AIX Records - DVD-Audio - lack of discussion here?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guy Robinson said:
Oh and "Calamari" is my favourite disc of the ones that I have heard so far which as you can tell is a considerable number.

I knew I should have ordered that disc when I ordered "Vantage Point"! Then I would have received the High-Resolution Audio Experience sampler disc for free!

I also agree that any of the releases with Laurence Juber or David Garfield are probably great. I have and enjoy listening to The Latin Jazz Trio & The Retro Jazz Quintet (both with Garfield) and Guitar Noir (Juber).

filmosound said:
I knew I should have ordered that disc when I ordered "Vantage Point"! Then I would have received the High-Resolution Audio Experience sampler disc for free!

I also agree that any of the releases with Laurence Juber or David Garfield are probably great. I have and enjoy listening to The Latin Jazz Trio & The Retro Jazz Quintet (both with Garfield) and Guitar Noir (Juber).

p.s. I'm glad there's been so much discussion since my original post!

The stuff AIX puts out are excellent. I have a question since someone brought up HD video. Are there any plans in the works to put out any music on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray? I assume with the capacity on the discs and the audio capabilities you could put the same quality of audio mixes on these formats? I'm curious to see where the Hi-Rez music is going in regards to the next generation players.

Hi there!

Right now I'm listening to "Acoustic Blues" by Dorian Michael, which I found in the mail this morning.
This is my second AIX disc after Laurence Juber's "Guitar Noir", and they both sound really great! I love them!

And a special thanks to Mark! I think it's great that you are a member of this forum! That way we get all the hot AIX news first hand and you keep in touch with what us "common folk" would like to see and hear in new releases :D
It shows me that you care! And in this day and age, I'm afraid, that's something you don't find too often anymore :(

Being from Germany, I ordered the discs through Amazon Marketplace, because I was a bit concerned about shipping cost and customs. But it seems that not all your titles (especially the classic music) are available through online vendors in Germany, so I guess I'll drop your customer support a line and ask about it (plus I would get them nifty samplers :D )

About the download store: obviously, for me it would make things easier in purchasing your music. However, I'm kind of an old-fashioned guy in that respect, and I always love to have the "real" disc with the boolet and everything, plus: the discs one can burn yourself with a regular DVD writer are not as durable as those produced industrially...

Best regards,
Oliver

Yes, and that's why sould be cheaper. I would like the "real" thing, but since I cannot really afford it, I would take a DL version if is really worth the difference.

El Guapo said:
Hi there!

Right now I'm listening to "Acoustic Blues" by Dorian Michael, which I found in the mail this morning.
This is my second AIX disc after Laurence Juber's "Guitar Noir", and they both sound really great! I love them!Oliver

This is how my crazy frenzy of buying started. Each successive disc was as good or better than the last. Then I started buying 6 at a time.

Man, I'm not the biggest country music fan, but Brand New Opry Vol. 1 has worked its way into my heart. I don't love it as much as Nitty Gritty (those female voices provided a beautiful balance and blend to the overall sound), but there are some riveting songs and performances here. "Fool Around," "Grand Design," and "Lowlands," are personal faves.

I was so impressed by the Hanna-McEuen duo, that I'm going to pick up their debut CD as well.

Felix E. Martinez said:
Man, I'm not the biggest country music fan, but Brand New Opry Vol. 1 has worked its way into my heart. I don't love it as much as Nitty Gritty (those female voices provided a beautiful balance and blend to the overall sound), but there are some riveting songs and performances here. "Fool Around," "Grand Design," and "Lowlands," are personal faves.

I was so impressed by the Hanna-McEuen duo, that I'm going to pick up their debut CD as well.

If you like those you will also no doubt like the Jonathan McEuen
DVD.

Nitty Gritty Surround is my "go-to" disc when I want to show off the current state of the art in acoustic music recording to all my musician friends. They simply cannot believe how true this recording sounds, even on the video side. I agree that I certainly like to watch the performance so I tend to play that side more often, it's still a terrific display of recording expertise. Recording all those instruments and vocals (each in stereo) live in that theatre was a stroke of genius.

I also really appreciate the different mixes available. My $0.02 is this - I think using rear channels to enhance ambience and space and nothing else is kind of a waste. I am a lifelong musician and few recordings stir my blood like those that fully utilize all the channels to place me in the middle of the musicmakers. I understand that some find that kind of mix "gimmicky" but I love them. Whether it's the NGDB, Third Matinee or Faure's Requiem if you put the performers all around me it increases my enjoyment of the mix many times over and I will pay a premium for recordings like these. I feel a little cheated when I get "ambience-only" rear channels on a disc. Just one man's opinion...

Back