Adventures In Second Guessing The Mastering Engineer Vol 3 - The Isley Brothers '3+3'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Disclaimer: I ripped this SACD using a modified ps3 and then converted the DSD files to 88.kHz/24 bit PCM using Foobar2000's SACD decoder. It's possible (or at least arguable) that this has some effect on quality, so please take these observations with a small grain of salt.

The recent discussion on the Isley Brothers 3+3 review thread caused me to pull this one out and revisit it. The rear channels on this disc are most definitely swapped. For example, on the first track 'Who's That Lady', the lead guitar comes out of the front left and rear right speakers, which is incorrect - it should be from the front left and rear left, which switching the rear speakers corrects. A diagonally panned instrument would give a SQ encoder an epileptic fit, there's no way they'd do that.

The fact that the rears were swapped caused me to wonder if there were other mastering errors with the album, ie it was a rush job and they didn't bother to do any quality control, or if they legitimately thought it should sound like that. After looking at all the tracks, I can't say I'm any more sure of the answer than when I started. Every single track has left/right channel imbalances in both the front and rear pairs, and the imbalances vary from track to track. Now I'm not sure if they were trying to alter the instrument balance a little bit to make it more pleasing (to their ears) for 5.1, or if they tried to do the balance by ear without the benefit of any kind of scope, or what.

Note that I deleted the derived centre channel because it destroys the stereo image in the front, but I kept the LFE track because I wasn't sure if what was in the LFE track was shaved off the other 4 channels and I didn't want to lose any bass response.

Let's look at the first track, 'Who's That Lady':

isley_track1.jpg

What becomes obvious from first look (aside from the fact that the dynamic range is obviously compressed by the shape of the waveforms) is that there's way more energy in the front speakers than the rears, which is (in my opinion) wrong. Quad mixes, especially the Columbia/CBS ones, almost always had equal power from all 4 speakers. It appears that by adding a derived center channel and reducing the power of the rears that they were trying to make the mix sound more like a modern 5.1 mix.

The next thing I noticed is the problems with the left/right balance. Here's a look at the front left (green) and front right (yellow) channels of the second track, 'Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight':

track2_span.jpg

I think you can quite clearly see that the right channel is uniformly lower than the left one, and this happens to differing degrees on the front and back pairs on most of the tracks. When you fix these imbalances, you really notice it in the vocals, which have a pinpoint center focus and much more pleasing phantom image. Getting the front/rear balances was a little more difficult, but I used a combination of looking at waveforms using the SPAN spectral analyser plugin, and also listening to isolated front and rear pairs (FL & RL / FR & RR) on headphones until I was satisified the balance was correct. The front/rear balance may not be 100% scientifically accurate, but I don't think I'm more than half a dB out on any given track.

Also, it's worth mentioning that track 6 ('What It Comes Down To') is missing the audio in the rear channels for the first 15 seconds of the song, as you can see in the bottom two waveforms in this picture:

isley_track6.jpg

These are my reccomendations for channel level alterations - this is after you've swapped the rear channels so the channel assignments are correct:

TRACK|FL|FR|SL|SR
1|0dB|-1dB|+3dB|+1dB
2|0dB|+1dB|+3dB|+2.5dB
3|0dB|+0.5dB|+3dB|+3dB
4|0dB|+1dB|+2dB|+2dB
5|0dB|+1dB|+2dB|+2dB
6|0dB|-0.25dB|-1dB|-1dB
7|0dB|+1.25dB|+2dB|+2dB
8|0dB|+1.5dB|0dB|0dB
9|0dB|+2.75dB|+2dB|+2dB

The mix is mastered really hot so you should turn down your final output by 3-4dB to avoid any clipping.

