AP SACDs of Beach Boys Sunflower and Surf's Up are stereo/multichannel with 4.0 mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muckel

Its official. The Beach Boys album Surfs Up has been restored and mixed in 5.1.
Get out and on the streets. Write to your senator. Write to the President. Write to ANYONE.
Although I'm not American, I believe that its delayed release is unconstitutional and a breach of my human rights and whoever is dragging his or hers feet should be tried in the world court in The Hague.
Now I've got that off my chest, I can sleep soundly knowing that maybe in my lifetime, I might, just maybe, might be able to hear it in all its glory.

When is the music industry going to recognize people like James Guthrie, Mark Linnett, the Steves Hoffman and Wilson and all the others remastering and remixing in 'Quad' (sounds better than surround or 5.1) for all their hard work.
Maybe the Grammys could award them with a 'Quady' ??!!
Whatever.
Bless them one and all.

Well, one thing for certain, you belong here. We know about the frusrations of unreleased music in 5.1.
Rumors and inuendos chase this stuff down, and wanting it so bad, we all fall for it and wait for the fruit, that never seems to come. Like Pretzel Logic. We know it's done in 5.1, we know it's been done and done right! But! where the hell is it? We are supposed to be a free country, by the people, well, it's not that way. What gets out is out. Buy Help on BD.

Hoffman would run, not walk, from doing anything in multi-channel.

Hoffman would run, not walk, from doing anything in multi-channel.

Not exactly. Some of his Nat King Cole CD's have 3-channel sound. I doubt that he would remix anything specifically for 5.1, though. And if he were remastering old quad tapes--which hasn't happened--I doubt he would have a problem with that on its own terms. But he's definitely on the main a stereo guy.

That said, I'm curious about a 5.1 SURF'S UP, but I don't think it's that impressive an album. A multichannel WILD HONEY would be more my speed, really.

ED :)

He mixed a 4-channel tape live recording of the Bobby Fuller Four for 5.1, but it got stopped.

...That said, I'm curious about a 5.1 SURF'S UP, but I don't think it's that impressive an album. A multichannel WILD HONEY would be more my speed, really.

It's difficult to even get stereo out of Wild Honey.

There's always the decent 5.1 mix of "Sail on Sailor" to tie you over on the otherwise spotty "Surf's Up" title in the "Inside the Music" DVD-Audio series.

I think surf's up is a great album...
wild honey was mono with some pretty strained lead vocals on some of the tracks(like the title track and "I was made to love her")...thrown in with some good tracks like "let the wind blow" and "darlin'"...and the whole lp is just under 24 minutes in length...
surf's up(the title song only) has been available in 5.1 for many years now...be nice to get the rest of the lp in 5.1, instead of relying on the basic EV or dy decoding of the reel to reel tape,lp or cd ...(and the original USA Lp or the german stateside pressing seemed to be the best versions..all the cd masterings weren't as much fun to listen to)...not to mention the alternate underdub version of "take a load off your feet" which appears only on the Uk "EMI 100 year" 180 gram vinyl version(which also sounded good)

Last edited:
Its official. The Beach Boys album Surfs Up has been restored and mixed in 5.1.
Get out and on the streets. Write to your senator. Write to the President. Write to ANYONE.
Although I'm not American, I believe that its delayed release is unconstitutional and a breach of my human rights and whoever is dragging his or hers feet should be tried in the world court in The Hague.
Now I've got that off my chest, I can sleep soundly knowing that maybe in my lifetime, I might, just maybe, might be able to hear it in all its glory.

When is the music industry going to recognize people like James Guthrie, Mark Linnett, the Steves Hoffman and Wilson and all the others remastering and remixing in 'Quad' (sounds better than surround or 5.1) for all their hard work.
Maybe the Grammys could award them with a 'Quady' ??!!
Whatever.
Bless them one and all.

the whole Surf's Up album's been mixed in 5.1.!? where'd you hear that?

snippets of that thread from various contributors..

..."Come to think of it, does anyone if the mythical Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again had a dedicated quad mix, as I believe this was at one point ready for inclusion as a bonus track with a shelved yet complete 5.1 reissue of Surf's Up?..

