• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Ambient Music. A general discussion on all aspects of this unique genre.

beerking

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
Hi All
With more and more folk on QQ showing an interest in Ambient music; it was suggested that it would be great to have a separate thread to cover all the relevant elements of this fascinating genre.
Please add any thoughts and information about new or old releases, so we can all share our passion for this unique music.
This can be about any format and mix.
Cheers
Mike

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
Here is a relevant thread:

halbroome

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Can't talk about ambient without talking about Eno! Sadly, he does not seem to work with surround, which is rather surprising, given how he loves tech and tinkering with it. . . .

I do recall he did a duo ambient show in a volcano (!) in Lanzarote. The boot I heard of it was sadly stereo, but the sound must have echoed and been very surround-like in a volcanic cavity!

Scott M4

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Can't talk about ambient without talking about Eno! Sadly, he does not seem to work with surround, which is rather surprising, given how he loves tech and tinkering with it. . . .

I do recall he did a duo ambient show in a volcano (!) in Lanzarote. The boot I heard of it was sadly stereo, but the sound must have echoed and been very surround-like in a volcanic cavity!
Yes, it's a shame that Eno doesn't release surround mixes, since many of his installations had several CD boomboxes hung around a gallery space.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
like rain through my hands...
Michael Whalen, an award winning composer, and who I believe is the King of Ambient Piano music, has a CD out that I've gone to for years to relax and even helps me sleep on some nights.

Here's a link for a youtube sample
Unfortunately, Amazon's listing for this title has the wrong music samples for it - (GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER AMAZON!)

MW-LRTMH.jpg

humprof

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score

Personally not as big on Eno's ambient music as on his songwriting. I've heard a brilliant upmix of Drums Between the Bells; I have to think much of his ambient stuff would upmix well, too (and/or sound great through a SurroundMaster). Maybe @Simon A can confirm that parenthetical?

But yes: Eno's absence from the surround world is perplexing.

Last edited:

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Personally not as big on Eno's ambient music as on his songwriting. I've heard a brilliant upmix of Drums Between the Bells; I have to think much of his ambient stuff would upmix well, too (and/or sound great through a SurroundMaster). Maybe @Simon A can confirm that parenthetical?

But yes: Eno's absence from the surround world is perplexing.
Sorry, I haven't heard the album in question. :)

humprof

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Knowing you're an ambient fan, Simon, I was thinking you might have tried running any or all of Eno's ambient titles (Music for Airports, etc.)--as opposed to his more traditional (if that's the right word for Eno...okay, it's not) pop/rock output--through the SM.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Knowing you're an ambient fan, Simon, I was thinking you might have tried running any or all of Eno's ambient titles (Music for Airports, etc.)--as opposed to his more traditional (if that's the right word for Eno...okay, it's not) pop/rock output--through the SM.
I get what you're saying, but I haven't really had the time to play around with his Ambient albums. :)

Scott M4

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Simon, if it hasn't become too pricey, there's a special edition of Drums Between the Bells that has a 2nd disc of instrument mixes of the tracks. I play that more often than the main disc, which is poetry and music.

humprof

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Simon, if it hasn't become too pricey, there's a special edition of Drums Between the Bells that has a 2nd disc of instrument mixes of the tracks. I play that more often than the main disc, which is poetry and music.
I didn't know about that one.

At some point--maybe it was when the "complete" My Life in the Bush of Ghosts was released on CD?--Eno and David Byrne released the multis for "A Secret Life" and "Help Me Somebody" and invited fans to do their own remixes. I've never heard any of the results, but I have to think that at least a few competent amateurs tried to mix in surround?