a mandatory quad release but... it does have its moments. 7.

I cannot vouch for this title, but my Q8 player came with a free copy of 'Mandingo III' by this group (which actually is just a bunch of studio musicians trying to make what can be described as 'modern tribal music,' apparently trying to cash in on some craze). I still cannot believe that they made 3-4 albums and had them mixed in quad! The music is very odd but is catchy and the quad mix (at least on Mandingo III) is very discrete and a lot of fun.

James

I've got the cd of this which is SQ encoded, but unfortunately out of print. The cd I have actually says SQ quadraphonic and the liner notes talks about remastering from the original Abbey Road 1/4" masters, going on to flatly declare: "The tapes are quadraphonic "SQ" encoded".

I just revisted this one through a well-tuned TATE. It is very discreet and has lots of swirling effects. Some of it is a little excessive (to the point of cheesy), but a worthy title nonetheless. They definitely took full advantage of all 24 tracks on the multi-track machine. Well mixed. I gave it a 7

I too have the Mandingo III on Q8, and have to agree that it is very discrete (for a while, this tape was a demo for my q8 system).

A questionable title, in many ways an exploitation of cultures regarded as 'exotic' and a vastly, grossly homogenized look at what a privileged group of white European men thought was African music. But given that times and attitudes have gladly shifted somewhat, what are we left with? Looking beyond the cash-in you're left with a gleefully over the top quad romp that features giant drums, massive strings, vast brass replete with wig out guitars and walking, groovy bass lines. The song titles are horrendous and seem utterly crass, there's no sugar coating the deeply suspicious attitudes towards the subject matter but 'Black Rite' is worth the price of admission alone, it's an utter monster of a tune with an arrangement that cascades all around, corner to corner transforming the listening space into some vast hall. You literally feel surrounded on each side with percussion and the back cover of the LP goes into detail about the array of instrumentation featured. Some of what you hear on this (and the other Mandingo quads) was rightfully reclaimed by the sampling culture of hip hop and rap but I still feel that this album has an uncomfortable place in the quad cannon of the seventies. It's beautifully engineered and the quad mix is strong, the playing throughout is stellar, I just wish it had actually properly embraced the cultures it rips off, featuring artists that would have benefitted from the exposure rather than what it is, a cash in. 8 for the album, 0 for the exploitation.

IMG_3919 copy 2.jpgIMG_3922 copy.jpgIMG_3924 copy.jpgIMG_3923 copy.jpg

Thanks for the pics of the SQ LP and the reminder of this title as I've got the Aussie CD somewhere that looks very similar and has the same Quad graphics on the front cover but I don't remember ever playing it.. :eek: ..I'll have to check it out with the Surround Master, no excuses!

I haven't got this one, but I know British library music king Roger Webb was involved, so it can't be all bad.

Webb's song 'Flying Objects' was used in the movie Boogie Nights as the background music for the documentary that Amber Waves (Julianne Moore) directs about Brock Landers (Mark Wahlberg).

[video=youtube;zkEwmc4rHpU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkEwmc4rHpU[/video]

Thanks for the pics of the SQ LP and the reminder of this title as I've got the Aussie CD somewhere that looks very similar and has the same Quad graphics on the front cover but I don't remember ever playing it.. :eek: ..I'll have to check it out with the Surround Master, no excuses!

It will sound wonderful! I think all CDs of this are SQ encoded. Mandingo III is the other obvious standout here, Ed - do you think we could have one for each of the Mandingo's? - that would Be 'Sacrifice', Mandingo III and 'Savage Rite'. Each worthy of a review, despite the cringeworthy sleeves and titles.

I haven't got this one, but I know British library music king Roger Webb was involved, so it can't be all bad.

Webb's song 'Flying Objects' was used in the movie Boogie Nights as the background music for the documentary that Amber Waves (Julianne Moore) directs about Brock Landers (Mark Wahlberg).

[video=youtube;zkEwmc4rHpU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkEwmc4rHpU[/video]

Thanks Steelydave, Webb has one more track on Mandingo III that is awesome. Alan Ainsworth is more heavily involved in the next three albums as well.

It will sound wonderful! I think all CDs of this are SQ encoded. Mandingo III is the other obvious standout here, Ed - do you think we could have one for each of the Mandingo's? - that would Be 'Sacrifice', Mandingo III and 'Savage Rite'. Each worthy of a review, despite the cringeworthy sleeves and titles.

Yeay! :party Whaaaat? There are 3 more Quad Mad Dingo's..?? :p

This Mandingo album probably hold the record of being pressed anywhere there was quad in sight. Other than UK, where it does originate, i've seen Spain, France, Argentina, Brazil, Australia releases, and surely i'm missing at least one or two. Probably used as kind of demo quad disc.

I have both (CD's) The primeval Rhythm of Life and Savage Rite. Both of them decode quite well using SQ. Savage Rite seems to be the best of the two.

Mandingo III you say. I'll have to look into that.

I have both (CD's) The primeval Rhythm of Life and Savage Rite. Both of them decode quite well using SQ. Savage Rite seems to be the best of the two.

Mandingo III you say. I'll have to look into that.

AFAIK Mandingo III got only two releases: Germany SQ, Canada Q8. Never seen another quad for it, happy to be wrong.

Only problem with Mandingo III in Canada is that I suspect it when from the sales racks to the delete bins faster than most disco LP's. I remember seeing them in the Yonge Street Sam the Record Man 3rd floor in quantity before I knew what they were. The 3rd floor was the biggest delete bin short of the old Cheapies chain.

Whilst I despise adding non-poll information here, I think this doesn't necessitate starting a new thread.

I've just discovered these albums and I'll be getting these to enjoy. I'm a huge fan of this stuff and I found this paper trade ad whilst doing some research. I thought I'd share it with you lot. :)

Back