HiRez Poll Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - GREATEST HITS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Grandmaster Flash - GREATEST HITS

• 10: Great Mix, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez 5.1 title! (y) :phones (n)

Attachments

• GMFlash1.jpg
    GMFlash1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 390
  • GMFlash2.jpg
    GMFlash2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 371
Does it really exist? I do remember that it had been "announced" many moons ago but never seen it anywhere. I don't even have a clue about the tracklist!

It definitely exists - I got it from Amazon UK for £5.99 (needed to get another £2 worth for a free delivery, saw this & thought "Why not".
I will mail some scans to Jon for posting later today.

Loses marks from me as it sounds like it's been banged through the dreaded TC Unwrap algo - so strike 3 points for that offence.
Apart from that, it's great. Even this might not actually be the case.
"White Lines" sounds faked, but "New York New York" (Not that "New York New York") sounds real with some great discrete sounding synth stabs from Ls/Rs only.
24/96 resolution, and "White Lines" really pumps out. It shows the origins of what has degenerated dramatically since these halcyon days - let's be honest, modern rappers just don't have the elan that these guys do.

To be honest, this is worth getting for 3 reasons.
1 - It's seriously cheap
2 - It is what Rap should be, not this gangsta crap all about shooting people.
3 - Where else will you get these tunes at this quality?

Thanks Neil, gotta go now... order it!

I got mine, from CHINA on ebay! And it's GOOD! I also ebayed the Sugar Hill Gang DVD-A. I'll post that after I get it. Too bad more hip-hip isn't in hi-res and/or 5.1

I just got this from amazon uk. Even with the bad exchange rate it was relatively inexpensive. The surround mixes are pretty good and the songs bring back some memmories of the early 80's. Not the best I've heard, but worth the buy. One music video on the disc for "the message" unfortunately not in surround. Too bad the Spike Lee/Laurence Fishburn music video for "white lines" isn't on the disc. Solid 8 for me.

Hmmm, where to begin...perhaps with...I got this at a reasonable price out of sheer curiosity. I'm glad to have a disc of the best of this original rap group, but boy, I found the quality of the mix to be horrific (typical Silverline) for the most part. Now I should mention that I only heard a few of the tracks whenever they were originally released, so this dvd-audio may be a significant improvement over the original, I can't say because I simply don't know. Anyway, I'll give it a 7 (somewhat kind, in my opinion), mostly because it was reasonably priced and it is fun to listen to and reminisce.

Cheers, GabeL

I strongly recommend NOT to deal with this thief. More than two years ago he took my 60 pounds for three titles and when I did dare to complain 6 months later he replied concerned that he is working sooo hard to get these for me. In meantime, I got all three releases off eBay and cheaper. I have learned my lesson well and will spread the word anytime I come across www.dvd4music.com.

Picked this up for nine bucks in my local store....

After a first listen, its better than I was expecting for a Silverline disc....(y)

Last edited:
Some of the tracks almost sound like they have been put through the "Silverline Surround-o-matic Process", but tracks like Jesse, The Message, Scorpio, New York New York sound great with great 80's synth sounds in the rears.

I can't believe I got this off the shelf at one of my local stores!!!

Yeah, some tracks are not very pleasant processed surround, but others are discrete. The Message is really good, but sadly is the single edit. As a bonus the full length version appears as a video in stereo and with some fantastically poor lip synching!

I strongly recommend NOT to deal with this thief. More than two years ago he took my 60 pounds for three titles and when I did dare to complain 6 months later he replied concerned that he is working sooo hard to get these for me. In meantime, I got all three releases off eBay and cheaper. I have learned my lesson well and will spread the word anytime I come across www.dvd4music.com.

Oh.. not that bastard again! I learned the hard way with him too, he also took my money for things he didn't have.. he never even had the decency to respond let alone refund any of my money.

How he continues to trade is beyond me, he should be shut down.

Back