Quad LP/Tape Poll Stevens, Cat: Greatest Hits [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate Cat's Greatest Hits

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
One of A&M's CD-4 titles QU-54519, from 1975. Note discussion started HERE

Side 1:

1. Wild World
2. Oh Very Young
3. Can't Keep It In
4. Hard Headed Woman
5. Moonshadow
6. Two Fine People

Side 2:

1. Peace Train
2. Ready
3. Father And Son
4. Sitting
5. Morning Has Broken
6. Another Saturday Night

ED :)

Finally landed myself a Q8 of this album, and my thoughts are mixed! (ha! pun!)

From the sound of it, the three songs dated 1970, don't seem to be from multitrack sources. These songs are: Wild World, Hard Headed Woman and Father & Son. These three songs seem to be stereo front & rear, with the rears delayed slightly and with an EQ bias more towards the high end.

Everything else seems to give the me the feeling that either these songs were recorded live or that's the impression the man at the board was trying to give.
While there is some instrumental definiton ie: piano usually being in the rear, you can still here the piano in front right although at a much lower volume. Same goes for the drums - while they are mostly in the rear, they can also be heard in the front left.

From a mixing standpoint, I'd give this a 7. Decent effort, a very nice "surround" tape.

I've heard a DTS conversion of the CD-4 and it sounded allright, typical CD-4 though with a pretty tame mix. I thought it was the fault of being CD-4 but no, the Q8 has the same mix.

Funny how with such little seperation, it still distorts!

I have this on cd-4 and from what I always thought of this title I think they messed up with the carrier level...
every cd-4 record I own plays fine but this one. On light passages it's ok but when it comes to a loud part of the song here it comes the distortion.
I give it a 5.

Back