..."I don't know the answer to the question at the end of your post, but are you saying that a 5.1 release of "Surf's Up" was completed but shelved instead of being released?"

I'm fairly sure a 5.1 DVDA version of Surf's Up was extremely close to becoming a reality not too long ago, only to be cancelled at the very last minute (and with test copies supposedly completed). Someone else here will probably know more about this...

The DVD-A was advertised as coming soon by Capitol. And it does NOT deciode with Dolby Pro Logic.

Does the mythical Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again come with a unicorn or just a blade runner SACD?

I've calmed down a bit since I started this thread and I must say that for all us in this community that I for one am not into Quadrophony just for the gimmick of it.
I sincerely believe that certain music, and I'm talking about the music industry's failed attempt in the 70's to get us into multichannel versions of established artists, has with 21st century technology, and in particular the releases of Dark Side of the Moon, Pet Sounds and the Beatles in 'Quad', given new life and a breath of fresh air to the medium and shown the world that it is not just a gimmick but actually does enhance the music that we loved to hear on anything, all those years ago.

However some recent multichannel releases have most definitely NOT been a total success.
The idiot who remixed the Marvin Gaye Collection in surround for example. Appalling.

I firmly believe that the only way we can ever hear all those quad mixes (whoever did them) is through the remastering of the original mixes preferably supervised by the artist and or the engineer, if still alive, in a high resolution format and buried on cd2 with the demos/outakes/alternative versions and bonus tracks.
Hopefully not in an 'Anniversary' 6cd box set that costs the earth a la Station to Station by Bowie.
The King Crimson catalogue is a shining example how it should be done.
Better still, the advent of HiDef streaming might circumvent the anti market antics of limited releases and prompt deletions by Sony and the record industry as a whole to wake up and give us the chance to actually purchase legally, old Quad mixes that have been withdrawn from the market.
The fact of the matter is they exist.
Crap or not, I wanna be given the chance to hear them.

Incidently, I might add that in the mid 70s, I lived in a house where we had a state of the art Quad system including CD4.
All the SQ and QS albums we had sounded better in good old stereo.
If one knew the original album you could hear or sense what was on the rear channels in stereo.

Paul Simon's first solo album (SQ) had at that time, an 'atmosphere' that I'd never heard on a record before.
The UK stereo version of Surfs Up on Stateside records was the same. All further releases on vinyl were not the same and the CD......
Piss poor.
So we live in hope.

I've calmed down a bit since I started this thread and I must say that for all us in this community that I for one am not into Quadrophony just for the gimmick of it.

Well, to be honest, there are some albums I would never have bought if they HADN'T been quad. Hearing Dennis Weaver sing, for instance, would not have been on my list of priorities, but I bought the album to find out how it would play back (fairly well), though it still isn't my kinda music.

I sincerely believe that certain music, and I'm talking about the music industry's failed attempt in the 70's to get us into multichannel versions of established artists, has with 21st century technology, and in particular the releases of Dark Side of the Moon, Pet Sounds and the Beatles in 'Quad', given new life and a breath of fresh air to the medium and shown the world that it is not just a gimmick but actually does enhance the music that we loved to hear on anything, all those years ago.

Yeah, but these titles are appreciated (if not bought exclusively) by multi-channel sound enthusiasts. For instance, I have a friend whose mother bought the Beatles LOVE on CD/DVD, not realizing that it was not only a remix album of songs blended and strung together, but that the DVD had multichannel mixes (that she didn't care about, so she thought she was buying more than she needed). So even after a media blitz and big sales, my guess is quite a few folks still don't understand what was going on there.

However some recent multichannel releases have most definitely NOT been a total success.
The idiot who remixed the Marvin Gaye Collection in surround for example. Appalling.

Well, anything that isn't mono from the '60s/early '70s isn't really 'The Motown Sound' anyway, since they put most of their time into perfecting the sound of hit singles, and that sound was, through 1972, mostly mono (that year the company finally began to make a habit of stereo 45's). I like that collection for its fidelity and clarity; fun to hear the isolated sounds that were often buried or part of the greater whole. Now, if you'd said that about the Supremes' CD-4 Japan comp, I'd almost agree with you though the culprit there was a 'pull any old tapes who cares if it's the master take' mentality.

