HiRez Poll Beatles, The - THE BEATLES (The White Album) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - THE BEATLES (The White Album)

• Total voters
Thank you for that :) Yes, and she still is.

Just read an interview with Giles that confirmed my thoughts on the roughness of the sound:
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46152217

Thanks for finding this admsh. For those who don't want to go through it, here's the relevant section of the interview:

What were the challenges in mixing this album:

We actually started mixing it last December, and I got to January and said, "This sounds terrible. It's too clean."

The White Album is slightly trashy. It's visceral, it slaps you in the face. We'd made it sound like Steely Dan or Dire Straits... so we went back and worked out a way to preserve that sound.

We live in a world of streaming, where Blackbird could be played next to Ed Sheeran and they [should both] sound as young and fresh as each other.

So there you have it. They dirtied it up on purpose...not because of limitations of the multi-tracks. This will probably make as many people happy as it pisses off. It pisses me off no end and I'm rethinking my vote!!

So there you have it. They dirtied it up on purpose...not because of limitations of the multi-tracks. This will probably make as many people happy as it pisses off. It pisses me off no end and I'm rethinking my vote!!
I hear you, I really do. I, for one, was very worried when I listened to the pre-released mix of Glass Onion when it appeared, exactly for that reason - it sounded too clean all of a sudden. This roughness is part of the character of the album, of those recordings and the state of mind of everyone involved when the album was being made. It's the sound of its time and everything that was going on in the world. So I'm very happy with this choice. It's the same kind of thinking that made the Pepper release what it was, and I was less happy with that one. But in this case, I think it was the right decision.

oh crikey.. we all know Steely Dan and Dire Straits type records sound bloody amazing in surround..!! is he serious or is he just pulling our legs? o_O

i guess if he really means it, there's zero chance of someone the calibre of Scheiner or Clearmountain being offered the Beatles' 5.1 remixing gig (if it is indeed up for grabs).. as we all here know so well those guys know how to make a surround sound recording sound "Steely Dan Gold"; the standard all engineers should aspire to imho when doing surround music.. and if the insinuation is seriously those records are too slick and he genuinely feels that approach wouldn't work with The Beatles i get it, i kinda see where he is coming from.. but there's gotta be ways to rough up a record without obliterating it with brickwalling or loads of jacked up treble etc., not saying that's whats been done to TWA 5.1, i mean just maybe doing the kind of thing in mastering that wouldn't make for a fatiguing listen?
..especially with a double album, you don't want earache before the records over
(semi-dreading a listening slog ahead, when my copy finally turns up that is! wish i hadn't been such a cheap arse and ordered it from Amazon France now! doh! :ROFLMAO: )
The way I understand his comment is that, on his first attempt to mix TWA, he ended up with something sounding as digitally clean as Dire Straits or Steely Dan SACDs and he wanted the Beatles to sound dirtier on purpose.
I have nothing against the mentioned mixes, but I understand Giles's view. Would have liked a cleaner mix? Maybe yes, but I'm happy with what I have listened so far (while I wait for my copy that will not arrive until Thursday).
I'll be in London anyway until Friday :cautious:

I really could blather on about the majesty of this 5.1 release of The Beatles "White Album” but I will spare readers the fanboy hyperbole and just simply state that this latest 5.1 offering from Abbey Road is a revelation of surround sound.

Just a few highlights..Again, I'm holding my tongue here...

• The arrangements, and even the rawness of much of the performances, lends itself to a spectacularly wonderful soundstage. Like all great 5.1 mixes, the instruments now breathe in new and unexpected ways. THIS is why we even bother with this technology. How many times have I heard this album? And now I’m hearing new things? It’s really a mind bender. Even the songs that I thought I didn't care for so much are being reconsidered.

• The bass tone on “Birthday” is (now) really a gift from God.

• I will never skip "Revolution 9" again.

• While the famed “spiky” high end of these recordings have been ever so tempered, the true aggressive essence of "The White Album" remains. In terms of modern sensibilities, Martin and Co did NOT make the album sound “good”. Rather, while it maybe hurts a "little" less, these songs still have that sharp high-end edge that has always given this album it’s unique, if angry, thumbprint.

• “Piggies” is an utter 5.1 delight. It’s sonically rich and joyfully mixed with 5.1 in mind.

