BBC Matrix HJ Decoder on eBay!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
This was a prototype from the BBC that was never released to the public! Paging Oxford Dickie!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-BBC-Ma...uadraphonic-Decoder-QS-RM-QSD-2-/111122985730

"OFFERED is a quadraphonic matrix decoder working to Sansui's Variomatrix principle based on the QSD-2 in very good condition, just out of storage. This version is extremely rare possibly unique in view of its modification by Sansui engineers; the modified decoder is an engineering development sample never brought to market.

This museum piece may be the only variable-matrix HJ decoder in existence, having been modified by Sansui engineers for use as an experimental HJ-matrix decoder for evaluation tests. Matrix HJ, which had strong similarities with Sansui's QS Regular Matrix, was a compromise between the BBC's H-matrix and the J-matrix of the NRDC-backed Gerzon/Fellgett proposals. At the time, Sansui were in discussion with the BBC about the possibility of standardising surround-sound matrix parameters for broadcast use.

Following the BBC's decision against a quad broadcasting standard, I bought this experimental version of Sansui's decoder on the closure of their London office."

Thanks, but not worth the money. Firstly, it's a Sansui 'modified' for Matrix H, and not 'HJ'. The two matrix systems are different / incompatible. There was no modification done for 'HJ' because it lasted less time than 'Matrix H', which was officially 3 months.

The performance of the modified Sansui is very poor, very much a quick bodge job created by the devolopment department so that listeners could experience the experimental, and short lived, broadcasts. In the BBC's own tests it came last, well behind their own designed, but never released, prototype.

It is unfortunate that the BBC didn't continue with the original 'Matrix H' from 1975. I suspect that the devolopment team were force to create the frankenstein of all matrix's (Matrix H - 1977) because of the insistance of all broadcasts being mono compatible.

So, basically it's just an interesting curio from the past, and not worth buying. It's actually been on E-Bay for as long as i can remember.

Everytime I search Ebay it's there!, is it the same guy everytime. Put it on for £100 and I'll try for it.

I thought I'd seen it before. I did look familiar.

Personally I prefer the QSD2 with the silver front. Mine has Matrix H as has one of the QRX9001's. It just means that you loose a rear connection usually for connecting a two channel tape recorder or similar.

As a matter of interest the United Kingdom importer in 1977, Vernitron of Southampton, would not touch the QSD2 and they had to be privately imported with sales handled by the then London showroom of Sansui Audio Europe S.A., next to the Post Office Tower, in Maple Street, London.

The QSD2 was modified by the above in Antwerp, Belgium for the UK market only, along with QRX7001/777/9001/999, but only when supplied by authorised dealers. Some of these now highly collected Sansui's were sold by discounting dealers who had obtained gray imports. They are notable in the UK for having faulty Dolby B decoders fitted and I believe were sourced from the European end of the US Forces Post Exchanges in Germany.

A QRX9001 in this condition was selling for UK £189 at the Berlin PX on Truman Plaza, when in London in 1980 the same or QRX999 was over £1000 on London's Tottenham Court Road!

As you say the decoder was very poor for Matrix H or UHJ, but the broadcasts sounded better in QS Surround anyway.

Long live Sansui. Best wishes to all.

David.

Back