HiRez Poll Beatles, The - THE BEATLES (The White Album) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - THE BEATLES (The White Album)

• Total voters
I had a few moments to crank “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” and “Happiness Is a Warm Gun”.

OH. MAN.

Happiness is a warm gun, yes it is. Yes it is.

I don’t give many 10s. I need to listen to the revolution tracks before I vote. But this is on course for a ten.

Last edited:
I can’t give this anything other than a “10”. The only two flaws—the mastering is a bit “fatiguing” and why leave off the singles from the period even though they are detailed in the book—aren’t enough for me to ding. The packaging and all the other outtakes make up for it.

As Paul once said “shut up. It’s the bloody Beatles White Album!” And it’s in surround???? Are we serious? This really happened. And this is the mix Pepper’s should have been.

This may end up being the highest rated disc in the polls. I can understand a few 9’s. But c’mon man. It’s the bloody Beatles White Album.

Last edited:
Well anyway, I wasn't too far off...
But I certainly wasn't expecting the Billy Paul shocker...

:oops:

Well...right now it's the perfect storm for Billy Paul...just enough votes to be on the polls(11)...and with ten-10's and one 9...they are barely ahead..it won't take much for them to fall...but they might not get any more votes...which will work in their favor..to be candid... if it was based on just the audio elements and content wasn't considered...the Dutton titles would be dominating these polls.....no matter what system you use there will always be inequities....and when you see titles like Dire Straits Brothers in Arms which has 146 10's and Love with 166 10's and they are buried down the list...I don't know what to think about that....but like Jon said...it's not a competition:D

This was my favourite Beatles album just for the diversity of songs on the album. After all there are 30 songs on the album. I have just about every version of this album but all the others can stay on the shelf now because this is so good. I was only going to give it a 9 but anyone who can make Ringo singing on 2 songs sound so good deserves a 10, and that's what I voted.

great post. Look forward to your thoughts on the 5.1

Be aware that there's a ton of full range info in the rears on some songs (like bass and drums), so if you are running smaller drivers for your surrounds, they may get overdriven if the high pass isnt set at 80hz or above.

thanks for the advance warning! :eek:
i'll let you know if i have trouble figuring it out (y)
i've given the 5.1 one thorough listen (phew! it was exhausting! especially Revolution #9!) nowhere near ready to vote yet but really enjoyed the surround mix (much better balanced than Sgt.Peppers i felt) i think its gonna be a high mark when voting time comes..

Well...right now it's the perfect storm for Billy Paul...just enough votes to be on the polls(11)...and with ten-10's and one 9...they are barely ahead..it won't take much for them to fall...but they might not get any more votes...which will work in their favor..to be candid... if it was based on just the audio elements and content wasn't considered...the Dutton titles would be dominating these polls.....no matter what system you use there will always be inequities....and when you see titles like Dire Straits Brothers in Arms which has 146 10's and Love with 166 10's and they are buried down the list...I don't know what to think about that....but like Jon said...it's not a competition:D
Ironic that so many popular surround titles are buried in the mix.😂

If you look at Billy's poll, he's dropped;)

how often are the entirety of polls updated?

tsk tsk tsk. We should be voting on merit :p

My copy of Billy Paul is still on its way so I can't vote yet. but speaking of which, how does one go about changing one's votes? I was giving too many 10s when I started voting :geek: Was getting too excited by anything discrete. Being that it's all relative, I have quite a few votes that need a slight reduction.

My copy of Billy Paul is still on its way so I can't vote yet. but speaking of which, how does one go about changing one's votes? I was giving too many 10s when I started voting :geek: Was getting too excited by anything discrete. Being that it's all relative, I have quite a few votes that need a slight reduction.
You should be able to go back to the poll and change your vote.

Not sure about votes cast prior to the software change last year though. Vote changes were not allowed with the old system.

Yes we should all be voting on merit. It’s not a contest.

I would hate to think someone who maybe doesn’t even own the disc would be giving it a low vote just so some other disc can finish higher in the poll.

You should be able to go back to the poll and change your vote.
Not sure about votes cast prior to the software change last year though. Vote changes were not allowed with the old system.

Oh yeah it's right there. I remember it not being there last time I looked :) Thank you, now I just need to find all my past votes...

tenor.gif

Many if not most of us have had the experience of listening to a pair of speakers that really pop in initial hearing, but become fatiguing with a long session or with different material (JBL L-100) vs a speaker than almost makes you yawn as a first impression, but then draws you in as you continue to listen, until you aren't really noticing the speaker at all, just the music (EPI 100). This mix is the EPI 100, not flashy or gimmicky in any way, but just drawing you in, making you appreciate the music in a great way and at times in ways you never have before. "Mother Nature's Son" was just magnificent, and it's always been kind of a middle of the road track for me. I was so glad they used the slap back echo on the snare on "Helter Skelter" like on the mono instead of the dry treatment like on the stereo. If I were to pick one nit, I would say that Paul's bass seems to have lost a shade of it's wonderful upper midrange growl. The pick on Rick sound was one of the most iconic rock sounds in my mind and it is slightly softened here. As much as I was disappointed in the Pepper 5.1 is as much as I am elated with the 5.1 White Album. Giles and his team really hit a home run here.

Last edited:
The Deluxe Edition of The White Album really "knocked it out of the park" for me. I'm very happy with the new 5.1 mix which added new punch & detail to the album without changing the sonic character of the original LP. Also love the demos/sessions on CDs 3 thru 6 and the huge book that comes with the set. I voted 10.

Back