HiRez Poll Beatles, The - ABBEY ROAD (5.1 Surround Mix) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - ABBEY ROAD (5.1 Surround Mix)

• Total voters
It's not quite a 10 for me, great sound and of course great music, the mix is also very good. Like Plan 9 I think after a few listens the white album, just edges it. Couple that with the crappy authoring and why is the original stereo mix plus the sessions not included on the blu ray. Lots to learn from king crimson and xtc.

Last edited:
I sat down and listened to the album like it was a vinyl record that is all the way through without choosing tracks. From the beginning of Come Together I was immersed in great sounds and the great songs kept coming. Abbey Road was the first beatles album I really got into and always been a favourite. Now I am hearing things I have never heard before and even Maxwells Silver Hammer sounds great. How good does Ringos short drum solo sound? Abbey Road has never sounded so good and makes me glad I went for an atmos system. I can only give it a 10.

I was not going to give this a ten, initially. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but it did not floor me the way some of my other ten votes have.

The thing is, the more I listen to this, the more I am rediscovering the Beatles. My children, who generally do NOT enjoy my music at all, love this release.

The mix has all the elements I crave, and I feel fully immersed. I'm not ATMOS capable yet, but I'm glad that's been included.

It's getting a ten from me, because if someone said "Hey, I see the Beatles had a lot of boxed set re-releases recently, which one should I get?" I would pick this as the one to get.

Last edited:
Fantastic well balanced mix:
Main vocals from the center. Feels like the singer is directly in front of me.
Occasional tasty guitar licks from the center as well.
The bass guitar is so complex. The right front, center and left front all seem to have different bass guitar content. Separate tracks?
Nice background vocals, rythym guitars, keyboards & effects from the surrounds.
I don't like loud recordings.
If I can play at my usual max. volume of 15 then I give a beef rating of 15 (the best volume rating)
This gets a 16.5.
This can be cranked up all the way with minimal ear fatigue.
A fantastic job on this. I reconsidered and gave this my first ever "10"

Not the least bit disappointed with this as some seem to be. (Moderately that is)

Excellent mix with my first 2 listens , whats not to like ? This is the disc that ended The Beatles and shit ......did they ever go out with a bang.

Not overly p.o.'d with the price either......... $167.00 total w/tx.

Going to be my "go to" bluray for quite some time.

I suppose Giles next will be Let It Be as he did mention that as a to do.

Hoping he also does up Magical Mystery Tour , the 67 disc that follows pepper.
Either one will do , and I can hardly wait for that next 5ch masterpiece. :)

PS IT'S A TEN !!!!

I’ve always loved Abbey Road. Except for Maxwell and Octopus, that is. It’s never sounded this fantastic. Everything sounds that much more present and tangible. The bass especially is huge. Maybe the mix could have been more adventurous, but it’s excellent nonetheless. Come Together and Something sound great, but the mix really starts to shine from I Want You (She’s So Heavy) onward for me.

I’d like to give this rebuffed classic a 10, but can’t do so in good conscience after hearing the insanely stupendous surround mix on offer by the Dukes Of Stratosphear release. If I could vote a 9.5 I would, so a very high 9 will have to do.

Been listening and enjoying this one a lot since finally getting back home and having time to listen. While I love it and can't imagine I'll ever listen to it in stereo again, other than on a road trip or something, I would give it a 9 just because there's a couple things I wish were different. From the mixing choices, I wish the 3 guitar solo on The End would have circled the room. I've imagined hearing it that way since the old quad days when I always wished we had some quad Beatles. The only other real problem I have is something I've seen no one else mention so maybe it's just my ears. But I feel that the guitar on She Came In Through the Bathroom Window is too low in the mix. Maybe it is just me and I know my ears are not what they used to be and I don't vote any more because of that.
On another note, I've always had 4 albums that I considered my 4 favs for decades now. On any given day, one might be higher than another but this one, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Close to the Edge are the 4 albums that always wow me and now they're all 4 available in surround. And I'd say they're my favorite 4 surround albums as content is always king for me. So even if I rated it a 9, it's still Abbey Road and sounds better than ever!

I'm late to this party as well. I didn't rush out to get this upon release. I have to admit that I have never been much of a fan of this album. In fact, if you catch me in a bad mood, I will go on record saying it is the most spectacularly overrated record of all time. If I'm in a good mood, I will just make my point by saying it's not even in the Beatles' top 5 (that being made up of White Album, Revolver, Pepper, Rubber Sould and A Hard Day's Night or Magic Mystery Tour if you count that). How this record can regularly check out in the top 5 of all time album lists is just beyond my comprehension. Maybe it is the silly mythology surrounding it that rubs me the wrong way - the BS tale of how the Beatles "all pulled together one last time, to make their ultimate album, the four pals from Liverpool, oh how they loved each other, and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" etc etc.

