Are Gapless Playable 5.1 FLAC Files Possible?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghalteman

I always seem to have "Gaps" between tracks when doing my 5.1 FLAC Conversions. I'm currently using the following programs to convert 96K files on Down to 5.1 FLAC Files: DVD AUDIO EXTRACTER, IMGBURN, & FooBar2000. Are there any "tricks" to stop the "Gapping"? My DTS WAV File Conversions on my Hard Drive Also play with "Gaps". Using a Yamaha BD-A1060 BluRay Player to Play my files. Sending them via HDMI to My Yamaha RX-A870 Receiver.

Its not an issue with the conversion software. Its an issue with your playback equipment, most likely the blue ray player. It can either process tracks gap-lessly, or it cant. I assume you are loading FLAC through a USB drive or something similar? I know when I have tried that on several Sony, Pioneer, and even Oppo players the tracks will not play gapless.

I have heard (but have never done it) that if you rip your music to a single FLAC or WAV file and include a Cue sheet, you can achieve gapless playback. Others should be able to provide more help with how to do this than me.

Wouldn’t it be easier to use only the receiver for flac playback? That seems to be able to handle gapless playback, see here https://nl.yamaha.com/nl/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a870/index.html
I did try plugging my hard drive in the Yamaha Receiver and playing the 5.1 FLACS, but there was no multichannel, as I recall. I only have had success playing my 5.1 FLACS through the Yamaha BD-A1060 Blu-ray Player via HDMI, but I'll try to check further about the receiver problem. Sure thought BOTH would work, but no luck so far. I read the receiver specs too.... befuddled!

Thank you all for the replies! So it's a hardware issue. As least I know I'm not making mistakes doing my conversions!! As mentioned above, I also tried playing the 5.1 FLACs DIRECTLY through my new Yamaha Receiver. It says it supports them, but I was only able to achieve two channel playback, unless there's a setting somewhere that I don't know about.. To date can only play 5.1 FLACS through the matching Blu-ray Player successfully.

I know that on the Quadio Chicago II, DVD AudioExtractor (extracting from a backup made with MakeMKV) recognized a certain file that turned out to be the whole album as one continuous track without gaps. PITA if you only want to play a certain song, but maybe you could generate a cue file to help with this. Perhaps other discs have this alternate continuous track option, but I haven't really looked.

Last edited:
If you rip dts tracks separately (ie by chapter) with DVD Audio Extractor, there will be gaps and actual little chunks missing at the start of each chapter. You need to rip the whole disc for dts and split the tracks after converting back to flac. I haven't found an automated workaround for that yet unfortunately. The "workaround" most people use to avoid splitting them manually in a DAW app is to generate a cue file (like we're back in 1998). Most media players still support that actually. Otherwise you can split them in a DAW or split them based on the cue file if it's accurate enough for you.

ffmpeg will fully decode dts2496 BTW if you are working with that. So some things have improved! Decode straight to flac, not wav! (You need more complex flags in the command to go to wav or it defaults to both 44.1k and 16 bit assuming CD res is wanted. flac output by default preserves the original sample rate and bit depth.)

After that, most media player apps have gapless playback. Even the Windows stuff like Foobar. (Not sure about the stock stuff like Windows Media Player though.)

The above replies are incorrect, sorry. DVD Audio Extractor drops some samples and makes a dropout at the beginning of every chapter if you split by chapter to dts files with direct stream demux. You actually lose little bits of audio. You really have to make a single dts file for the whole disc and then convert that single file to a single flac file. Really truly. Generate a cue file if you don't want to split it up manually.

For tracks that have enough of a silent gap to begin with, you'll never notice it. Program that segues will get slaughtered.
This only applies to direct demuxing to dts for surround program. DVD Audio Extractor will be seamless splitting by chapters to flac for stereo program.

I still use this app for ripping DVDV discs to dts files. Haven't tracked down an upgrade yet. The dts2496 format is the ringer in that many apps and media players only decode the core data. The ffmpeg app will fully decode it however and it's freeware. The command is: ffmpeg -i Title.dts Title.flac

An alternative is to just copy the VIDEO_TS folder to hard drive and play it directly with Kodi media player (if you can get past the garish GUI). Kodi used the same codec as ffmpeg and will fully decode dts2496 as well. Kodi is also freeware.

