Alan Wilder - "Recoil : A Strange Hour In Budapest" on pre-order.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Alan Wilder's new BluRay release "Recoil : A Strange Hour In Budapest" is now availabe for Pre Order again here after the initial limited edition deluxe set sold out in 24 hours! Full details of the project (and the contents) can be found on the dedicated mini-site for the record, but in summary I can tell you that fans are in for a treat here.
The full concert is there in 24/96 resolution for both the stereo mix & the 5.1 mix (in DTS-HD MAS), and the disc is crammed full of extras too.
These include 3 live projections (also with 24/96 LPCM audio) from the tour as well as 3 promotional flms and a special surprise extra that you'll have to buy the disc to learn about 'cos I ain't telling!!
All video is in 1920x1080/24p for the highest quality we could squeeze onto the disc and the film editors have done a really nice job here making this something better than the usual run of the mill concert production with clever use of time lapse photography cut into the performance and fairly extensive use of the back projections as well for an experience that almost makes you think you are there in Budapest. In all the director (Atilla Herko) has done an outstanding job here.

The disc is playable in all regions.

I received this one yesterday and gave it a first spin today.

It is a great set with (mostly) electronic music. Alan Wilder and his mate are doing things with a laptop and some knobs. Not sure how much is mixed live, but that does not really matter. It is more a multimedia experience with music, lights and projections.

Both the stereo and surround mixes are very well done. Surround has some immersive and some descrete parts. Spoken word is placed in the rears here and there. On some songs the center is used while in others it is absent, just depending on what works best I guess. Rears are active most of the times, and not just some audience or ambiance, but mostly the music is nicely mixed into the rears.

Will give it a few more spins later this week, and will have a look at the extra's. First glimpse gives a very positive feeling.

Hi Neil, in your New Years blog entry you mention this BD. You say that there is an alternative 5.1 mix, but where can I find that on the disc? As far as I can see I can only choose between 5.1 and stereo, and not between two 5.1 mixes.

Thanks in advance.

One that seemed to slip by well under the radar was the Alan Wilder release "Recoil: A Strange Hour In Budapest" available on BluRay featuring the full concert as well as an alternative "bonus" 5.1 mix that sounds very different to the main 5.1 mix as well as high res stereo, outstanding live footage & some great bonus videos too.

An alternative 5.1 mix would be great! (I love that about Stop Making Sense.) Because I love the SubHuman music and 5.1 mix so much I found the "main" Budapest surround mix a little tame in comparison. As an electronic show, I think the traditional stage sound paradigm can be transcended even if the original show was in stereo. I did experience this tour in Toronto, and so was mainly excited about hearing a surround mix of the show. My fingers are crossed that there is also an alt 5.1 mix on the Blu Ray. Happy with the authoring BTW. :)

Back