Abbey Road Disc Problem

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it’s the Laserdisc story all over again! :eek:

I had this happen to a collectible disc golf disc. I have it hanging on the wall out of the sun and over a twenty year span it began deteriorating. The other discs next to it are perfectly fine but this one is like the the bonding materials have begun to eat the rest of the plastic. When it was new you would have never known their was a problem.

I had this happen to a collectible disc golf disc. I have it hanging on the wall out of the sun and over a twenty year span it began deteriorating. The other discs next to it are perfectly fine but this one is like the the bonding materials have begun to eat the rest of the plastic. When it was new you would have never known their was a problem.
So kept in a cool darker place it might well have lasted just fine? This is a Laser Disc you are speaking of?

So kept in a cool darker place it might well have lasted just fine? This is a Laser Disc you are speaking of?

No it is a disc golf disc. They are made of two pieces of plastic bonded together like music discs. My guess is even if it was stored in a dark cooler place it still would have had problems and that it was poorly manufactured and the bonding chemicals were out of spec.

I have tons of laser discs but haven't had a working player in over two decades so I don't know if they work or not. I have a handful of standard store bought CDs that have rotted.

Wondering also, if combined with the bonding of layers for Blu-ray, could be the increased speed needed for the data required increase "debonding"?
-Blu-ray movie discs have a faster linear velocity because the specification calls for the discs to spin at 1.5X, which translates to about 7.5 meters per second--more than twice as fast as a DVD.

At some point we will all have to learn how to back up our discs. I understand some discs go out of print by the time problems manifest themselves. But the companies should at least offer a digital download to us or have BDRs made.

Back