DVD/DTS Poll Allman Brothers Band, The - Live at Fillmore East [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of the Allman Brothers Band - LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST

• Total voters
Thanks so much.... when I read the back of the cases it doesn’t split it up into two discs. The picture you sent with the 2 discs is that the one that has the RED DTS jewel case? Thanks again so very much for all your help in this matter 😀.

Also is the Japan press of the MSFL worth the price difference sound wise or are you just paying for the 24k gold and packaging and booklet included?

Thanks so much.... when I read the back of the cases it doesn’t split it up into two discs. The picture you sent with the 2 discs is that the one that has the RED DTS jewel case? Thanks again so very much for all your help in this matter 😀.

I have this variation. It's a normal jewel case with a double-sided CD tray.

two disc (jewel case):
fillmore_dts.jpg

one disc (super jewel case):
fillmore_1disc.jpg

I only do surround, so I don't own any stereo versions of this title.

Last edited:
The dts release has an encoding mistake somewhere, I believe in Stormy Monday.

It may be mostly the Quad mix but it doesn't include the harmonica solo in Stormy Monday.
That makes me glad a did a stereo needle drop of the CD-4 LP. So I have a great sounding stereo version with the harmonic solo. I knew there was a reason I wasted my time on that project.

I have a Q4 conversion / 2-DVD set that someone out there did as well.

I understand now...and it shows that the DTS release did not use the original quad mix. I honestly don't hear where a harmonica solo would fit in the arrangement. Can you tell if it's the same recording or perhaps it's from the other night (the album was recorded over 2 consecutive nights I believe)? They might have selected the other night's version for the original CD-4 release. I'll have to see if I can find a DTS transfer of the CD-4 version. I have never heard it.
You have not dropped-in in about 9 months, but maybe you'll see this. The harmonica solo version is longer and fits fine. In fact, the first couple of notes after the last guitar solo, you hear some harmonica on that shorter edited version.

The DTS release issue the quad mix, but has the edit in Stormy Monday like the stereo mix has.

I hate to do comparison-listening as it affects my enjoyment of music (so I won't, it would make me pay too much attention to the differences from then on), but I believe the stereo mix omits completely the harmonica player, the Quad mix includes the solo and the BD "mch" release includes all the harmonica bits, the solo and an exchange between Duane and the player (there could be less-noticeable others).

If you want to get this set, do it for the music. Not too much multichannelness there, but the music is more than enough.

The DTS release issue the quad mix, but has the edit in Stormy Monday like the stereo mix has.
It also has an editing mistake at the end. I bet someone here has made a corrected version (perhaps in a different format), that I would love to have (I already have the CD-4 and the DVD-As from the open-reel tape, but you know how these things go).

It also has an editing mistake at the end. I bet someone here has made a corrected version (perhaps in a different format), that I would love to have (I already have the CD-4 and the DVD-As from the open-reel tape, but you know how these things go).
The original quad mix should have been on the blu ray release disc 3 that would have made the set perfect

Btw, the SACD 5.1 mix also uses the longer version of Stormy Monday that includes the harmonica solo.

I used the MFSL set as my stereo mix comparison, a very nice sounding version of the regular album mix.

Just received this today via Discogs and am really enjoying it.

Love hearing Duane and Dickey isolated to the rears and each drummer getting one of the mains (I’m assuming Jaimoe LF and Butch RF). The discreteness hear really affords great definition and delineation to what was previously an excellent but dense sonic soup.

Much thanks to @edisonbaggins for his recent recommendation on his superlative Life In Surround program/channel and to @sjcorne for setting us straight on the nature of the original quad mix and it’s inclusion in all of DTS-CD variants out there!

It is still very strange that a 2 disc version was released since it will obviously fit on 1 disc.
The difference between what folks will logically pay for a two-disc set and what it costs to manufacture a second CD is $$ versus cents.

I've just got a copy of this for the first time. The DTS CD in the super jewel case. When tagging the rip of my disc, I realised that the tracks are in the wrong order. You Don't Love Me is moved down to track 6, so that the two really long tracks are the last 2 tracks.

This appears to be the same running order as the 2xDTS-CD. On Discogs, the Super Jewel Case (SJC) version has the correct running order (same as original LP). So it seems that there are 4 versions of the DTS CD:

2 x DTS CD - wrong track order
SJC - wrong order (not listed on Discogs)
SJC - correct order
Standard case - correct order.

Not really important but it confused me for a while, and not knowing the tunes I only had the track length to differentiate them. I just thought it was worth mentioning in case others experience the same.

Back