Quad LP/Tape Poll Conniff, Ray: Alone Again(Naturally) [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Alone Again(Naturally)"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia CQ 31629, from 1972.

Side 1:

1. Alone Again(Naturally)
2. Song Sung Blue
3. Where Is The Love
4. The Happiest Girl In The Whole U.S.A.
5. The Candy Man
6. Because

Side 2:

1. Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast
2. Day By Day
3. Run To Me
4. Too Young
5. Brandy

ED :sun

Unlike his peers, Conniff was a little more adventurous with his Quad recordings; not much, but a little. Like with the Percy Faith I commented on elsewhere, this is easy listening (elevator) music. The difference is that Conniff's "orchestra" is primarily made up a small group of singers; usually about a dozen (give or take). In all, he did about 8 albums I can think of in Quad. This was one of his better efforts.

For fans of the Vocal Group Pop of the genre (The Ray Charles Singers was another popular group of the 50's/60's), this is an excellent album. The song selection is pretty good and reflects the hits of the times.

Mix wise, the Q8 offers a pretty solid one with half of the vocals in the front (mostly the male singers) and the other half in the rear (mostly the female singers). The keyboards, the woodwinds and the drums are set to the rears whilst the strings, the piano, the bass and the guitars are set to the fronts. The only thing that keeps the mix from being excellent is the fact that the reverb trail from the front vocals is sent to the rear and the reverb trail from the rear vocals is sent to the front. This means that you end up with a Hell of a lot of reverb where it would have worked better had the vocals had been a little dryer. Fidelity of the tape I have is of the typical Q8 kind, but still pretty decent.

The track listing for the Q8 is a such:

A1 Alone Again (Naturally)
A2 Where Is The Love
A3 Run To Me
A4 Too Young
A5 Brandy
B1 Song Sung Blue
B2 The Happiest Girl In The Whole U.S.A.
B3 The Candy Man
B4 Because
B5 Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast
B6 Day By Day

According to Discogs, the credits for the Quad Mix are:

Engineer [Quadraphonic Remix Engineer] – Rafael O. Valentin
Supervised By [Quadraphonic Sound Supervision] – Phil Macy

I still enjoy the end result, but do think twice about this fact if two much reverb annoys you. Luckily, the instruments were not treated this way.

A gave this one a strong 7.

R-8137586-1504870914-7139.jpeg.jpg

R-8137586-1504870921-7625.jpeg.jpg

Back