Last edited:
If you rip dts tracks separately (ie by chapter) with DVD Audio Extractor, there will be gaps and actual little chunks missing at the start of each chapter. You need to rip the whole disc for dts and split the tracks after converting back to flac. I haven't found an automated workaround for that yet unfortunately. The "workaround" most people use to avoid splitting them manually in a DAW app is to generate a cue file (like we're back in 1998). Most media players still support that actually. Otherwise you can split them in a DAW or split them based on the cue file if it's accurate enough for you.

ffmpeg will fully decode dts2496 BTW if you are working with that. So some things have improved! Decode straight to flac, not wav! (You need more complex flags in the command to go to wav or it defaults to both 44.1k and 16 bit assuming CD res is wanted. flac output by default preserves the original sample rate and bit depth.)

After that, most media player apps have gapless playback. Even the Windows stuff like Foobar. (Not sure about the stock stuff like Windows Media Player though.)

The above replies are incorrect, sorry. DVD Audio Extractor drops some samples and makes a dropout at the beginning of every chapter if you split by chapter to dts files with direct stream demux. You actually lose little bits of audio. You really have to make a single dts file for the whole disc and then convert that single file to a single flac file. Really truly. Generate a cue file if you don't want to split it up manually.

For tracks that have enough of a silent gap to begin with, you'll never notice it. Program that segues will get slaughtered.
This only applies to direct demuxing to dts for surround program. DVD Audio Extractor will be seamless splitting by chapters to flac for stereo program.

I still use this app for ripping DVDV discs to dts files. Haven't tracked down an upgrade yet. The dts2496 format is the ringer in that many apps and media players only decode the core data. The ffmpeg app will fully decode it however and it's freeware. The command is: ffmpeg -i Title.dts Title.flac

An alternative is to just copy the VIDEO_TS folder to hard drive and play it directly with Kodi media player (if you can get past the garish GUI). Kodi used the same codec as ffmpeg and will fully decode dts2496 as well. Kodi is also freeware.

Im not sure what you are saying here. I routinely use DVDAE to rip MCH DTS to FLAC in a single step and it does not drop any bits nor insert any gaps.

DVDAE has been able to decode the extended DTS stream for some time now... not just the core.

Sorry to be blunt but that's wrong.
What I said is a solution. Prove it to yourself and examine some test cases. I have and I stand by my comments 100%.

Sorry to be blunt but that's wrong.
What I said is a solution. Prove it to yourself and examine some test cases. I have and I stand by my comments 100%.

Huh?
How can it be wrong? It all exists with no missing bits and no gaps on my NAS.

I thought at first I was misunderstanding what you were saying. But you are actually serious.

Wrong, but serious.

I thought that if you want gapless with DVDAE, you have to uncheck the box that says "insert 2 seconds silence between tracks" before you start encoding.

I've made DTS-CDs of gapless albums like DSOTM and Marillion's Brave for my car and I don't get any missing chunks.

I don't think it shows up on all conversion options. I'd have to look really.
In the second window, after selecting your tracks, change the Output format to CD Image And Cuesheet and check box for Lossless FLAC, next window with Output location has the "insert 2 second box" to uncheck. Haven't tried it yet hear, but HOPEFUL !!

In the second window, after selecting your tracks, change the Output format to CD Image And Cuesheet and check box for Lossless FLAC, next window with Output location has the "insert 2 second box" to uncheck. Haven't tried it yet hear, but HOPEFUL !!

That’s not what you want. That’s gonna convert to stereo 44.1/16 FLAC with a .cue for burning to plain CD.

Last edited:
Tried playing it (the resulting file) quickly and just got one long gapless file, no index points. Didn't notice if it was as above, but I believe it probably is.

I just clicked through DVDAE and it appears that setting only shows up when you're converting to .wav + .cue (stereo or DTS). However, I also checked my 4.0 FLAC rip of Dark Side Of The Moon in Foobar and it definitely plays gaplessly. "Us And Them" flows perfectly into "Any Colour You Like".

I just clicked through DVDAE and it appears that setting only shows up when you're converting to .wav + .cue (stereo or DTS). However, I also checked my 4.0 FLAC rip of Dark Side Of The Moon in Foobar and it definitely plays gaplessly. "Us And Them" flows perfectly into "Any Colour You Like".
I can also verify that DTS tracks are converted to FLAC without gaps as well. I used Jethro Tull - A Passion Play to check for sure. Plays back on Kodi at 24/96 with no gaps between segments.

Back