Are there any good copies of Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on unscientific comparison, I prefer the sound of the SACD. If I listened in a controlled test, results could be different. I believe the surround mixes are identical but the BDA is ever-so-slightly harsh (mastering). YMMV.

That being said, I DEFINITELY prefer the SACD release because it has some additional SUPERB content relative to the BDA. Namely "Candle In The Wind (Acoustic) - Previously Unreleased"

Based on unscientific comparison, I prefer the sound of the SACD. If I listened in a controlled test, results could be different. I believe the surround mixes are identical but the BDA is ever-so-slightly harsh (mastering). YMMV.

That being said, I DEFINITELY prefer the SACD release because it has some additional SUPERB content relative to the BDA. Namely "Candle In The Wind (Acoustic) - Previously Unreleased"
I've always found the BD harsh too. Hopefully the SACD helps me finally fall in love with this mix!

And then there's the fantastic Sounding Universal MLP 5.1 DVD~A disc which sounds spectacular on my system:

1423910068_front.jpg

I likewise have the SACD and the BD~A ......NEVER done a true comparison.
Always thought the DVD/A was the best of the lot; in my former ACURA/TL/ELS SYSTEM, IT WAS MY GO TO DEMO
People would freak out over FFAF, & Harmony

Last edited:
The SACD rocks, just like the others in the series. As a fossilized vet of the vinyl years, who remembers this as "two records," I appreciate only having to put it on once, rather than all four sides :(

Don't feel the need for the blu ray, although I appreciate how good they can be. The EJ SACDs are just classic! Maybe that is why they are still so available, they keep reprinting them?

The SACD rocks, just like the others in the series. As a fossilized vet of the vinyl years, who remembers this as "two records," I appreciate only having to put it on once, rather than all four sides :(

Don't feel the need for the blu ray, although I appreciate how good they can be. The EJ SACDs are just classic! Maybe that is why they are still so available, they keep reprinting them?

I do agree that ALL the Universal/Rocket EJ multichannel SACDs are the creme de la creme of SACDs ..... I remember buying the GBYBR SACD set from Columbia House for $12.99...and paid only a few dollars more for the DVD~A version.

I've played my SACD's of GBYBR in 5.1 on my Sony SACD, Yamaha SACD/DVD-A, and Sony SACD 5.1 HTIB. It plays fine in them all.

I also have a DVD-A and it plays fine in 5.1 on both the aforementioned Yamaha and a Toshiba DVD-A player.

I've owned this on Cassette, LP, 1/2 speed master, 2 CD, Mofi Gold CD, SACD 5.1 w/DVD-V docu, DVD-A and deluxe box. All copies played well.

NO! Just kidding: The reason I prefer the DVD~A is because my Meridian 800 reference player smokes the OPPO SACD/BD~A player. I shouldn't say smokes ..... just much more refined in terms of midrange and bass extension.

Actually, all three GBYBR remixes sound fine across the board on my system and the 5.1 remix is another TO DIE FOR surround mix. If I get a chance, I'll do a rudimentary comparison and can be a guest on Life In Surround provided you pay for my airfare and put me up in a 5 star hotel [Huh]!

That's right 4-ear, my oppo 205 is a real nice machine, but my older Denon 3910 has much better LFE and midrange IMNSHO!!!

Have all 3 formats and I would firstly keep the DVD-Audio, it's always sounded better to me. It could be a bias/sentimental thing having had it early in my collection.
I prefer the Blu-Ray for different reasons it still sounds good, and you don't need a dedicated machine for it like the sacd, Dvd-A. With a nice slim case for easy storage also.

Back