Billy Joel - The Stranger 40th Anniversary Edition w/ 5.1 SACD in 7" Mini-LP Packaging

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundboy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Coming December 26, 2018

40th anniversary edition of "The Stranger" from Billy Joel features SACD Hybrid format with 5.1ch surround on SACD layer produced by Phil Ramone. 2ch voice track features 2011 digital remastering by Ted Jensen.

CD layer includes five bonus tracks taken from a concert held at Nassau coliseum in 1977.

Disc 2 includes live tracks taken from a concert at Carnegie Hall in 1977, which is included in "The Stranger" 30th anniversary edition, and this disc features Blu-spec CD2 format for this release.

Packed in a 7-inch cardboard sleeve packaging. Comes with a concert ticket replicating the one made for 1978 Japan tour, a pamphlet, three bonus cover artworks replicating ones made for singles, and more memorabilia.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10129

That's great news... If you've not got it - it's a fantastic disc! I wonder if some of the other hard to find SACD's like Toys In The Attic might find a 7" mini LP re-release?

Re-release them all I say! :cool:

unless DV can't/don't want to pursue them, i think Sony Japan is our best hope for some of these titles.. and now it looks like they're on a 7-inch BJ roll, dare we dream of the Quads of "Piano Man" & "Turnstiles" in this format..!? ..the Quads of Aerosmith's "Get Your Wings" & "Rocks" would make for wonderful companions for a 7" Toys MultiCh release (maybe the Quad rather than the 5.1?).. and then there's the Santana's, Sony can't just leave us hanging with that lavish Lotus they did (lots of Santana Quads they could do too! 10+!) i'd love them all but all those 7-inchers would be eye-watering/wallet busting unless they staggered them out over many years!! :eek:

unless DV can't/don't want to pursue them, i think Sony Japan is our best hope for some of these titles.. and now it looks like they're on a 7-inch BJ roll, dare we dream of the Quads of "Piano Man" & "Turnstiles" in this format..!? ..the Quads of Aerosmith's "Get Your Wings" & "Rocks" would make for wonderful companions for a 7" Toys MultiCh release (maybe the Quad rather than the 5.1?).. and then there's the Santana's, Sony can't just leave us hanging with that lavish Lotus they did (lots of Santana Quads they could do too! 10+!) i'd love them all but all those 7-inchers would be eye-watering/wallet busting unless they staggered them out over many years!! :eek:

Oh wow yeah those would be absolutely amazing!!! :D Come on Sony Japan! I know what to ask Santa for Christmas now...

Last edited:
Just another retread in the annoying 7" packaging, released by Sony in 2017 same damn 5.1 mix by Phil Ramone. If you have the earlier release the only difference is the 7" packaging which for me doesn't fit in my cabinet, Ha..... My fault better buy a bigger cabinet just for the 7" disc's, no thanks.

Just another retread in the annoying 7" packaging, released by Sony in 2017 same damn 5.1 mix by Phil Ramone. If you have the earlier release the only difference is the 7" packaging which for me doesn't fit in my cabinet, Ha..... My fault better buy a bigger cabinet just for the 7" disc's, no thanks.

For someone like myself that doesn't yet have a copy, isn't this new release cheaper; rather than trying to find the original OOP release?

Selling on eBay for 32.99 with 7.00 shipping from Hong Kong, a Sony Hong Kong release.
So roughly 40.00, cheaper than cdjapan. The original release would definitely be much more money if you wanted to spend it I'm sure they can be found. Be sure it's the 5.1 release not one of the stereo's.

Last edited:
For someone like myself that doesn't yet have a copy, isn't this new release cheaper; rather than trying to find the original OOP release?

It was just issued by Sony Hong Kong a year or two ago as well. The original release used to be rare, but not anymore. The mix by Frank Filipetti is the same across all versions- it's quite good, but maybe a little tamer than it could've been IMO. I'd go for the Hong Kong one unless you really need the 7 inch version.

It's funny how a couple of these old single layer discs that used to be on the rare side (Tapestry, Blow By Blow, Head Hunters, and now this) have been reissued over and over again, while the ultra-rare OOP discs from that series (Toys In The Attic, Ship Ahoy, Bat Out Of Hell, etc) and dozens of old CBS quads haven't been reissued...

I hope we get to hear Turnstiles from the discrete master tape someday...

Last edited:

Definitely YES [and No]* and it comes with a bonus Blu Spec RBCD of a BJ 1977 Carnegie Hall Concert as well as bonus cuts on the hybrid SACD RBCD layer. I do have the original Sony mch SACD and I'm 'double dipping.' It also may be the same mix as the original SONY mch SACD but probably has superior mastering with SONY's DSD QUAD upgrade. And I find that 7" packaging seductive as hell.

*ebay price on Hong Kong remaster https://www.ebay.com/itm/Billy-Joel-Stranger-Single-Layer-New-SACD-Hong-Kong-Import/361953702259?_trkparms=aid=333200&algo=COMP.MBE&ao=1&asc=20171012094517&meid=291125d97be9438fbffe90c9d2119f02&pid=100008&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=283278481324&itm=361953702259&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

BTW, wonder if SONY Japan and SONY Hong Kong are having some sort of 'friendly' competition because in the last year and a half, as soon as Sony HK released a single layered mch SACD of Carole King's Tapestry, shortly thereafter, Sony Japan followed that remaster with their own Tapestry ...in you guessed it, special 7" packaging. Hmmmm! And now this BJ Stranger SACD coming on the heels of Sony HK's single~layered mch Stranger.

SICP-10129_ADD.jpg

Last edited:
Back