Spectral analysis reveals some interesting (if disappointing) results:

isley_spectral.jpg

Frequency response drops of abruptly at 22k, which means it's very possible this was sourced from a 44.1kHz master. This would jibe with what Tad said about Sony archiving and delivering their masters on ADAT in the 90's when HDS was releasing DTS CD's. You can also see how the dynamic range compression applied to the audio has totally flattened out the frequency response, and this is borne out by the dynamic range totals as reported by the DR plugin for foobar2000:

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR11 -2.01 dB -15.29 dB 5:30 ?-track1
DR12 -1.00 dB -16.41 dB 4:19 ?-track2
DR12 -1.06 dB -16.21 dB 3:19 ?-track3
DR12 -0.98 dB -16.42 dB 3:05 ?-track4
DR11 -1.05 dB -14.65 dB 4:05 ?-track5
DR11 -0.75 dB -14.56 dB 4:01 ?-track6
DR12 -1.77 dB -16.57 dB 4:27 ?-track7
DR11 -0.52 dB -15.20 dB 6:10 ?-track8
DR13 -0.96 dB -18.48 dB 4:15 ?-track9
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks: 9
Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 88200 Hz
Channels: 5
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 5514 kbps
Codec: FLAC
========================

Hope you've enjoyed the latest instalment in this series. Don't forget to tip your waitress!

Absolutely fantastic (and fascinating!) analysis of one of my favourite surround discs of all-time! Thank you!

I have a theory as to why Sony did what they did with the channel level futzing.. since reading all this, I've been playing around with speaker placement.. and temporarily re-arranging my speakers into the ITU standard (I don't and can't use this configuration day to day due to room layout limitations) but with the rears as close to the listening position as ITU outlines the alarming disparity in front and rear channel levels makes much more sense.. the mix works a lot better "as is" if your rears are just to the side or just behind your sweet spot.

however, with all 4 speakers equidistant (which is pretty much how I have it setup permanently, though my rears are actually a tiny bit further from listening position, which I prefer, my rears are whacked up a few dB's to compensate)... So I think that may explain why I've never had any problem with this SACD!?

so, to any guys who rated this in the QQ Poll and were underwhelmed I'd say follow Dave's advice, make the rear channel level adjustments, which are mostly in the same ballpark 2-3dB for each song, just an exception with Summer Breeze which is about right "as is" (and using no distance parameters on your pre-amp) with centre shut off, rear L&R swapped and all 4 speakers equidistant from your sweet spot in the typical Quad arrangement and I think (hope!) you'll find this is the killer mix I've been raving about for years :)

bit of a shame about bout the lack of Hi-Rez content.. but rejigged into the right channels and channel levels it still knocks any other shiny disc version for six!

maybe Sony will reissue it on Blu-ray now they've shown their hand with Pure Audio BD.. and get it right this time!

Thank you Dave for taking the time and trouble! You DA MAN! (y)

are there any more mixes on your Second Guessing hit list? FWIW, I reckon there are a few Sony SACDs that were cocked up in all sorts of ways! (Meat Loaf, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Thrills, Boulez Conducts Bartok, Oasis, Gloria Estefan.. all have something up with them which seems to go beyond mere mixing decisions imho..).

I reckon there are a few Sony SACDs that were cocked up in all sorts of ways! (Meat Loaf, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Thrills, Boulez Conducts Bartok, Oasis, Gloria Estefan.. all have something up with them which seems to go beyond mere mixing decisions imho..).

I second Fredblue's Stuffed Sony SACD list....

It'd be interesting if they can be salvaged....

I think the Meatloaf is probably un-salvageable and probably should just be thrown out... :yikes:D

Thanks for the 3+3.. I'd created a conversion with the channels swapped... but this goes a lot further....!!

maybe Sony will reissue it on Blu-ray now they've shown their hand with Pure Audio BD.. and get it right this time!

Or they may simply re-release it from the Original Quad Mix, the Original Stereo Mix or this Surround Mix. Or not. Many possibilities.... :)

Wasn't the remix producer on these, Al Q. from Columbia/Sony Music, on this forum awhile back? Might be worth a search to see if he had some comments on this project bringing the '70s 4 Channel Mixes to Surround SACDs.

Thanks for this. I confess to be too lazy to try all your suggested level tweaks (and I never really had an issue with the balance) but I did find a much better defined soundstage once the rear channels were swapped.

Back