8-D Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tornado Red

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Anyone have any experience listening to this? My daughter directed me an 8D Hans Zimmer song on YouTube and once there I found a bunch of stuff. The concept seems to be sound coming from 8 different locations, best listened to on headphones. I have decent headphones, and to be honest I'm not getting any type of front to rear, circular or orb type sound, just seems to be side to side. Interesting at first, then it seems to give me a 'sea sick' experience with the music sloshing back and forth. Anyway, strange experience.

Anyone have any experience listening to this? My daughter directed me an 8D Hans Zimmer song on YouTube and once there I found a bunch of stuff. The concept seems to be sound coming from 8 different locations, best listened to on headphones. I have decent headphones, and to be honest I'm not getting any type of front to rear, circular or orb type sound, just seems to be side to side. Interesting at first, then it seems to give me a 'sea sick' experience with the music sloshing back and forth. Anyway, strange experience.

Just through my computer speakers it sounds like a form of Q Sound! Catchy tune, though.

In the early 1960s, there was a series of albums under the banner "Stereo Action." On these albums, instruments were panned left to right and back again for no apparent reason. 8D audio sounds just like this to me, even with headphones.

8D sound is a gimmick and I wish all my peers would stop using it and get a real surround system. It's just sad, panning the song from one end to the other.

Start thinking about those videos demonstrating 4D or more with 3D visualizations with the images appearing and disappearing. What's someone going to do with 2 or 3D audio images with this concept?

The concept seems to be sound coming from 8 different locations
Oh, so just 2 or 3D then and a misnomer?

best listened to on headphones.
And... we're back down to stereo plane right out of the gate.

Maybe they thought they were getting "4D" from their Covid vaccination? :D

Oh, it's just someone crudely playing with the balance control amusing themself in stereo headphones! They just apparently didn't know that "2D", "3D", etc are already defined terms.

Yeah, I have this new color visualization scheme that lets you see colors beyond this dimension. Works best on a black and white monitor.

And here I was thinking someone was going to do something interesting along these lines with audio.

Disappointed!

And here I was thinking someone was going to do something interesting along these lines with audio.

Disappointed!

4D? Pah! That's not even trying - In String Theory, spacetime is 26-dimensional, while in Superstring Theory it is 10-dimensional, and in it's M-theory derivitive it is 11.

In the early 1960s, there was a series of albums under the banner "Stereo Action." On these albums, instruments were panned left to right and back again for no apparent reason. 8D audio sounds just like this to me, even with headphones.

I have two of those albums, but only because I like the artist (Dick Schory). It appears to be a motor driven set of three panpots.

You are not going to get front-to-back in the usual sense with headphones. Dead front sounds in stereo, or in SQ or QS matrix quad sounds like it comes from the top of your head in headphones. Here is my dichophony diagram for where sounds from various matrix systems seem to come from when played in stereo through headphones:

dicohead.png

Oh, it's just someone crudely playing with the balance control amusing themself in stereo headphones! They just apparently didn't know that "2D", "3D", etc are already defined terms.

Yeah, I have this new color visualization scheme that lets you see colors beyond this dimension. Works best on a black and white monitor.

I have seen that too. It is a system that sends flashing monochrome signals that fool the color vision decoding nerves in your eyes. You see flashing colors on a black and white TV.

It works on the principle of Benham's disc.

Back