Quad LP/Tape Poll Allman Brothers Band: At Fillmore East [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: So-s0

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
2-Lp set from the summer of '71; later available on DTS disc.

Side 1:

1. Statesboro Blues
2. Done Somebody Wrong
3. Stormy Monday

Side 2:

1. You Don't Love Me

Side 3:

1. Hot 'Lanta
2. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed

Side 4:

1. Whipping Post

ED :)

400allmanlive.jpg

Was always disappointed with the quad mix of this. Only have it on Q8. It always just sounded kind of flat compared to other albums on Q8. Good playing though. The stereo is probably just as good as the quad on this one for me.

22954511241_7b39359c99_z.jpg

I'm surprised there aren't more posts about this classic album. I have the 2xLP CD-4 pressing and really love this quad mix. I think side one is a little flat, but even in stereo that's my least favorite of the four sides. Starting with You Don't Love Me on side two both this album and the quad mix absolutely cook. I think spreading Duane and Dickey's guitars between the left rear and front right channels, respectively, was a great mixing choice. It's so fun to hear the interaction as the guitar lines dance around each other. Bass is centered and FAT. This is just one of those enveloping surround mixes that allows me to completely lose myself in the music.

I've been listening to this quad reel over the past few days and it's a great album that I have ignored over the past few decades, probably due to burn out, like most classic albums from my youth. Still, this one holds up well.

The quad mix doesn't hit you over the head, but it's got a real nice surround field, and though I don't hear much discrete 'only-in-one-speaker' stuff, I didn't expect that from a live recording.

I have not heard the newer mix from the BluRay, but to me this mix is fine the way it is. I give it an '8'. And I agree with clg1977 above. Only three posts (now 4) for this classic album and classic quadraphonic release?

Does anyone have the story of how the quad mix got the extended version of "Stormy Monday" with the harmonica solo. It's strange that it was edited out of the stereo and subsequent DTS 'quad' mix, but is there in the original quad.

And why wasn't it in the DTS mix? Wasn't that created from the quad mix? Very strange. Tad?

The quad mix doesn't hit you over the head, but it's got a real nice surround field, and though I don't hear much discrete 'only-in-one-speaker' stuff, I didn't expect that from a live recording.

And why wasn't it in the DTS mix? Wasn't that created from the quad mix?

I had read elsewhere on the forum that the DTS-CD uses the same '70s quad mix as the CD-4/Q8/QR, but that's definitely not the case. The DTS-CD is very much a "hit-you-over-the-head" discrete surround mix, with the guitars isolated in the back corners and drums upfront. Perhaps there were multiple attempts at a quad mix of Fillmore in the '70s, and the DTS-CD used an alternate rejected version?

By my count, there are FOUR unique multichannel mixes of At The Fillmore:
  1. CD-4/Q8/QR
  2. DTS-CD
  3. SACD (5.1 mix by Jeff Glixman)
  4. Blu-Ray (5.1 mix by Kevin Reeves)

Back