Best Version of Steely Dan's Aja

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol. That is what I understand. But with two guys as eccentric as them I wonder. Or maybe an audio engineer ripped them off...would have had to be someone with access obviously. In any event my understanding is the Aja tracks have not surfaced in all these years so probably a moot point.
Is a real shame, that's for sure!
Agreed! With what’s happening with all the great advancements in sound, yet a band like Steely Dan only has one Hi-res release for their great album Gaucho that was issued in 5.1 DTS Many years ago! But their whole catalog is deserving of this! I’d kill for an Atmos mix of Aja!

Agreed! With what’s happening with all the great advancements in sound, yet a band like Steely Dan only has one Hi-res release for their great album Gaucho that was issued in 5.1 DTS Many years ago! But their whole catalog is deserving of this! I’d kill for an Atmos mix of Aja!
Actually Gaucho was released on both DVDA and SACD, both lossless.

You could sign the petition at Change.org that we started five years ago. (Well before the Atmos-fuelled resurgence of immersive mixing--so the petition's language is probably due for an update.)
https://www.change.org/p/universal-...ease-release-steely-dan-s-early-albums-in-5-1
As for Aja: that story has been told elsewhere. The multitracks for "Black Cow" and "Aja" went missing years ago, although the details and circumstances of their disappearance are murky. (@fredblue recently mentioned a rumor--a report?--that "Black Cow" may have turned up.) We have it on the authority of Irving Azoff, Elliot Scheiner, and Randy Aronson (the Universal archivist who was the source for the famous New York Times story) that all other multis--at least those for completed album tracks--are safe in Iron Mountain, and did not perish in the 2008 Universal Studios fire.

Neither Becker nor Fagen were ever opposed to having their material remixed for surround. When Fagen's last album, Sunken Condos, was released 2012 and he was asked in a published interview about the possibility of a surround mix, he brushed it off--not because he didn't want one, but because he thought there was no longer enough interest in surround to make it pay. Obviously, a decade later, that's no longer the case. Elliot Scheiner isn't interested in Atmos, however, so if UMe wanted to commission Atmos mixes of the first seven albums, they'd probably have to get Azoff, Fagen, and Delia Becker to sign off on using some other mixing engineer.

Last edited:
You could sign the petition at Change.org that we started five years ago. (Well before the Atmos-fuelled resurgence of immersive mixing--so the petition's language is probably due for an update.)
https://www.change.org/p/universal-...ease-release-steely-dan-s-early-albums-in-5-1
As for Aja: that story has been told elsewhere. The multitracks for "Black Cow" and "Aja" went missing years ago, although the details and circumstances of the disappearance are murky. (@fredblue recently mentioned a rumor--a report?--that "Black Cow" may have turned up.) We have it on the authority of Irving Azoff, Elliot Scheiner, and Randy Aronson (the Universal archivist who was the source for the famous New York Times story) that all other multis--at least those for completed album tracks--are safe in Iron Mountain, and did not perish in the 2008 Universal Studios fire.

Neither Becker nor Fagen were ever opposed to having their material remixed for surround. When Fagen's last album, Sunken Condos, was released 2012 and he was asked in a published interview about the possibility of a surround mix, he brushed it off--not because he didn't want one, but because he thought there was no longer enough interest in surround to make it pay. Obviously, a decade later, that's no longer true. Elliot Scheiner isn't interested in Atmos, however, so if UMe wanted to commission Atmos mixes of the first seven albums, they'd probably have to get Azoff, Fagen, and Delia Becker to agree to use some other mixing engineer.
I'm sure Steve Wilson would be MORE than delighted to remix the SD catalogue in ATMOS!

I've heard wonderful DVD~A 4.0 'dubs' of both Can't Buy a Thrill and Countdown to Ecstasy and to say they 'NEED TO BE HEARD' is an understatement...and remixed into ATMOS ..... WHEW!

As for Aja: that story has been told elsewhere. The multitracks for "Black Cow" and "Aja" went missing years ago, although the details and circumstances of their disappearance are murky. (@fredblue recently mentioned a rumor--a report?--that "Black Cow" may have turned up.) We have it on the authority of Irving Azoff, Elliot Scheiner, and Randy Aronson (the Universal archivist who was the source for the famous New York Times story) that all other multis--at least those for completed album tracks--are safe in Iron Mountain, and did not perish in the 2008 Universal Studios fire.

Neither Becker nor Fagen were ever opposed to having their material remixed for surround. When Fagen's last album, Sunken Condos, was released 2012 and he was asked in a published interview about the possibility of a surround mix, he brushed it off--not because he didn't want one, but because he thought there was no longer enough interest in surround to make it pay. Obviously, a decade later, that's no longer the case. Elliot Scheiner isn't interested in Atmos, however, so if UMe wanted to commission Atmos mixes of the first seven albums, they'd probably have to get Azoff, Fagen, and Delia Becker to sign off on using some other mixing engineer.

Well that’s some truly interesting back story and to get all three to agree is a huge task? Whie the Walter Becker estate would most likely agree, it’s Azoff whom I seriously wonder about? I hope it happens while Donald Fagen is still with us! Has his recent health concerns are troubling!

We will probably never know what exactly was lost in the Universal fire of 2008 but Steely Dan was on the list of artists who lost archived material.
I have lamented for years for a multi-channel mix of Aja, but no more.

The new 24/192 release fed thru the Surround Master is about as close to perfection as I need.
It is stunning, I hear layers and sonic details I never knew existed.

Back