A word about the King Crimson DVD-A's that are about to come out

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I don't ask the membership here for much, heck, I don't expect anything at all, nor do I want anything.

But now there is something I'd like to ask:

Would you all please support the upcoming releases of the King Crimson catalog by BUYING the discs if you are interested in them. I know some moron(s) will have rips of them posted somewhere "on the net" as soon as the retail copies hit the street. It makes me sick to think about this, as there are so few surround releases these days, every one should be supported by the few fans that actually care. US!

These releases are not priced outragously, and they have been produced with great quality and care. The way I figure it, should these sell well then someone has to notice, which might get the Rush 5.1 titles released, and who knows after that.

If, however, the core market for surround music simply downloads the stuff from file sharing networks and does not buy the actual discs, it does NOTHING to support surround and will only help to finally kill it from the marketplace.

I'm not asking for folks to buy these discs if they're not interested in the music, I'm asking that folks who like the music and want them to actually buy them as opposed to stealing them.

There are many fine, out of print classic quadraphonic conversions out there to download. Please don't download actual, in-print stuff. It doesn't help the cause at all.

Thanks for letting me preach. We now return you back to the regular tranquility here at QQ.

Jon is absolutely right. Let's not bite the hand that feeds us. These titles are very reasonably priced. Now ... bring on the Rush disks.

I'm buying Court and can't wait for Discipline. Those are the 2 I am interested in, for now.

I was never a downloader, but this year, a 10% pay cut, 20% benefits cut, no overtime and no bonuses had kinda changed things, at least as far as 2 channel goes. Guilty as charged. :(

Whole hearted agreement! If there is a retail surround product (OMG especially these jewels!) purchasing is the right thing to do.

I still buy CDs and iTunes, downloads are strictly upmixes and conversions...

Absolutely no discussion - I'm purchasing *ALL* KC 5.1 remasters (and probably not only this year:), just had to decide if I go with Amazon UK or Burning Shed. And even when Amazon have finally decreased price on one of the discs recently, I've decided to turn to BS directly.
I'd love to spend my 5.1 money anywhere they produce multichannel sounds (and I do, be it releases from the PT/SW camp or Nick Cave reissues, e.g.), but vast majority of it ends up with various eBay sellers and the like. The only MC area I am still reluctant to support is the deluxe box sets thing... but that might change with Minotaur, possibly:)

Last edited:
I've never been too much into KC (as King Crimson, much more into KC&Sb!) so other than "Court" i don't think to get anything else... ITCOTCK for sure.
Wake, Lizard, Red, Three... never got a hook on them, neither back in the days (my older brother had them) nor today, despite being a good rock-prog follower (elp genesis yes gentle giant, and for italy banco pfm orme and so on...).

I agree 100%! That goes for anything still in print or forthcoming.
I can't wait for the KC stuff.
(The Rush stuff would be real damn nice to see too!)

-B

I'll be getting ITCOTCK and maybe another. I'm not much of a KC fan but I have found that listening in surround I enjoy music I didn't like before, e.g. Genesis. Currently I don't download any music but if I ever get a DVD burner I'll be interested in burning some old quadraphonic disc from back in the 70's. I'll have to research this forum to learn about burning DVDA from OOP disc downloads. The only time I listen to stereo is in my car and for those I have compilation disc of music that I bought. As far as I am concerned if it's not in surround I'm not buying it which means I haven't bought a lot of music lately. Looking forward to ITCOTCK.

If you are a bass player, you have to hear Providence from Red. I have it on order, even though the stereo HDCD version is excellent. Crimson King is a classic, but I am glad that Red is the first one out of the gate ... two days from now, if you believe Burning Shed.

I'm with you Jon!

In these lean economic times to actually get the opportunity to purchase newly remixed (by Steven Wilson no less) and remastered classic rock albums in advanced resolution stereo and surround is a wonder in and of itself. I don't know about the rest of you but with the shortage of new popular 5.1 releases (in any format) I have actually spent less this year on new music than in any of the past ten. Therefore these releases are a no-brainer in my book. I have the first three ordered from Burning Shed and highly anticipate their arrival here in the states soon. Kudos' to Steven, Neil and all that had a hand in getting this project to market!

We really do collectively need to utilize our small yet still note worthy music buying influence to send a message and support artists, recording companies and producers that still have the courage to put out a quality DVD-A series such as this.

Just the idea of a Rush DVD-A set gives me goose bumps! :D

Dennis

I have never, ever downloaded music, nor do I intend to.

(Probably couldn't figure out how to do it even if I wanted to ;))

If I buy any King Crimson DVD-A's it will be legitimate discs, as it would with any other artist.

I'm waiting for comments on sound quality before buying (and having been canned this week I should probably wait until I have a job to pay for them).

I've got all three pre-ordered, 2 of them will be totally new to me. Obviously times are tough, but generally if you can afford a surround system and a high speed internet connection then the cost of buying basically all of the new DVD-A releases is small. I remember when I used to go to Circuit City and there were so many titles to choose from that I had to prioritize... oh so long ago.

I have never, ever downloaded music, nor do I intend to.

(Probably couldn't figure out how to do it even if I wanted to ;))

If I buy any King Crimson DVD-A's it will be legitimate discs, as it would with any other artist.

I'm waiting for comments on sound quality before buying (and having been canned this week I should probably wait until I have a job to pay for them).
Good luck with finding a new job, hopefully you have one soon.

Good luck with finding a new job, hopefully you have one soon.

Thanks Robert :brew

It really is a blessing in disguise.
I was never really happy in my time there and had already reached the conclusion it was time to leave. At least this way I leave with a healthy severance package :)

I'll need a job soon to feed my music addiction;)

Will probably buy at least one of these CK releases right away...job or no job.

I'm also with Jon.I enjoy having not only the music,but the liner notes and case that make up a nice spot in my cabinet. I never did really appreciate, I mean really appreciate anything unless I worked, and earned the things I do posses. Besides the people who work to produce the music deserve what they earn, and due to that effort are entitled to the pay from thier work as far as I am concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back