Backup your music files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using WD Red NAS drives internally in computer. Two 6TB drives and one 4TB and I am all set for space (for now) with 16TBs. The backups are those older WD Elements USB external drives which used to be my player drives with all these UBS connects next to computer. They actually have blue drives in them I think. the enclosures I mean.

Those Red drives have three yr warranties and are made to tougher standards than about anything else. They have longer warranty, run cooler, quieter. The speed is only 5200 rather than the standard 7200. But they seem to be flying on my systems with 32 and 64 Gs of memory respectively. So yes, a NAS drive used in a standard computer environment is not a bad thing.

IMHO, you're better off with the 5400 RPM version. It's quieter, and you're speed limited by your gigabit Ethernet anyway. The WD Red 3TB drive is practically silent. I added a pair of the 8TB version (which is the first consumer helium drive) this year. Sadly they're a bit noisier, so I'm moving my NAS to my son's room ;) He's away at college, so no harm done.

Well that's no good! Updated link to get out of circular reference...
Thanks. So in effect, your dock takes the place of a NAS less the network capability. But actually it is network connected as long as the PC is connected.

So in keeping with the threads original intent... I too am looking for a backup solution.

I have a 4 bay NAS with two 4TB drives installed, using a mirrored RAID scheme. Of the 4TB of available storage, about 1.5TB is free and all my current audio disks are ripped. I don't watch a lot of video and at this point have no plans to rip all my video to the NAS.

I want to back up the 4TB of storage I have.

The way I see it, here are a few options and my quick takes on each.

1. Cloud based - don't like the cost, don't like the fact that its in someone else's hands. What if they shut down tomorrow?

2. Something like this , I'd be buying a 4TB (or larger) drive and use it to back up. Then remove the drive and store it off premises. It works for me. This is similar to using a dedicated portable USB HDD. The downside to the USB drive is I cant swap out a bad HDD if needed, nor can I change its size, but they do not cost much more than a standard internal drive. I don't like that these portable USB drives are usually powered by the USB port.

3. I also like this. Well reviewed, decent price. Less of the problems.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
There is a similar thread started by GOS... https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/backup-your-music-files.24778/

...that discusses backups for NAS. Maybe a mod might want to move these backup related posts over there and join them up with the thread that specifically discusses NAS backup, then move it out of the general forum and into a hardware forum.

I'm looking into backup solutions as well. So I'm following your threads on this to see how it goes for you. Im glad to see its all back up and working. Does your Zyxel NAS have a fan in it? Could it have been a thermal problem?

With respect to the Startech Dock Unit, would you purchase it again? Would a dock that allowed PC-less cloning be of more use? If you get a chance,
check out the other thread and read my last post to see the solutions i'm considering. I'd like to hear your comments.

Yes the Zyxel has a fan, which is still working. I had wondered whether my NAS had a thermal issue, as the fan had been on more often, but when I went to try and turn it back on the NAS was cold, so I don't think it was that. I haven't turned it back on after my initial retest as I'm waiting until the weekend so I can monitor it more closely. I have my suspicions its to do with one of the disc drives.

My reason for not buying the dock which allows PC-less cloning was the possible issue with its JMicro chipset and Windows 10 not quite working together due to Driver level issues, and I wanted to see if the drives would 'fire-up' (so to speak!) when not on the NAS. But I might get one anyway to do PC-less back-ups. I'd still buy the SDOCK2U33V as it is Windows 10 compatible (you just plug it in and its there), and Garry has pointed me in the right direction to go and hunt down some software to allow Windows to read Linux discs, which I'll investigate.

I started building my media server over 18 months ago and this thread reminded me to get to work on a backup solution. I’ve got a Synology DS416j with four 4TB drives in a RAID 5 configuration. Right now I’ve used 6.5TB, but some of that is duplication because I keep the ripped SACD ISOs on there as well as the flacs of individual tracks. Anyway, I looked at the cloud backup services and couldn’t find one I liked, so I decided to do the offsite backup route and bought a Western Digital 8TB My Book for $170. I’m 89% finished backing up 18 months of hard work!

Well done Paul!

I’d suggest grabbing another USB drive to backup your FLACs separately. A lot of your time would have gone into conversion and tagging those and I bet you’d pay $100 to not do that again! Keep that onsite and copy new FLACs you do to both your NAS and FLAC backup drive. (Otherwise you’ll need to recall your offsite backup drive for incremental backup)

Backing up your music files is a good idea, but some titles will resist any efforts at doing so. I have not been able to back up Pat Metheny Group's Imaginary Day, no matter what I do. I've tried MakeMKV, DVDFab, and Handbrake, and nothing gives me files I can use.

Backing up your music files is a good idea, but some titles will resist any efforts at doing so. I have not been able to back up Pat Metheny Group's Imaginary Day, no matter what I do. I've tried MakeMKV, DVDFab, and Handbrake, and nothing gives me files I can use.

Its a DVD-Audio disc. None of those programs work. Try DVD Audio Extractor, you get a free 30 day trial.

I stand corrected! It's been so long since I've had to rip a DVD Audio title. I'm pretty sure that DVDAE at one time did not decrypt DVD Audio and that is why I had ANYDVD HD in the first place - oh well! For what it's worth, I just ripped test files from Imaginary Day with DVDAE and it works just fine as 5.1 Flac. Thanks to Garry for picking up my error :oops:

I finally hooked back up my 103, after having it worked on by Oppo. Of course, I was nervous about ripping again...but it worked perfectly first try. Phew!

So, I want my 203 to be my blu-ray player...but I want my 103 to simply be my "ripping machine". Only, when I turn on my system with my Harmony One, both Oppos respond to the key punches. Geez......

Not sure how to work around that....

I finally hooked back up my 103, after having it worked on by Oppo. Of course, I was nervous about ripping again...but it worked perfectly first try. Phew!

So, I want my 203 to be my blu-ray player...but I want my 103 to simply be my "ripping machine". Only, when I turn on my system with my Harmony One, both Oppos respond to the key punches. Geez......

Not sure how to work around that....
Start here. Change one of them to a different remote #. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/714689/Oppo-Bdp-103.html?page=14

Back