HiRez Poll Vandross, Luther - DANCE WITH MY FATHER [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Luther Vandross - DANCE WITH MY FATHER

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Fidelity, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this title! (y) :phones (n)

This one for me is an odd disc. "When it is good, it is very very good - but when it is bad, it's horrid" is a well known phrase that leaps to mind here.

As an example, there is a cover of "Lovely Day" that features a guest appearance from Buster Rhymes, and perhaps it's just that I "don't get it" but to my ears what sounds like a pointless & out of time rap spoils a superb vocal performance from the Man. This seems to happen almost every time one of the guests joins in - bad rap.
Why is this - is it a kind of fashion I missed out on somewhere?

But to return.
The Man's vocal performances are as silky as ever on his final outing (although I suspect there will be the inevtitable rash of compilations) and the surround arrangement is sympathetic if sometimes a little predictable. Once a placement has been made, it seems to stay there. This approach works very well for the backing vocals, as it fills out the whole soundfield - but there are times when it does get a little dull and almost soporific.

The liner notes imply the whole album was written, recorded, mixed and produced with stereo in mind, as each track has the mix/production & mastering credits for stereo versions and the 5.1 mix is mentioned just the once at the back of the booklet almost as an afterthought.

Luther Vandross has a unique vocal, and it is often imitated.
In reality though it is rarely equalled.

As with many Vandross albums, I love the ballads and skip over most of the "modern" tracks. But I do like both versions of "Lovely Day". He (Vandross) once said that his legacy would be ballads but that he included uptempo songs in the current style to be more marketable .

I think this is a great disc. Very listenable.

Sonically solid and a well balanced surround mix.

The song selection flows. The ballads are well blended with the 'hop' tracks.

The duet with Beyonce is beautiful.

9 from me.

it's an "8" from me.

sounds so lovely! album bit of a mixed bag, surround mix tasteful and suits the music well.

just wish, like the Alica Keys DVDA, it wasn't so scarce! this is another one I had to hunt high and low for.

I felt particularly bad after I discovered I'd snagged the only copy that had come up on amazon UK's marketplace for some time (only a couple of years ago) right under the nose of my dear friend and fellow DVDA collector, Paul. he was very gracious about it but I felt mean as he really loves Vandross. i don't think he has a copy still to this day :(

I agree with the comments above.. My favourite is the The duet with Beyonce.

Back