I firmly believe that the only way we can ever hear all those quad mixes (whoever did them) is through the remastering of the original mixes preferably supervised by the artist and or the engineer, if still alive, in a high resolution format and buried on cd2 with the demos/outakes/alternative versions and bonus tracks.

Well, there are ways to hear them, but you may have to buy the original software and listen for yourself. After Sony gave up on SACD in general went their reissuing of original quad mixes from their extensive library. There just aren't enough of us to buy for them to care.

Hopefully not in an 'Anniversary' 6cd box set that costs the earth a la Station to Station by Bowie.

Yet fans have shown they will buy such lavish, limited edition sets, as they have done since long before digital audio: think of the Australian 'complete' Elvis box sets, the Buddy Holly UK/US box set, Charly's Jerry Lee Lewis Sun box, etc. The digital age made this sort of thing a regular habit, and what popular act hasn't had at least one comprehensive box? So boxes devoted to a single album, if enough material exists to justify release, can be a lot of fun. But they're not for everybody.

The King Crimson catalogue is a shining example how it should be done.

I like how the Talking Heads did theirs, even if DualDisc wouldn't have been my format of choice. No matter, the concept worked nicely.

Better still, the advent of HiDef streaming might circumvent the anti market antics of limited releases and prompt deletions by Sony and the record industry as a whole to wake up and give us the chance to actually purchase legally, old Quad mixes that have been withdrawn from the market.
The fact of the matter is they exist.
Crap or not, I wanna be given the chance to hear them.

That might work, but I'd still want a hard copy of anything I'm buying, and it would have to be playable on the 'big system,' not my computer setup. I want hi-fi sonics in a more analog setting, though I appreciate computer technology for the ease with which it brings material to us.

So we live in hope.

What else is new? But when modern, million-selling artists have no use for multichannel, hard to expect labels to put out catalog items that way with any regularity, 'cause the money they want's just not there. But once in a while we do get thrown a bone or two....

I really cannot agree with your feelings & assessment of the Marvin Gaye Collection surround mix, muckel, I think it's really very good indeed (especially considering the limitations of the source material) and a bit of an overlooked gem in latter-day 5.1 mixes imho.

I like how the Talking Heads did theirs, even if DualDisc wouldn't have been my format of choice. No matter, the concept worked nicely.

I liked how the Talking Heads discs were done here in the UK CD and DVD Jewel case and a mixture of Warner and EMI products. If teh will from teh Band is there record comanys will do it.

Q1.)

I liked how the Talking Heads discs were done here in the UK CD and DVD Jewel case and a mixture of Warner and EMI products. If teh will from teh Band is there record comanys will do it.

Oh yes! those TH DVD-A's we got over here were fabbo (still mostly cheap & easy to get) but I had to get the Brick too (despite the dreaded DualDiscs!) it's just so goddamn pretty!!! :mad:@:

very interesting point about the Warner & then EMI releases (they're near identical in presentation, you'd never really suss they were from different record labels without really looking carefully at the rear inlays & spines etc.).

I'd never realised why the last few albums were pricier/harder to get/more sought after than the others but now of course it figures, they were EMI releases and they're usually less plentiful than the Warner Hi-Rez/surround stuff.

I really cannot agree with your feelings & assessment of the Marvin Gaye Collection surround mix, muckel, I think it's really very good indeed (especially considering the limitations of the source material) and a bit of an overlooked gem in latter-day 5.1 mixes imho.

When dealing with this sort of material, you're going to have hits and misses. I think "Grape Vine" and "What Going On" work well (almost like being in the studio to hear some of the parts), while earlier tracks suffer simply due to inherent limitations. An album like SURF'S UP, on the other hand, was designed for quad, but wasn't promoted that way. Understandable, perhaps, given when it was issued and before the majors all jumped into quad enough for anyone to fully understand what was going on. If it had sold better, well, different story, of course.

When Tammi's vocal comes out of that rear speaker, it's spine-tingling. One of the best uses of surround, ever. Now that tambourine in Grapevine, however....

Back