• As we all know, the perception of a release can really be colored in a negative way when the packaging is sub par. But I'm happy to report that this packaging is beautifully realized with wonderful design touches, and contains enough juicy essays to keep this Beatle freak reading. It goes in my bookcase with my first editions.

A ten. A gift. Perfection.

I really could blather on about the majesty of this 5.1 release of The Beatles "White Album” but I will spare readers the fanboy hyperbole and just simply state that this latest 5.1 offering from Abbey Road is a revelation of surround sound.

Just a few highlights..Again, I'm holding my tongue here...

• The arrangements, and even the rawness of much of the performances, lends itself to a spectacularly wonderful soundstage. Like all great 5.1 mixes, the instruments now breathe in new and unexpected ways. THIS is why we even bother with this technology. How many times have I heard this album? And now I’m hearing new things? It’s really a mind bender. Even the songs that I thought I didn't care for so much are being reconsidered.

• The bass tone on “Birthday” is (now) really a gift from God.

• I will never skip "Revolution 9" again.

• While the famed “spiky” high end of these recordings have been ever so tempered, the true aggressive essence of "The White Album" remains. In terms of modern sensibilities, Martin and Co did NOT make the album sound “good”. Rather, while it maybe hurts a "little" less, these songs still have that sharp high-end edge that has always given this album it’s unique, if angry, thumbprint.

• “Piggies” is an utter 5.1 delight. It’s sonically rich and joyfully mixed with 5.1 in mind.

• As we all know, the perception of a release can really be colored in a negative way when the packaging is sub par. But I'm happy to report that this packaging is beautifully realized with wonderful design touches, and contains enough juicy essays to keep this Beatle freak reading. It goes in my bookcase with my first editions.

A ten. A gift. Perfection.

did you see that quote between George Martin and George during the recording where Martin said 'that sounds a little bright George' and he replied 'I know and I like it'. ...sums it up.

Thanks for finding this admsh. For those who don't want to go through it, here's the relevant section of the interview:

What were the challenges in mixing this album:

We actually started mixing it last December, and I got to January and said, "This sounds terrible. It's too clean."

The White Album is slightly trashy. It's visceral, it slaps you in the face. We'd made it sound like Steely Dan or Dire Straits... so we went back and worked out a way to preserve that sound.

We live in a world of streaming, where Blackbird could be played next to Ed Sheeran and they [should both] sound as young and fresh as each other.

" It pisses me off no end and I'm rethinking my vote!!"

I didn't take away the same thought. It seems to me that they "corrected" a mistake in the mix (IE making it too clean). My read is that they returned TWA to it's original state, which, after listening, seems to be the case (at least to my ears).

Last edited:
oh crikey.. we all know Steely Dan and Dire Straits type records sound bloody amazing in surround..!! is he serious or is he just pulling our legs? o_O

i guess if he really means it, there's zero chance of someone the calibre of Scheiner or Clearmountain being offered the Beatles' 5.1 remixing gig (if it is indeed up for grabs).. as we all here know so well those guys know how to make a surround sound recording sound "Steely Dan Gold"; the standard all engineers should aspire to imho when doing surround music.. and if the insinuation is seriously those records are too slick and he genuinely feels that approach wouldn't work with The Beatles i get it, i kinda see where he is coming from.. but there's gotta be ways to rough up a record without obliterating it with brickwalling or loads of jacked up treble etc., not saying that's whats been done to TWA 5.1, i mean just maybe doing the kind of thing in mastering that wouldn't make for a fatiguing listen?
..especially with a double album, you don't want earache before the records over
(semi-dreading a listening slog ahead, when my copy finally turns up that is! wish i hadn't been such a cheap arse and ordered it from Amazon France now! doh! :ROFLMAO: )
I have to tell you that I disagree with a lot in your post.

First, you dont understand what Giles said.

The While Album is probably the lowest fi record they made, and it is noisy, distorted (some on purpose, some from technical mistakes) and somewhat harshly eq'd, particularly when tracking. That is something that cant be undone. So it is by nature "dirty".

Giles and team, using their experience, knowledge and technology were able to clean some of this dirt up and realized it changed the sound and essence of the recording.

Giles DIDNT add dirt, he simply did a version that didnt focus on cleaning it up.

