DVD/DTS Poll Guaraldi, Vince - A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS [DTS 96-24/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Vince Guaraldi - A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
First off, this new disc is not a DTS CD, or an SACD, or a DVD-A, but basically a DVD-Video with music on it. Sure, it has a bit of video, but mostly it's music. As such, it does not play in any of the automotive DVD-A players (Acura/Infiniti/Cadillac).

However, it's pretty cool! :smokin

The DVD has the following tracks:

> 3 Different Dolby Digital Surround Mixes
> 3 Different DTS 96/24 Surroud Mixes
> A Stereo PCM 96kHz track
plus music files for your iPod!!! :mad:@: :eek:

In addition, there is a standard redbook CD in the package!

Also on the disc is a video about creating the disc (Behind the Scenes), The Monster Experience - a bit about the disc itself, Monster Home Theater performance tips, the THX Optimizer, and a few other "goodies".

--------------------------------------

When you pop this into your DVD player, you are presented with a title screen with a graphic, and along the bottom are the 7 choices for playback, as well as an option for the MONSTER FEATURES. You can also get a menu of song titles and move on from there.

To begin with, this is a 3 track recording, so there is not a lot of surround options available to the production team. The 3 variations on the surround mix are as follows:

ON STAGE JAZZ CLUB -
This is the most discrete. The drums are clearly in the rears, with the piano and bass up front. On the song "Christmas Time is Here (Vocal)", the one with the kids singing, the kids are in the rears as well. This is the version that I like the most.

ON STAGE CONCERT HALL -
This track still has a front to back sound, but it's "blended" at bit, not being so discrete. It has a nice sound to it, though.

FRONT ROW PERFORMANCE -
Here you are in the audience, and the performance is in the fronts, with an ambience in the rears. Still nice, but not someting a discrete guy like me prefers.

The nice part about having these three choices is that you can easily switch between these three options, as well as a stereo track, just by using the AUDIO button on your DVD players remote (at least with my DENON 3910 you could). This makes it easy to compare the three surround mixes. It's cool to move the drums around the room with your remote.

Despite the fact that this material is not the best source for a "surround spectacular", this music is near and dear to any kid growing up in the '60s and '70s, as it's the soundtrack to Christmas past. Every kid watched the Charlie Brown specials, brought to you by Coca-Cola and Dolly Madison Cakes! :D

In some ways, it's a shame this is not a REAL DVD-A or SACD, but this is pretty cool as an alternative. With there being so few surround releases coming out these days, here is a welcome alternative to the "HiRez" formats that seem to be fading into obscurity.

These discs are not easy to find. I have never seen one in a store. I ordered mine directly from Monster. Despite what some folks feel about Monster, I think this is a viable alternative to the DTS CD, and hopefully we will see more titles licensed and released from this company.

BTW, these discs are limited issues, and each one is numbered. I am not sure how many of these will be made, but if you're interested, you might want to grab one while you can. They are not that expensive.

So, from my point of view, "GOOD JOB", by Monster. I hope they crank some more titles out! (y)

PS - Sorry Bob for barging into your section, but I had no other place to put this!

Attachments

• charliebrown.jpg
    charliebrown.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 788
Glad to hear it was good. I am thinking about buying the 3 Doors Down DVD which has the same options- An on stage mix and a live concert mix. Looks interesting.

JonUrban said:
BTW, these discs are limited issues, and each one is numbered. I am not sure how many of these will be made, but if you're interested, you might want to grab one while you can. They are not that expensive.

So, from my point of view, "GOOD JOB", by Monster. I hope they crank some more titles out! (y)

Fully agree with all your points. However, in the full set of releases that Monster sent me, one or two had no numbers so it's hard to know what they really mean.

Kal

Nice review, Jon. I bought a couple of these titles (including Charlie Brown Christmas) from the Monster website. I haven't received them yet, but it is nice to see some intriguing surround titles even, if they are not in one of our "favorite" hi-rez formats.

For those interested, I added a scan of the product in the first post above.

Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPFBWG

I was silly enough to think that I might be able to buy this in brick-and-mortar stores, and failed miserably last weekend.

Monster's legal and business practices do creep me out. At least if I order from Amazon, Monster will only make profit on the wholesale and not on the retail.

FYI BestBuy seems to be hiding these in their Home Theater section. I couldn't find the 3 Doors Down disc till we finally went to the HT section. Weird.

I ordered this from Amazon on recommendation from this thread last Friday (16th) got it Wednesday, and have really enjoyed it. This disc is so much better than I expected, great sound and mix.
I've listened mainly to the default mix, DD Concert Stage, and briefly checked out all of the rest just to make sure that would play.

I bought the SACD back in late summer, listened to it in Dolby PL and had a similar experience with the mix, the percussion in the rear really sounds good.

Bob

noticed that the san diego fry's had a stack of these for $9.99 so i picked one up. sounds quite nice at first listen.

I just picked this up as well. I can't really judge this one objectively since I have never heard this in any other audio format, but it is a pleasant listen with various DD and DTS stage and audience mixes. Certainly, it is fun to listen to this and think back to all the times over the years I watched the television show in the weeks before Christmas.

I saw this on sale from Amazon but wasnt familier with the Monster audio deal so I passed and bought a remastered CD from BB.

The disk I bought had 4 extra tracks for a total of 16 tracks.
The cover of mine is slightly differant from this one, but it is close.
B000ICLSMY.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V39732079_.jpg

It included a nice booklet on Vince Guaraldi as well.

Now I am wondering if I should have checked into that Monster disk first....oh well.

Edit* I just found the disk I bought at BB. It was just released 10/10/06 and is offered in a digipack Found HERE

Last edited:
I picked this up in one of the 'bins' a while ago.

I cracked it open tonight. It is great.

The 'Front Row dts' track has more air than a few DVD-A's I have.

It really is a pleasure to listen to.

I saw this for sale today at fry's for 6 bucks! There were tons of them left.
Get em now!

I picked this up in one of the 'bins' a while ago.

I cracked it open tonight. It is great.

The 'Front Row dts' track has more air than a few DVD-A's I have.

It really is a pleasure to listen to.

I enjoyed the front row dts the most as well. I'm glad that I have this disc so much that i purchased Monster's 40th Anniversary Charlie Brown Christmas - Various Artists (SuperDisc), Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company (SuperDisc), 3 Doors Down - Away From The Sun (SuperDisc DVD), and Anjulie (Monster Music Deluxe CD + Audio DVD).

I have a feeling that once these are gone they will be nice collectors' items. The mixes are really nice and enjoyable to listen to. Most of the titles were dirt cheap at amazon.

...score!

I enjoyed the front row dts the most as well. I'm glad that I have this disc so much that i purchased Monster's 40th Anniversary Charlie Brown Christmas - Various Artists (SuperDisc), Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company (SuperDisc), 3 Doors Down - Away From The Sun (SuperDisc DVD), and Anjulie (Monster Music Deluxe CD + Audio DVD).

I have a feeling that once these are gone they will be nice collectors' items. The mixes are really nice and enjoyable to listen to. Most of the titles were dirt cheap at amazon.

...score!

I had never heard of the Anjulie disc, or of Anjulie for that matter.

http://www.amazon.com/Anjulie-Monst...YWX2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304604097&sr=1-3

This is apparently the most recent of the Monster Music releases but I don't know if the program is officially dead now or not.

It's easy to forget that the original vinyl release of this album did okay for its time, but nothing more; sales really took off in the digital age, as the album (and video of the TV special) did better business with a bigger audience. It's always been a gem, but this edition also suggested more that might have (but didn't) come. Nice presentation and packaging, one can only sigh at what more might have been if....

ED:)

This is apparently the most recent of the Monster Music releases but I don't know if the program is officially dead now or not.

I don't know if the Anjulie disc came out after Six String Theory, which came out just before Christmas and is a "must have" disc, IMO. That is recent enough for me to doubt that their program is dead.

Back