Billy Joel's "52nd Street" 40th Anniversary Limited Edition Coming in Oct. '18

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW---I can't wait to hear what's up with the mix on "52nd Street". I have one of these on order from Japan as well. I don't know if it's shipped yet or not.

Sounds to me like maybe the poster has his system set to "5 channel stereo" or some such by mistake? Hope that's all it is!
I am hoping that too. My copy is on the way from CD Japan

Oh, well, we can always encase our original BJ 5.1 SACD of 52nd Street into that gorgeous 7" packaging and call it a day. At least, it'll sure look 'purdy!'

i guess so, though it may not be necessary to slip the old disc in the new 7-inch packaging.. personally doubt the 5.1 in the new Japanese set is anything but a clone of the 5.1 on the old MCh SACD.. but its not beyond the realms of possibility.. (The)Stranger things have happened on 52nd Street.. :giggle:

Ahhh.. I didn't bother to see if those two sellers had only one copy offered. Although often it seems to be the case that when one sells, other listings are to follow. But for those who don't yet have this title, they may want to snatch these up?

Did Marshall not sell through all his inventory of this title? What did he do with the unsold stock?

When you close the doors you dispense the inventory to outlets at below value....there have been a lot of sales on Audio Fidelity titles this last year...there is a title that IMO is a great investment if you buy multiple copies and keep it for a few years...this one...that sold for over twice that amount and Dylan's music will always have value...

i guess so, though it may not be necessary to slip the old disc in the new 7-inch packaging.. personally doubt the 5.1 in the new Japanese set is anything but a clone of the 5.1 on the old MCh SACD.. but its not beyond the realms of possibility.. (The)Stranger things have happened on 52nd Street.. :giggle:

Unless SONY Japan accessed the wrong masters ....... AKA Billy Joel's 42nd Street:

27the-deuce1-superJumbo.jpg

I can't take the drama nor suspense anymore so I just inserted my brand new [sealed] copy of Silverline's SURF's UP into my player where I can bask in the luminous sunshine of California surfer dudes....3000 distant miles away from 52nd Street!

The Beach Boys "Sail On, Sailor" sounds marvelous in discrete 5.1 and the Venture's PIPELINE never sounded better!

...in Allentown...

"..i can see by what you posted
that you come from Allentown.." :p

isn't it remarkable there can be 6 different SACD releases of 52nd Street (1999=Sony US Stereo, 2001=Sony US MultiCh Single Layer, 2001=Sony Europe MultiCh Single Layer, 2001=Sony Japan MultiCh Single Layer, 2012=MFSL, 2018=Sony Japan MultiCh Hybrid 7" packaging) and yet you Can't Buy A Steely Dan Quad Thrill in New York City no more.. o_O

"..i can see by what you posted
that you come from Allentown.." :p

isn't it remarkable there can be 6 different SACD releases of 52nd Street (1999=Sony US Stereo, 2001=Sony US MultiCh Single Layer, 2001=Sony Europe MultiCh Single Layer, 2001=Sony Japan MultiCh Single Layer, 2012=MFSL, 2018=Sony Japan MultiCh Hybrid 7" packaging) and yet you Can't Buy A Steely Dan Quad Thrill in New York City no more.. o_O

But, Adam, you can still buy a thrill on 42nd Street if you look hard enuf!

New%2BYork%2BCity%2Bin%2Bthe%2B1970s%2B-%2BJean-Pierre%2BLaffont%2B(2).jpg

Busty and BUSTED!

Last edited by a moderator:
When you close the doors you dispense the inventory to outlets at below value....there have been a lot of sales on Audio Fidelity titles this last year...there is a title that IMO is a great investment if you buy multiple copies and keep it for a few years...this one...that sold for over twice that amount and Dylan's music will always have value...

Wow that is a great price on the Dylan Live disc(s). Ordered and thanks!

Wow that is a great price on the Dylan Live disc(s). Ordered and thanks!

Wow! That is a way low price. That thing probably hardly sold at all. Too specialized, very expensive to produce and too expensive for most to purchase, live, it had a lot going against it. It may be the title that actually torpedoed the AF surround program. I am sure Sony charged them full boat for it, even though they didn't have the guts to release it themselves back in 2006 (or whatever). I bet Marshall paid a lot for this one. What a bitch. BS&T's GH would have been a much better release.

Oh well.

Wow! That is a way low price. That thing probably hardly sold at all. Too specialized, very expensive to produce and too expensive for most to purchase, live, it had a lot going against it. It may be the title that actually torpedoed the AF surround program. I am sure Sony charged them full boat for it, even though they didn't have the guts to release it themselves back in 2006 (or whatever). I bet Marshall paid a lot for this one. What a bitch. BS&T's GH would have been a much better release.

Oh well.

Yep. If I had to draw a Venn Diagram, the overlap between "surround music fans" and "fans of early 60s Dylan live concerts" probably wouldn't be all that large.....

But I'll probably pick one up just because the price is so cheap. It IS one of the few AF discs I didn't buy at the time.

Oh well.

But honestly, Jon, @ $30K a pop licensing fees for those QUAD masters [more, yes, for the Dylan 2 disc set], how much longer would AF have survived with no Music Direct/Acoustic Sounds deep pocket backing to fully support it. When you consider what kind of fabulous deal Dutton has forged with Sony and the ridiculously low prices they charge even for their two~fers.....AF didn't stand a chance. But as other posters stressed, AF, under Marshal's enthusiastic auspices, did REINTRODUCE QUAD/5.1 back into the mainstream sans those fancy pricey box sets the Majors continue to foist upon us.....just for that coveted 5.1 remaster!

I can't take the drama nor suspense anymore so I just inserted my brand new [sealed] copy of Silverline's SURF's UP into my player where I can bask in the luminous sunshine of California surfer dudes....3000 distant miles away from 52nd Street!

The Beach Boys "Sail On, Sailor" sounds marvelous in discrete 5.1 and the Venture's PIPELINE never sounded better!

I have the opposite feeling...I feel dirty buying this one

IMG_3250.JPG

Oh well.
I remember posting a hunch, at the time, that the Dylan double live set spelled the death of AF's MC program. Sorry that came true. I did pick up a copy for $25. I hope that helps Marshall, somehow. He sure did a wonderful thing for us all.

Back