Abbey Road Disc Problem

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Working great. Something is wrong with my disc. Doesn't matter now that it is ripped. A great tool that keeps getting better!
Might pay to have the Japanese version; the European pressings with problems appear to be adding up. Glad I was able to rip mine, but still is bothersome knowing your disc might fail at any time. From what I understand the DSOTM Immersion disc was a European made problem only; which I had one replaced about a year ago. But I thought I read here recently that they had stopped the replacement program (not sure.) Let's hope it's not a disc-rot situation, rather a small run of pressing errors.

Thanks for starting this thread. Once again, it's QQ and its awesome members who save me time and potential return hassle.

I'll sit tight for a few months before I make the purchase. Hopefully, the manufacturer will have sorted it all out by then. Might get a bargain like I got on the Chicago Quadio set too!

Might pay to have the Japanese version; the European pressings with problems appear to be adding up. Glad I was able to rip mine, but still is bothersome knowing your disc might fail at any time. From what I understand the DSOTM Immersion disc was a European made problem only; which I had one replaced about a year ago. But I thought I read here recently that they had stopped the replacement program (not sure.) Let's hope it's not a disc-rot situation, rather a small run of pressing errors.

Now that I have rips of both Abbey Road and Big Pink I am not going to worry about it. I have image files of both and although not perfect because of slight ripping problems with Audiomuxer, other tools are able to rip fine and the image plays fine. Yes the actual disc is problematic but I don't actually put discs in my player any longer. I rip everything and play back from PC, Oppo, or Firestick. Your advice makes perfect sense for members that will always play back discs in their players.

For defective BR disc replacement send an email to Janice at Universal and she will replace it with a tested disc. [email protected]
Thank you so much for this. My disc quit playing - it wouldn't load - so I emailed Janice yesterday and got a reply today. They are sending me a new disc by courier.

Thank you so much for this. My disc quit playing - it wouldn't load - so I emailed Janice yesterday and got a reply today. They are sending me a new disc by courier.
That’s an important distinction, if your disc was working, and later stopped working! Compared to some discs that never worked from the start.

Last edited:
Im worried about the propensity of these discs to go bad in the future like my Bryan Adams Reckless bluray.
I have the European edition of the AR bluray which seems to have the problems.

Although my copy plays now maybe it would be prudent to exchange it?

Im worried about the propensity of these discs to go bad in the future like my Bryan Adams Reckless bluray.

If I was you I'd be checking the disc every day to see if it loads properly. Like I said, mine played fine the first few times before I started having an issue.

That is the title I emailed them about. I am pissed that it has doubled in price from amazon.ca (my original purchase site) or I would have replaced it without an issue. I will post my findings, if any in the appropriate BA thread.

I ripped the stereo, the DTS HD 5.1 and the Dolby TrueHD 7.1. But is the Atmos info embedded in the ripped Dolby TrueHD 7.1? I've heard that it is not and the Atmos can only be accessed by playing the disc. True? [FALSE according to HomerJAU post #62] If so, then what happens if someone gets an Atmos system down the road and the disc stops playing? That will be a mess especially if the problem is systemic long-term rot.

Last edited:

The problem arises: are the EU replacement discs from the same disc manufacturer? Which is why I surmised it might be prudent to invest in the Japanese AR box set even though it's somewhat of a budget breaker .... and redundant!

The problem arises: are the EU replacement discs from the same disc manufacturer? Which is why I surmised it might be prudent to invest in the Japanese AR box set even though it's somewhat of a budget breaker .... and redundant!
Ralph, do you know if the Japanese discs have SHM, that may make a difference for the long run?

Yeah, but what about the BDs, same treatment?

NEVER HEARD of a SHM~BD~A, JP, but it's a Japanese pressing and from my experience, I love Japanese BD~As as they've always sounded better than their US counterparts [BD~A and SACD].

See the source image

OBI LA DI .... OBI LA DA

Last edited:
The copy I just got is the EU pressing IFPI 9752 by Optimal Media. It loads and plays fine. It was a resale so I don't know what I could do about it with the manufacturer if it pups out at some point.

NEVER HEARD of a SHM~BD~A, JP, but it's a Japanese pressing and from my experience, I love Japanese BD~As as they've always sounded better than their US counterparts [BD~A and SACD].

See the source image

OBI LA DI .... OBI LA DA
I guess, SHM is "supposed" to be more about the clarity of the coating used; but just did a search on-line and didn't really find much about other formats other than CDs & SACDs. Just wondering if it also may help with the disc rot issue; maybe lesser plastics start to get hazy and blocks the light transmission of the lasers. And could it be applied to the Blu-ray discs; just sort of thinking out loud. Probably could use its own thread to discuss it further.

Back