You are also not well informed. This remix is not "brickwalled" and the mastering for Blu Ray and Vinyl DID NOT have any limiting to the specifications of todays cd's

I marvel at your harsh personal judgement of Giles and teams work and you havent even listened to it yet. Un real.....

The While Album is probably the lowest fi record they made, and it is noisy, distorted (some on purpose, some from technical mistakes) and somewhat harshly eq'd, particularly when tracking. That is something that cant be undone. So it is by nature "dirty".

Giles and team, using their experience, knowledge and technology were able to clean some of this dirt up and realized it changed the sound and essence of the recording.

Giles DIDNT add dirt, he simply did a version that didnt focus on cleaning it up.

You are also not well informed. This remix is not "brickwalled" and the mastering for Blu Ray and Vinyl DID NOT have any limiting to the specifications of todays cd's

I marvel at your harsh personal judgement of Giles and teams work and you havent even listened to it yet. Un real.....

thanks for the info., i will delete my previous post.

I'm going to stick up for FredBlue (adam)

First off, how do you know he hasn't heard it? Because he said his copy hasn't arrived yet? lmao.....

Secondly, he didn't say it was Brickwalled, he said something to the effect that "not that TWA was brickwalled". He was making a passing comment of dread. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, I'm just giving props to an awesome member who contributes more on a daily basis than nearly 98% of the rest of us. I suspect his contributions will long be felt longer than...well, you know. :)

Last edited:
I'd love to hear the "un-dirty" version of some of these tracks. Just out of curiosity. I like how they've stayed faithful to the "dirt" on the "Bloody Beatles White Album", but now I'm curious how good they got these tracks to sound.

Listen to the opening beats of "Birthday" to hear the advantages of the remix - the initial kick drum is either overdriven or there is tape noise on the 2009 remaster. The new remix clears that up.

I'd love to hear the "un-dirty" version of some of these tracks. Just out of curiosity. I like how they've stayed faithful to the "dirt" on the "Bloody Beatles White Album", but now I'm curious how good they got these tracks to sound.

Listen to the opening beats of "Birthday" to hear the advantages of the remix - the initial kick drum is either overdriven or there is tape noise on the 2009 remaster. The new remix clears that up.

An "un-dirty," complete version of "Back In The U.S.S.R." is on Love. Can anyone on this forum say that very clean version sounds "terrible?" But yes, this new 5.1 of TWA sounds infinitely superior to the 2009 remaster...dirtied up and all.

I'm going to stick up for FredBlue (adam)

First off, how do you know he hasn't heard it? Because he said his copy hasn't arrived yet? lmao.....

Secondly, he didn't say it was Brickwalled, he said something to the effect that "not that TWA was brickwalled". He was making a passing comment of dread. Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, I'm just giving props to an awesome member who contributes more on a daily basis than nearly 98% of the rest of us. I suspect his contributions will long be felt longer than...well, you know. :)

it's ok Gene, no animals were harmed
in the deleting of the post! ;)
more seriously, thanks for the vote of confidence buddy.. it was just a misunderstanding i guess, i never said it was brickwalled etc just thinking out loud about what might account for the harshness some QQ members were hearing.

anyway, rather than clutter up a Poll with a back and forth that could turn into a storm in a teacup, I thought it better to just delete (retreat and smile sweet!) and i'm sure i'll be able to comment freely on how i feel about the 5.1 (now i've received the actual discs) without too much brouhaha.. and if i can't, well i'll just delete that too. i'm here for fun not a hard time! :LB

it's ok Gene, no animals were harmed
in the deleting of the post! ;)
more seriously, thanks for the vote of confidence buddy.. it was just a misunderstanding i guess, i never said it was brickwalled etc just thinking out loud about what might account for the harshness some QQ members were hearing.

anyway, rather than clutter up a Poll with a back and forth that could turn into a storm in a teacup, I thought it better to just delete (retreat and smile sweet!) and i'm sure i'll be able to comment freely on how i feel about the 5.1 (now i've received the actual discs) without too much brouhaha.. and if i can't, well i'll just delete that too. i'm here for fun not a hard time! :LB
great post. Look forward to your thoughts on the 5.1

Be aware that there's a ton of full range info in the rears on some songs (like bass and drums), so if you are running smaller drivers for your surrounds, they may get overdriven if the high pass isnt set at 80hz or above.

Back