Billy Joel's "52nd Street" 40th Anniversary Limited Edition Coming in Oct. '18

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered one myself. Thanks for the heads-up. Even though I have the US SACD, I am a sucker for these 7" repackaging. If they would ever see to do Turnstiles and Piano Man, I would be totally stoked!

Likewise, Jon, and it probably will be DSD 264 remastered from the original analogue masters. Marpow [Mark] and I are both suckers for those SHM~SACDs which came in those little cardboard boxes. I managed to snag an OOP copy of The Age of Plastic [the Buggles] from ImportCDs recently and besides being an excellent album the sound is brilliant!

https://www.importcds.com/age-of-plastic/4988005811844 [NOW on back~order]

What the heck is DSD 264? I’ve never heard of it. Normally, the 2.8224 MHz sampling rate doubles (64 times the Compact Disc sampling rate...64, 128, 256, etc. :unsure:

Perp, it's like DXD 352.8, 192, 96 PCM oversampling rates........A SACD player can only play DSD64 but download sites now offer DSD oversampling rates of DSD256 [referred to as QUAD DSD] to 'sweeten' the sound and MoFi and now SONY Japan utilize it to remaster their SACDs from analogue master tapes. IMO, it does make a difference.

Last edited:
What the heck is DSD 264? I’ve never heard of it. Normally, the 2.8224 MHz sampling rate doubles (64 times the Compact Disc sampling rate...64, 128, 256, etc. :unsure:
Quad DSD is DSD256. Above that is DSD512 and DSD1024, though good luck trying to find any music in those sampling rates. Of course, there is always upsampling with software like HQPlayer.

DSD 64 is good enough for me but I’ve heard 128 (x2 DSD) is better and more practical because it pushes the quantization noise up even further. Not sure what benefit, if any, of x4 or x8, would be. Because I use Bass Mgmt along with Room Correction software, DSD gets converted to PCM anyway. And that’s a whole ’nother’ discussion. :)

This is good news I think...the old Sony SACD was really good and hard to come by. I paid like $50 for my sealed copy maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

...or, it could just be a one-off like Carole King's Tapestry, with nothing else in the pipeline. Who knows?
Nothing else in the pipeline other than the original Quadraphonic mix of Mile Davis double album "Bitches Brew" you mean.

DSD 64 is good enough for me but I’ve heard 128 (x2 DSD) is better and more practical because it pushes the quantization noise up even further. Not sure what benefit, if any, of x4 or x8, would be. Because I use Bass Mgmt along with Room Correction software, DSD gets converted to PCM anyway. And that’s a whole ’nother’ discussion. :)
Concensus among audiophiles listening to DSD and engineers recording in DSD is that DSD256 is like listening to the original master. If you start with the original tapes, do a digital conversion to DSD256 and then remaster from that source then you can potentially have the best that SACD can possibly offer. Essentially no one records in x8(DSD512) or x16(DSD1024).

Interestingly, if you purchase a DSD256 download from nativedsd.com you can also download the DSD128 and DSD64 versions of the same music at no extra charge. Then you can do your own side by side listening comparisons to see if it makes any difference to your ears.

How all of this translates to DSD to PCM transfers is open question. The PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, BTW, tops out at DSD128. The Chord BluMK2 and Chord Hugo M Scalar convert DSD to PCM.

The Chord BluMK2 and Chord Hugo M Scalar convert DSD to PCM.
As does the OPPO 205 on DSD128.

As for DSD sound quality differences, I’m sure that is debatable. Apparently, my Denon 4400 does double DSD but, unless I’m wearing headphones, I won’t be able to compare. As per above, unless I disengage bass mgmt and room correction via my Kef speakers, I wouldn’t be able to tell either.

Sorry for the OT.

I really would like to order this, but it's a litte pricey and I don't require all the frills.

If anyone with insider info is reading this thread....

Will there be a special domestic (US) release commemorating the 40th anniversary​

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like other than the occassional hits repackaging, on the donestic front (US), Sony has given up on giving us anything else for Billy Joel.​
If you think about it, the only re-releases we've seen in the past few years have been from companies that have licensed such things as SACDs and LPs. (MoFi, Audio Fidelity and Friday Music)​
Maybe the $$ has dried up and they just don't feel it's worth the time and expense in releasing special editions when they can concentrate their efforts elsewhere.​
Not to mention, most retail stores here in the US are abandoning physical media.​
And one last point, Billy said in a recent interview that he wad not happy with the "My Lives" box set, as this was demos and outtakes never meant to be heard.​
...there’s an album Columbia put out called My Lives, and it was unfinished stuff that never should have been heard. I didn’t want anything to do with it. I refer to that album as “Twigs and Stems and Seeds” — you’re not supposed to smoke that sh**

Last edited:
Back