To my ears, so much of the Beatle "magic" is gone by 1969. It was starting to faulter by late 1967, although there were certainly lots of flashes of brilliance after that. But there was a wide-eyed excitement and "otherness" to anything up to and including Pepper and most of Magical Mystery tour. After that, they seem to sound much more ordinary (partly be design, of course, by shedding the psychedelic sheen). I love The White Album though, just for its sheer bloody-mindedness and warts-and-all approach.

Abbey Road, on the other hand, always sounded to me like sanitized Beatles. Half-baked songs wrapped up in posh and lush production to hide the weaknesses ("The Long One" in particular). There was something distant and detached about it. For all these years, I just could never get beneath the surface of the album, and I have been wondering why I dislike it so much. Song by song, even though there are tracks I don't care for at all, it is strong enough that I shouldn't actively dislike it so much. If I tried to evaluate it critically, and setting my biases aside, I would still rate it a 4 star album (the vocal harmonies for one thing are frequently stunning and influential, just listen to The Pretty Things' great Parachute album, which sounds like an Abbey Road rip-off in the vocals department). But for a 4-star album, I sure have a way too active disliking for it.

Until now, I could not quite understand wh, but now I know: I just hate the production and/or the mix on the album! The surround mix opens it up and reveals everything! What sounded removed and distant and detached, is now enveloping and intimate and engaging! Love, love, love this mix! The surround mix on The White Album was fine, even great, but this is stellar to my ears. It doesn't change the material on the album (still uneven and sometimes lackluster, with flashes of brilliance), but what's there is much easier to enjoy. I think I will actually listen to this again, which I hardly ever felt compelled to with the old stereo mix.

8 for content, 10 for the mix, so a 9 from me.

My first vote. A 10. This is not an album that screams for a surround sound mix, but what was done was excellent. Very well balanced, excellent separation, excellent fidelity. You really appreciate all the different parts in their places and how well they were played. The biggest beneficiary to this mix is Ringo, in my opinion. His drumming sounds fantastic and it just swings in a way that I hadn't truly noticed before.

I don't have the Atmos setup so this is based on 5.1 only.

The extra tracks are great and the book is first class. The stereo remix is tasteful and retains the original mix while giving these old songs a bit more of a modern feel, particularly on the low end. It's hard to complain about anything here, really, unless it's about the lack of the original mix, but who doesn't already have that?

My first vote. A 10. This is not an album that screams for a surround sound mix, but what was done was excellent. Very well balanced, excellent separation, excellent fidelity. You really appreciate all the different parts in their places and how well they were played. The biggest beneficiary to this mix is Ringo, in my opinion. His drumming sounds fantastic and it just swings in a way that I hadn't truly noticed before.

I don't have the Atmos setup so this is based on 5.1 only.

The extra tracks are great and the book is first class. The stereo remix is tasteful and retains the original mix while giving these old songs a bit more of a modern feel, particularly on the low end. It's hard to complain about anything here, really, unless it's about the lack of the original mix, but who doesn't already have that?

Yes, It's great. I'd be interested to know if you have also listened to the atmos through your 5.1? I haven't heard many mention it, but I think it sounds terrific.

Yes, It's great. I'd be interested to know if you have also listened to the atmos through your 5.1? I haven't heard many mention it, but I think it sounds terrific.
I had not until last night. It wasn't until a few days ago where I saw on here that some receivers will decode Atmos to 5.1 and I guess mine was one that did? I thought it also sounded great, but very tough to do an A-B comparison because it's significantly louder than the regular 5.1 mix. I'm guessing it's that way because it's throwing the music of 7.1 (or is Atmos 7.2?) into a 5.1 setup. Regardless, it sounded very nice. Another 10.

I had not until last night. It wasn't until a few days ago where I saw on here that some receivers will decode Atmos to 5.1 and I guess mine was one that did? I thought it also sounded great, but very tough to do an A-B comparison because it's significantly louder than the regular 5.1 mix. I'm guessing it's that way because it's throwing the music of 7.1 (or is Atmos 7.2?) into a 5.1 setup. Regardless, it sounded very nice. Another 10.

Oh, that's interesting. I had just assumed everyone's receivers could decode atmos. My receiver reads it as Dolby TrueHD 7.1, which I then hear folded down to 5.1. Yes, louder, hey, but to me, the guitar, bass and vocals also feel even more pronounced. Anyway, all I know is, it has become my go to for Abbey Road, but also, now whenever I spot Atmos is on a BD, I check it out as well. It's like sometimes choosing to play the CD, the vinyl and now - two choices of 5.1! :)

The best Beatles album and perhaps the best album of all time. Brilliant surround. Exquisite packaging. Excellent outtakes, unlike the new Revolver set. The 5.1 blu ray is worth the admission alone. Why not issue it on blu ray? It’s the best sounding medium. Streaming “surround” is weak. Give us the real deal! Basically, this is amazing and the new Revolver set is wack.‘ It’s one of their best albums, but 4 cds for $100. Are you kidding me?

Back