HiRez Poll Bjork - Vespertine [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Bjork - VESPERTINE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez surround release.

(y) :phones (n)

Seeing some reports that the surround mix is realy 48/24, not 96/24 . I don't expect this matters sonically but I'm wondering what people here are seeing as info when they load this disc.

I've had this one for awhile and finally listened to it last week.

Sound is fine, not great, not bad.

I am a huge Bjork fan but the music on this one did absolutely nothing for me. I doubt this will ever get played a second time.

I give it a 5

Just recently found this and listened to it this week. It sounds wonderful, very open.
The problem for me is that I burned out on the music, having bought the cd when it came out and listend to it for months, even while traveling.
Yes, I'm a fan.

This is a DVD-A of 10!! I really love this cd, I think is the best from Bjork, so I have all the editions: DVD-A is better than the dualdisc (included in the Surrounded Box Set) even when It's a 48/24 bitrate, no extras just the DVD side with DD 5.1 surround mix and the DVD-A side with 5.1 surround sound and 2.0 in high rez (both with 48/24 bitrate), yes, it's not a 96/24 bitrate, but awesome! Clear and warm. But if you want to feel really immerse in the music, listen to every single detail with crystal clarity and feel the intimacy of Bjork's voice as if she was singing in front of you... go and grab the SACD... JUST AMAZING, it's above all editions BELIEVE ME!!! It's an hybrid cd: CD side, SACD SURROUND and STEREO. =)

By the way, I discovered an issue on the dualdisc edition: the dvd side includes the DD 5.1 surround mixing and supposedly the DTS 96/24 mix, but It's not. I own the box set Surrounded and all the discs have a real DTS 96/24 bitrate sampling except for Vespertine wich is only DTS. I wrote to the label, One Little Indian, about this issue but never received an answer. I'd appreciate if somebody can confirm if this issue is only on the european edition (One Little Indian version) or is it too on the american version (Ryko label), maybe one gets to the DTS 96/24 mix with a tricky method because I discovered in the Post disc that if you access to the dvd side and choose the Play All in DTS you'll get the DD mix, so you have to go and choose one song specifically so that the DTS 96/24 mix play ok. By the way, the Menu in these discs are the worst I've ever seen!!

This is on SACD also. I know that for sure because I have it on SACD.

I'm not the world's biggest Bjork fan, but this is a very fine, atmospheric mix that works great in Hi-rez. A '9' here.

ED :)

I've had this one for awhile and finally listened to it last week.

Sound is fine, not great, not bad.

I am a huge Bjork fan but the music on this one did absolutely nothing for me. I doubt this will ever get played a second time.

I give it a 5

Played it again last night, this time in multichannel.
I'd change my score if I could.
Still not my favorite Bjork album but the music clicked with me this time.
The surround presentation is very nice, the rears are used to great effect.
The overall SQ is better than I remember it being.

My new rating would be a 9.

Note: my copy is on SACD, not DVD-A

Being a big fan of hers since her "Debut" CD, I got the Surrounded Box and was pissed off that it did NOT include a Hi Res MCH of this, so I had to wait until recently(before I got fired last week) to get a DVD-A Version of this.

Genius.
Pure and simple.

The mix is ACTI-IVE!! Surround galore and the DVD-A has a clarity that blows away the box set version. The SACD -which I have now sold did not achieve this depth-it was comparable to the "Surrounded" version, still good but not mind blowing...

This disc is one of those that you :smokin and let yourself go!

If you like her, GET THIS on DVD-A!!! This is the version to get.
Music and mix , both a "10"!

Being a big fan of hers since her "Debut" CD, I got the Surrounded Box and was pissed off that it did NOT include a Hi Res MCH of this, so I had to wait until recently(before I got fired last week) to get a DVD-A Version of this.

Genius.
Pure and simple.

The mix is ACTI-IVE!! Surround galore and the DVD-A has a clarity that blows away the box set version. The SACD -which I have now sold did not achieve this depth-it was comparable to the "Surrounded" version, still good but not mind blowing...

This disc is one of those that you :smokin and let yourself go!

If you like her, GET THIS on DVD-A!!! This is the version to get.
Music and mix , both a "10"!

When I listened to her music last time about 10 years back...I hated it so much I wanted to vomit...:(
I wonder what will be my reaction now....did my taste change?

When I listened to her music last time about 10 years back...I hated it so much I wanted to vomit...:(
I wonder what will be my reaction now....did my taste change?

This one has grown on me ..... very slowly ........ like a fungus :fly:

Seriously, it is a great mix... I like it more each time I dig it out.

Well, Bjork...
she's not for the faint of heart...

You either love her or...just don't...and if you wanna get into her stuff, it takes a LONG time.....

it's curious cause I am not a fan of her latest stuff...went over my head...but it sure feels fine (thank you Christine)

Back