Billy Joel - The Stranger 40th Anniversary Edition w/ 5.1 SACD in 7" Mini-LP Packaging

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, wonder if SONY Japan and SONY Hong Kong are having some sort of 'friendly' competition because in the last year and a half, as soon as Sony HK released a single layered mch SACD of Carole King's Tapestry, shortly thereafter, Sony Japan followed that remaster with their own Tapestry ...in you guessed it, special 7" packaging. Hmmmm! And now this BJ Stranger SACD coming on the heels of Sony HK's single~layered mch Stranger.

I doubt it. As of today, no SACD releases in 2018 for HK Sony.

Wow....great deal from CD Japan

Look what you get

40th anniversary edition of "The Stranger" from Billy Joel features SACD Hybrid format with 5.1ch surround on SACD layer produced by Phil Ramone. 2ch voice track features 2011 digital remastering by Ted Jensen. CD layer includes five bonus tracks taken from a concert held at Nassau coliseum in 1977. Disc 2 includes live tracks taken from a concert at Carnegie Hall in 1977, which is included in "The Stranger" 30th anniversary edition, and this disc features Blu-spec CD2 format for this release.

Packed in a 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging (18 x 18cm), including an inner bag, which replicates the one in its US first pressing LP. Also, it faithfully replicates an obi and label on CD surface from its Japanese edition LP. Comes with a pamphlet, a concert ticket, and a flyer, each faithfully replicating the one of "Stranger Tour" in 1978 in Japan.

Also, this set includes two ad posters, three LP single cover artworks, and two obi sleeves, each faithfully replicating the one regarding to its Japanese release. They are replicated for the first time in four decades. Includes a 24-page color booklet (from 2008's lagacy edition) and a 60-page booklet with lyrics and a description.

All for just $42.12 + shipping

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10129

On the fence with this one.

I’m pretty happy with the sound of the disc I already have of this. And I have the concert disc on the 30th anniversary edition.

But that 7” packaging is tempting and it would sit nicely with the 7” 52nd Street I have. And there’s always a chance I’ll like the mastering better.

If I could read Japanese and enjoy all the booklets and extras more, it’d be a no-brainer!

Just another retread in the annoying 7" packaging, released by Sony in 2017 same damn 5.1 mix by Phil Ramone. If you have the earlier release the only difference is the 7" packaging which for me doesn't fit in my cabinet, Ha..... My fault better buy a bigger cabinet just for the 7" disc's, no thanks.

? I don't see a 2017 multichannel SACD of this in Discogs. Only the 2001 , then the Japanese 7" in 2018

Forgive me if I’m slow but this is not the same 5.1 mix as the early 2000 SACD?

Back