Bela Fleck

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I just noticed no one posted anything about him or his bands.
I have a show 'Live at the Quick" on dvd thats pretty good. featurs a 'tuvian throat singer" this guy sings 3 notes at once. Some pretty good stuff. I like Bela he's different with a jazz banjo.

The Bluegrass Sessions: Tales From The Acoustic Planet, Vol. 2 is excellent. String music extraordinaire. DVD-Audio 5.1. Can't believe there is no poll.

I looked all over and no mention at all. I had a vhs of a show long time ago with a bunh of really good stuff from public TV one night. the 1st time I saw them was that show. totally different band them, and caught them here twice local free show. check out the video.

They are a quartet again with Howard Levy re-joining on piano and harmonica. He is extraordinary on both and a great match for this band. we were fortunate to see them here in Nashville a few weeks ago and the new Rocked Science CD is terrific stuff. We first saw them in 1990 and chatted with each of them briefly, great people and outstanding musicians.

Acoustic Planet Vol 2 DVD-A is definitely worth having, loads of talent on great tunes.
And it's the only hi-rez surround out there for that type of music. As far as I know. Make me a liar if you can - I'd love to get some true Bluegrass - in the Bill Munroe style. Even if Union Station would put out their own album that would be worth getting.

Hi All,

I want to alert you to a quirk about the Bela Fleck/BlueGrass Sessions DVD-A. I ordered this item TWICE on Amazon, and was forced to return both copies because they were standard Redbook CDs. In both cases the package was a STANDARD Jewel Case with tray art that specifically mentioned DVD-A high resolution. On each copy, the tray art ALSO reflected the correct Catalog number for the advanced res disc. This CAT # = 9 47332-9. Once I got into the package however, the CD and the insert booklet both had DIFFERENT Catalog numbers, which are 9 47332-2, with the final numeral being the only difference. In both cases, the Oppo recognized these as regular Redbook CDs with no mch program material. I have included scans below for your inspection.

Bela CD Detail.jpg

Again, all three scans come from a single STANDARD Jewel Case which did NOT contain a surround DVD-A.

I did finally locate a copy of the DVD-A disc in a Super Jewel Case. The Catalog number is the same as above (9 47332-9), and does match on all three inserts (tray/disc/booklet).

Since I have ONLY seen incorrect discs in a standard jewel case, I would warn any shoppers to be absolutely sure the three elements match before making a purchase of this version. One copy is a fluke, but two are a trend. Inspection would be hard in a sealed copy. In this case I would explain the issue to the vendor, make the purchase, and have THEM open the package and examine the contents to verify the correct version. If it were not correct, it should then be easy to ask for an immediate refund.

Do any other members have this disc in a standard jewel case WITH the correct surround disc enclosed?

Happy hunting!

Ken

Hi All,

I want to alert you to a quirk about the Bela Fleck/BlueGrass Sessions DVD-A. I ordered this item TWICE on Amazon, and was forced to return both copies because they were standard Redbook CDs. In both cases the package was a STANDARD Jewel Case with tray art that specifically mentioned DVD-A high resolution. On each copy, the tray art ALSO reflected the correct Catalog number for the advanced res disc. This CAT # = 9 47332-9. Once I got into the package however, the CD and the insert booklet both had DIFFERENT Catalog numbers, which are 9 47332-2, with the final numeral being the only difference. In both cases, the Oppo recognized these as regular Redbook CDs with no mch program material. I have included scans below for your inspection.

View attachment 8227

Again, all three scans come from a single STANDARD Jewel Case which did NOT contain a surround DVD-A.

I did finally locate a copy of the DVD-A disc in a Super Jewel Case. The Catalog number is the same as above (9 47332-9), and does match on all three inserts (tray/disc/booklet).

Since I have ONLY seen incorrect discs in a standard jewel case, I would warn any shoppers to be absolutely sure the three elements match before making a purchase of this version. One copy is a fluke, but two are a trend. Inspection would be hard in a sealed copy. In this case I would explain the issue to the vendor, make the purchase, and have THEM open the package and examine the contents to verify the correct version. If it were not correct, it should then be easy to ask for an immediate refund.

Do any other members have this disc in a standard jewel case WITH the correct surround disc enclosed?

Happy hunting!

Ken

Mind Reader!!! I was just about to spring for it!! Hey thanks. you saved me some BS

Mind Reader!!! I was just about to spring for it!! Hey thanks. you saved me some BS

Hey leevitalone1 and others,

Just to be clear, this is an excellent recording when you get the right version. I am currently listening to this in surround, and it is excellent! It is like sitting in the middle of a bluegrass jam with masters of their instruments on all sides.

This is DEFINITELY worth seeking, but must be sought carefully because of what appears to be a manufacturing error. I contacted Warner Brothers directly about this. To their credit they returned my call, but all they could really say is "this is out of print, so there is nothing we can do to help," meaning they had no replacements waiting in the wings to correct the issue.

So please do not let my warning about the quirk stop you from buying. Just allow it to arm you with important information about making the purchase. I would give the music, recording and mix a 10 if a poll were started!

Ken

Hey leevitalone1 and others,

Just to be clear, this is an excellent recording when you get the right version. I am currently listening to this in surround, and it is excellent! It is like sitting in the middle of a bluegrass jam with masters of their instruments on all sides.

This is DEFINITELY worth seeking, but must be sought carefully because of what appears to be a manufacturing error. I contacted Warner Brothers directly about this. To their credit they returned my call, but all they could really say is "this is out of print, so there is nothing we can do to help," meaning they had no replacements waiting in the wings to correct the issue.

So please do not let my warning about the quirk stop you from buying. Just allow it to arm you with important information about making the purchase. I would give the music, recording and mix a 10 if a poll were started!

Ken

Thanks. Like I said you saved me some BS! I have low tolerence for some things, like no backing up a product. Glad you got it right though.

Back