Billy Joel's "52nd Street" 40th Anniversary Limited Edition Coming in Oct. '18

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like other than the occassional hits repackaging, on the donestic front (US), Sony has given up on giving us anything else for Billy Joel.​
If you think about it, the only re-releases we've seen in the past few years have been from companies that have licensed such things as SACDs and LPs. (MoFi, Audio Fidelity and Friday Music)​
Maybe the $$ has dried up and they just don't feel it's worth the time and expense in releasing special editions when they can concentrate their efforts elsewhere.​
Not to mention, most retail stores here in the US are abandoning physical media.​
And one last point, Billy said in a recent interview that he wad not happy with the "My Lives" box set, as this wascdemos and outtakes never meant to be heard.​

I don't think it's a matter of $$$$$$ regarding reissuing any further Joel music in hi res [other than downloads]. The domestic 52nd Street multichannel SACD has been Out of Print [OOP] for years and IS commanding big bucks from eBay sellers or Amazon 3rd party vendors so it might've been a demand for this title which prompted SONY Japan to reissue it in DELUXE 7" packaging. [IMO, a canny move as I'll probably purchase it even though I have the original SONY mch SACD].

I agree more UNISSUED Joel Titles in QUAD would've been MORE preferable but apparently, SONY Japan didn't think so. Also, it was re~released to coincide with 52nd Street's 40th Anniversary.

As for reissuing the My Lives box sets ....a lot of box sets contain cutting room floor material that should've remained ON THE CUTTING ROOM floor and am not surprised that Joel nixed it. But I'm very surprised, that with Joel's megastar clout, he wasn't consulted before SONY released it in the first place.

Last edited:
I really would like to order this, but it's a litte pricey and I don't require all the frills.​
I suggest you go look for the what used copies of the OOP disc are going for. I think you'll find $40 quite a bargain in comparison.​
That's the way I look at it anyway...​

I suggest you go look for the what used copies of the OOP disc are going for. I think you'll find $40 quite a bargain in comparison.​
That's the way I look at it anyway...​
I guess I should have mentioned I own the original Sony 5.1 SACD already. From what I gather reading on Sony Music Shop's website, that mix has not been remastered, rather they just added the 2011 (2 channel stereo) remaster as an option on the disc. As I own the Complete Albums Collection, I guess I don't require that either.

https://www.sonymusicshop.jp/m/item...10123&link=0IGbdzJYw20-TQrSDAlBxktqYLXsjFCIuA

I'm surprised ImportCD and Deep Discount have NO listing for this as they did carry all the other SONY Japan 7" packaged mch SACDs. In fact, Deep Discount [the SHARK] has a multitude of back orders on a slew of Japanese SACDs.

In the case of importcds they have 8 different versions of that title...probably don't want any more.

In the case of importcds they have 8 different versions of that title...probably don't want any more.

Yeah, but this one's SPECIAL, Clinty. I hope at the very least SONY Japan remastered this disc utilizing their DSD QUAD mastering chain. I know the Carole King Tapestry 7 incher did boast an incremental upgrade in sonics over the original Single Layered early 00 mch SACD.

I'm surprised ImportCD and Deep Discount have NO listing for this as they did carry all the other SONY Japan 7" packaged mch SACDs. In fact, Deep Discount [the SHARK] has a multitude of back orders on a slew of Japanese SACDs.

Imports does have THIS now...the forum was just way ahead of other sources...later release date in the US..

My Billy Joel 52nd St, left CDJapan yesterday, will arrive tomorrow or Thursday.

We expect a FULL review, Markie, down to the very last detail!

BTW, your new nickname is OBI Powers.:eek:not to be confused with Opie Taylor from the Andy Griffith Show

opie_taylor.jpg

Last edited:
My copy from CDJapan arrived today, got home, grabbed a beer and some Corn Nuts, a splash of Jack Daniels, turned on the rig, and I have a McIntosh Firmware update, yes or no? I went with yes and have about 26mins to go. In the meantime I have Chicken Pot Pie in the oven and ripping more DVD-Audio's. Oh, yes and talking to you mug's.

Back