HiRez Poll Alan Parsons Project, The - EYE IN THE SKY [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of THE ALAN PARSONS PROJECT - EYE IN THE SKY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I think the choice of center speaker has a lot to do with the center channel experience. I think for music the center speaker should be identical to the front left and front right.

So true, but as I said in another thread, unless you have Harry Potter's Cloak Of Invisibility, you might have problems seeing your TV if your center speaker identical to the fronts.

It isn't how many channels it is how good the mix is. The best matching center channel speaker isn't going to make up for a bad mix. I will take a quality quad mix over an average 5.1 mix any day.

I think the point was that Eye in the Sky was mixed more like quad with center fill. A different approach compared to the way SW mixes his 5.1 releases. Listening to this proves that both ways can be very effective. The matching center channel comments seem off topic in this context.

It isn't how many channels it is how good the mix is. The best matching center channel speaker isn't going to make up for a bad mix. I will take a quality quad mix over an average 5.1 mix any day.

I think the point was that Eye in the Sky was mixed more like quad with center fill. A different approach compared to the way SW mixes his 5.1 releases. Listening to this proves that both ways can be very effective. The matching center channel comments seem off topic in this context.

I agree regarding execution of the mix. When I first set up my 5.1 music system I tried using a 18" x 12" x 7" deep Boston A60 as the center speaker between AR9's standing at 53" H x 15" W x 16" D. The A60 fit very nicely on the shelf below the TV and had the best appearance (as so noted by my wife.) But trying to get away with this arrangement was a bit absurd as the the poor thing was overwhelmed by the two AR behemoths; and the height of the A60 tweeter was way too low compared to the AR9's. I finally settled on a three-way AR91 which is 31.5" x 14" x 11.5" deep which also has the same drivers as the fronts. As one would expect, it by far has given me the best results.

72. Best Immersive Audio Album Grammy Nomination 2019
For vocal or instrumental albums in any genre. Must be commercially released on DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, SACD, Blu-Ray, or burned download-only/streaming-only copies and must provide a new surround mix of four or more channels. Award to the surround mix engineer, surround producer (if any) and surround mastering engineer (if any).

• EYE IN THE SKY - 35TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
    Alan Parsons, surround mix engineer; Dave Donnelly, PJ Olsson & Alan Parsons, surround mastering engineers; Alan Parsons, surround producer (The Alan Parsons Project)
  • FOLKETONER
    Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Anne Karin Sundal-Ask & Det Norske Jentekor)
  • SEVEN WORDS FROM THE CROSS
    Daniel Shores, surround mix engineer; Daniel Shores, surround mastering engineer; Dan Merceruio, surround producer (Matthew Guard & Skylark)
  • SOMMERRO: UJAMAA & THE ICEBERG
    Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Ingar Heine Bergby, Trondheim Symphony Orchestra & Choir)
  • SYMBOL
    Prashant Mistry & Ronald Prent, surround mix engineers; Darcy Proper, surround mastering engineer; Prashant Mistry & Ronald Prent, surround producers (Engine-Earz Experiment)

72. Best Immersive Audio Album Grammy Nomination 2019
For vocal or instrumental albums in any genre. Must be commercially released on DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, SACD, Blu-Ray, or burned download-only/streaming-only copies and must provide a new surround mix of four or more channels. Award to the surround mix engineer, surround producer (if any) and surround mastering engineer (if any).

• EYE IN THE SKY - 35TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
    Alan Parsons, surround mix engineer; Dave Donnelly, PJ Olsson & Alan Parsons, surround mastering engineers; Alan Parsons, surround producer (The Alan Parsons Project)
  • FOLKETONER
    Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Anne Karin Sundal-Ask & Det Norske Jentekor)
  • SEVEN WORDS FROM THE CROSS
    Daniel Shores, surround mix engineer; Daniel Shores, surround mastering engineer; Dan Merceruio, surround producer (Matthew Guard & Skylark)
  • SOMMERRO: UJAMAA & THE ICEBERG
    Morten Lindberg, surround mix engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, surround producer (Ingar Heine Bergby, Trondheim Symphony Orchestra & Choir)
  • SYMBOL
    Prashant Mistry & Ronald Prent, surround mix engineers; Darcy Proper, surround mastering engineer; Prashant Mistry & Ronald Prent, surround producers (Engine-Earz Experiment)
Grammy Award winner much deserved.

So, the Grammy made me revisit this title. So, I fire up Foobar...and I can't find it. Huh? Well, either I never ripped my copy or I accidentally lost it in the shuffle.

So.....I dig out my massive deluxe box, find the disc and actually play a physical disc on my "new" Oppo 203.
Holy shit balls.....this thing needs to win a grammy. Oh wait...it did.

I honestly don't remember it sounding as good as I heard tonight. But, it is beautiful. :):) I had voted a 9, but I just bumped it to a 10. I mean, I can't imagine such an iconic album sounding this wonderful. It has everything single thing I love.

• Amazing fidelity
  • Immersive surround
  • Tight, powerful bass
  • Great music.

So, the Grammy made me revisit this title. So, I fire up Foobar...and I can't find it. Huh? Well, either I never ripped my copy or I accidentally lost it in the shuffle.

So.....I dig out my massive deluxe box, find the disc and actually play a physical disc on my "new" Oppo 203.

I honestly don't remember it sounding as good as I heard tonight. But, it is beautiful. :):) I had voted a 9, but I just bumped it to a 10. I mean, I can't imagine such an iconic album sounding this wonderful. It has everything single thing I love.

• Amazing fidelity
  • Immersive surround
  • Tight, powerful bass
  • Great music.
AT least you've adjusted to the new "category"...immersive....think immersive.....think immersive..

• Amazing fidelity
  • Immersive surround
  • Tight, powerful bass
  • Great music.

Yeah it sounds great. It sounded great in the 80s—a state of the art audiophile recording then—but it’s even better now.

An easy “10”. Glad you revised your vote. Only thing I don’t like about the album is the song “Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned” which I thought was a hokey, lame attempt at a “contemporary” rock song even at the time it was released. Now it just sounds embarrassing to me. (If others like it that’s cool). But other than that? Just about perfect.

Last edited:
Maybe what we really need is an Alan Parson's GREATEST HITS SURROUND BD~A and DISPENSE with ALL THE FILLER!

Makes one appreciate the Moody Blues even more as their albums contained VERY FEW additives [read: FILLER]!
:sick:
For APP I tend to like the album tracks most, so I'd probably pass on a GH set.

Last edited:
Back