Billy Joel - The Stranger

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The Wherehouse music/video chain store near me has had a "reduced price" section loaded with DVD-A, SACD, and a few DTS discs for many months. Each time I go there I pick up a few discs, and each time the prices are lower. As if all these formats are dying painful deaths.

Anyway, over the past year, I got 3 DVD-As, 2 DTS, and 3 SACDs.

Tonight I got Billy Joel's above mentioned title for $4.99. The lowest price so far I'd say. I don't yet have an SACD player, I'm still in the DVD-A world.

I just was wondering if this title uses the 70s Quad mix on the MC layer? And how does it sound? I tend to like this album a bit more than 52nd Street.

Jeff

This is a new mix, Billy solo in the center speaker. This title was never released in SQ or quad, as it came out after the "quad" era.

Yep ... a new mix and a nice one at that!! Great find especially for $4.99. You will enjoy it if you ever get a universal player or SACD.

I have also been purchasing SACDs when I see great prices in anticipation of a Q3 universal player purchase. But $4.99? Wow! Do they have any more? (I don't suppose you'd want to ship any to Wisconsin.)

mrtanner said:
I have also been purchasing SACDs when I see great prices in anticipation of a Q3 universal player purchase. But $4.99? Wow! Do they have any more? (I don't suppose you'd want to ship any to Wisconsin.)

No, it was the last one. They had several when prices were 7.99 on them, and they were down to the last one on this title when I grabbed it.

All the remaining ones left now are a bunch of non-MC single layers.

I did get Blow By Blow, Tapestry (MC Version) for 7.99 each. And The Marvin Gaye DTS for same price. And that is one of the not so common DTS titles.

The three DVD-As I got cheap were 9.99 each.

But bassically, this shows that there are deals to be found.

Jeff

Jeff Turkali said:
The Wherehouse music/video chain store near me has had a "reduced price" section loaded with DVD-A, SACD, and a few DTS discs for many months. Each time I go there I pick up a few discs, and each time the prices are lower. As if all these formats are dying painful deaths.

Tonight I got Billy Joel's above mentioned title for $4.99. The lowest price so far I'd say. I don't yet have an SACD player, I'm still in the DVD-A world.

I just was wondering if this title uses the 70s Quad mix on the MC layer? And how does it sound? I tend to like this album a bit more than 52nd Street.

Jeff

$4.99? Hmm, that sounds like a new record in terms of a low price for an SACD. Although the $9.99 sale at Best Buy on the recent 2-SACD Set by George Harrison was in the same ball park on a per disc basis !

bmoura said:
$4.99? Hmm, that sounds like a new record in terms of a low price for an SACD. Although the $9.99 sale at Best Buy on the recent 2-SACD Set by George Harrison was in the same ball park on a per disc basis !

Well, they still have tons of Thriller, Aerosmith (late title), a few Dave Brubeck Time Out, Carol King Tapestry (not MC Version). These are 7.99.

All the best stuff is now almost gone.

Jeff

Jeff Turkali said:

Jeff

52nd street sounds a whole lot better on multichannel sacd too!
I like the stranger better as an lp too but in multichannel they are both really
good!
and (as far as I am concerned )essential to my multichannel collection!

The only other studio stuff in 5.1 for Billy Joel is his greatest hits on dvd.
All of the tracks there are also remixed 5.1, but for the video clips...but they are still worth it...I.M.O....they also (due to being remixed with the video clip in mind) have some unusual stuff ,like an alternate video vocal performance in the centre speaker, with the standard studio version backing in the surround channels...so you end up hearing a Billy Joel hit remixed in 5.1 but with a different lead vocal performance in the centre.

ChristopherLees said:
....they also (due to being remixed with the video clip in mind) have some unusual stuff ,like an alternate video vocal performance in the centre speaker, with the standard studio version backing in the surround channels...so you end up hearing a Billy Joel hit remixed in 5.1 but with a different lead vocal performance in the centre.

Wow, good ears. Or did you read this somewhere? (C'mon, fess up! ;) )
You're absolutely correct though. (y)

well i own the dvd (and the 2 sacd's)and his original lp's and some cd's, it's fairly obvious when the lead vocal changes especially on a hit song you've heard a million times....they did good remixes on the dvd ....and the sacd's are great

ChristopherLees said:
well i own the dvd (and the 2 sacd's)and his original lp's and some cd's, it's fairly obvious when the lead vocal changes especially on a hit song you've heard a million times....they did good remixes on the dvd ....and the sacd's are great

Yes, they brought back Phil Ramone the producer of the original discs for the SACD Surround remixes along with engineer Frank Filipetti who also handled the 5.1 remixes on James Taylor's Hourglass and the Meatloaf Bat Out of Hell Surround SACDs, among others.

..."Get it right the first time
That's the main thing
I can't afford to let it pass
Get it right the next time
That's not the same thing
Gonna make the first time last...

la la la la la la la la la la la la laaaaa..!"

only joking! but i do love that song off "The Stranger" album!

The SACD will come up again for sensible money, you might have to wait a while but these things still do appear.

Does anyone know if the Hybrid SACDs that Acoustic Sounds is now starting to offer (which includes The Stranger and several other titles released in 5.1 surround previously) are in fact in 5.1? They are offering The Stranger in hybrid SACD for $30, but there doesn't seem to be any indication if it's in surround sound or just plain stereo. I'd pick up the Pretender offering in a second if it was in 5.1!

I'm one of the lucky ones...I have both The Stranger and 52nd St. in their original 5.1 SACD releases and paid the regular street price at the time (around $20 each). :)

They are both excellent mixes...

Jon

I strongly suspect that they will be the new MoFi editions which are stereo only.

Probably sound excellent though!

I can confirm that MFSL (or MoFi) doesn't do surround, so these are definitely stereo only.

I will definitely pick up Glass Houses when it comes out. I've already got Stranger and 52nd St. on surround Sony SACDs.

Can anyone tell me if this Amazon entry is really the 5.1 version? From the description on Amazon, it is multi channel. The post below makes me wonder.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004YC0...TF8&colid=3I71JDRM27QV8&coliid=I2RF4RLRWNVLIL

Looks like it is.........the sellers start at 49.99 Like New, but one seller at 54.99 Like New states it is the Multi

There is one on EBAY - LIKE NEW Buy It Now listing going for 39.99 plus 3 bux shipping too

The MOFI SACD SACD is stereo only

hope this helps :banana:

Back